The Flaw of Detachment in Eckankar Dogma

  • Gnothe Seauton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2006
      Hi Liz,
      I saw this on eckankartruth and thought I'd bring it over here for more discussion. I'll have more comments later. However, isn't it interesting that Eckankar sees most things as black and white, or positive and negative, or lower and higher, or good and bad, or as attachment and detachment.
      Of course, Twitchell got his perspective and views from Radhasoami and used "The Path of the Masters" as his main resource. On page 362 is a box showing the "Passions and their Remedies." The following is listed:
      MOH (ATTACHMENT)   Viveka   Discrimination.
                                         Vairag   Detachment.
      So, Radhasoami also gives "discrimination" as an opposing remedy (virture) for "attachment."
      Twitchell changed this and used "discrimination" as the virture for GREED.
      Twitch then changed the Radhasoami remedy for GREED (contentment) to be used with LUST.
      WHY? Because the Radhasoami remedy (virture) for LUST is "Chastity, continence."
      Twitch, with a young new wife, would Not even want to follow this REMEDY for himself, and he certainly wouldn't be pulling many followers in either!
      More later!

      ewickings@... wrote:
      Subject: [eckankartruth] Musings / Talk about Detachment
        I was doing some home work and came across an interesting article on detachment. So thought I would share it here. I highlighted what stood out for me.  ;-)    To me, eckankar's *detachment*  is void of love, and denial of true human emotion.  I am glad I can walk the middle path without worrying about whether I am attached or detached.....  no longer bogged down by Klemp's dogma!
      "Attachment". Buddha described a principal cause of human suffering as "attachment"; that is to say any sentient being's attitude that clings to or grasps at anything (ANYTHING: including the notion of ego/self, the notion of other/not-self, emotions, concepts, memories, desires, events, outcomes, judgements, objects, places, beliefs, relationships--really ANY phenomena which can occur, be experienced, imagined, noticed and/or labeled) as if "it" were limited by an imposed judgement, fixed in status, space, or time, permanent, self-existent, controllable, or even tangibly real. Attachment drives an insatiable frustration of grasping vainly at that which can not truly be held onto because of its illusory, impermanent nature.
      "Non-Attachment". Non-attachment is that state of mind whereby a sentient being is able to perceive, discern, understand or otherwise appreciate anything (once again--ANYTHING--any phenomena that can be said to occur, be imagined, be labeled and/or be experienced)--sometimes called "an object of mind" or simply "labeled phenomena" as it is, in its fullness as a temporary and illusive occurrence within an infinite web of interdependent interconnected occurrences, but ABSENT the desire to judge it, control it, view it is as permanent, self-existent, and/or independent of causes and effects. Non-attachment is not clinging, not grasping. Non-attachment is related to equanimity: that equalizing yet discerning observance from all sides simultaneously without judgement or expectation. Non-attachment is necessary for the cultivation of the omniscient (enlightened) mind.
      "Detachment" Detachment is a different concept altogether.  Detachment is that illusion whereby the sentient being holds an object of mind at the artificial distance of aloof denial; it means to actively not care about something whether it is noticed or not; to willfully or carelessly attempt to deny it power or essence with the numbing opiate that is correctly called apathy, or disassociation.
      Neither attachment nor detachment are exemplary of the enlightened mind; both can be described as unskilled activities common to sentient beings, both are breakable habits, and both equally keep the sentient being in the realm of samsara (the infinite cycle of the common incarnate existence that includes birth, sickness, suffering, death, bardo, re-birth, etc). Detachment flees; Attachment chases.
      Buddha spoke of practicing non-attachment as the necessary middle path beyond ever-fragmenting samsara into all-absorbing nirvana.