Re: The Hundredth Monkey- the original source

  • eyesopen444
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12 11:23 AM
      Hi All,

      I wanted to point out another author's work in "The Book of ECK
      Parables, Volume 3".

      The Hundredth Monkey article appears on page 227 and the original
      work reads as follows:

      The Hundredth Monkey
      by Ken Keyes, jr.
      The Japanese monkey, Macaca fuscata, had been observed in the wild
      for a period of over 30 years.

      In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys
      with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkeys liked the taste
      of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant.

      An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem
      by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to
      her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught
      their mothers too.

      This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys
      before the eyes of the scientists.

      Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the
      sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable.

      Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social
      improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes.

      Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a
      certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the
      exact number is not known.

      Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99
      monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet
      potatoes.

      Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey
      learned to wash potatoes.

      THEN IT HAPPENED!

      By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet
      potatoes before eating them.

      The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an
      ideological breakthrough!

      But notice.

      A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the
      habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea --

      Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of
      monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes.

      Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new
      awareness may be communicated from mind to mind.

      Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon
      means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way,
      it may remain the conscious property of these people.

      But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a
      new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is
      picked up by almost everyone!

      (from the book "The Hundredth Monkey" by Ken Keyes, jr. The book is
      not copyrighted and the material may be reproduced in whole or in
      part. You can look at the whole book also.)

      I did not provide HK's dry, lifeless version, if anyone wants to
      read it please let me know.

      The author gave permission to share this story, so why did HK not
      print the story in its' original form and why didn't he give proper
      credit to the author, Ken Keyes, Jr.?

      It seems to me that some Spritual writers/teachers are willing to
      share their knowledge with others free of charge, while others cash-
      in every chance they get!

      After HK retells Keyes' story, he goes on to say that when
      the "hundredth monkey" in the E teachings is reached then the
      E teachings will reach the rest of the world. The jump in
      consciousness will occur because of the dynamic law of ECK. (ICK!):/

      TGIF!

      Kaye
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12 6:07 PM
        Hi, Kaye and Liz!

        You are very good at pulling up original information! Thanks for
        finding and sharing all of this. It really is amazing how even
        stories like "The Hundredth Monkey" and "The Starfish" were stolen
        by Klemp. I guess he figured that no one would really bother to
        discover this, or, even worse, care! The indifference to truth in
        order to "believe" a lie is incrediable! Obviously, in some belief
        systems, truth is not important--the fantasy of feeling more
        spiritually advanced than most people feeds the delusions of the
        mind.

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "eyesopen444"

        Message 3 of 3 , May 13 10:54 AM
          Hi Mish, Kaye, and Liz,
          This topic brings back some old memories, and points out the flaws
          in Klemp's (the Mahanta's) authenticity as even a true "Spiritual
          Leader" let alone the other outlandish claims!

          I read the "Handbook to Higher Consciousness" by Ken Keyes Jr. back
          in the 1970's when his Living Love Church was first located in (I
          think) St. Mary's, Kentucky. Keyes also wrote a book titled, "The
          Hundredth Monkey."

          I remember being at the Eck seminar talk where HK first told "The
          Hundredth Monkey" story. Therefore, this story should also be in one
          of the Mahanta Transcripts! This just goes to show how Klemp
          recycles the stories he "borrows" from others in order to "write"
          another book since Kaye mentions it is also in Parables 3.

          The STARFISH story is to point out how "special" Eckists are to the
          Mahanta, and THE HUNDREDTH MONKEY story is to point out how the
          Mahanta has helped consciousness to expand and grow for Eckists and
          for Eckists to read between the lines as to how this "expansion" has
          affected and helped world consciousness to be raised. Actually,
          Klemp never directly points out how the expancion of consciousness
          for Eckists benefits anyone except paying members of Eckankar!

          Here are some interesting quotes that I found in Twitchell's
          resource book "The Path of the Masters" from pages 226-239:

          "There is not a living being in all the world who does not benefit
          from the Master."

          "The Master is the 'Light of the world.' The Master increases the
          sum total of the light and the love of the whole world, and every
          sentient individual gets some benefit. We need not worry over the
          method. The fact of greatest importance to all of us is that the
          Supreme Father illumines and blesses the whole world through and by
          the agency of the Master. And he liberates every individual soul by
          the same instrumentality."

          "The answer is that complete surrender to the Master is the only
          avenue or path to complete liberation. This may seem rather
          paradoxical. But it isn't if you understand what complete surrender
          to the Master actually means."

          "By surrendering all to the Master, you gain everything."

          "Remember this is the Path of scientific demonstration, not a system
          of beliefs."

          "By and by, your questions will answer themselves; you will be
          surprised how very easily."

          "When the chela is ready, the Guru appears!"

          "It is a fact that there is no difference between the real Saint or
          Master and the Supreme Being himself." (pg. 214)

          "Suppose that we agree that the Supreme Being is all love, wisdom
          and power, that he is omnipresent, all-pervading. The Master is
          exactly the same, except as to his physical limitations. Spiritually
          he has no limitations. But the body is not the Master. It is only a
          covering, one of his ready instruments." (pgs. 214-215)

          "For example, if a Master has a hundred or a thousand disciples,
          each disciple will see the Master in the inner chambers of his
          being, no matter where he may go." (pg. 215)

          "To understand a real Master fully, one must oneself become a
          Master." (pg. 212) [A real Catch-22... especially for Eckists!]

          "You will not find the Master hidden away in some Himalayan retreat.
          You will see his address in this book." (pg.213)

          Anyway, I could go on and on in pointing out where Eckankar dogma
          came from. All Eckists have heard this stuff before as it has been
          applied to Eckankar... the highest teaching out there. LOL!

          I'm thinking that Klemp has a copy of "The Path of the Masters" in
          his own private library because he says the same things by using Eck
          jargon and substituting words and spellings like Twitchell did.

          What happened to the higher consciousness and spiritual growth of
          Eckists? What happened to Consciousness Five? Why have Initiations
          been slowed down under Klemp? Why have so many High Initiates left
          Eckankar under Klemp's (the LEM/Mahanta) supposed guidance and
          protection?

          The answers are that it's all a scam and lies that were passed on by
          Twitchell and Gross to Klemp! Klemp has no divine powers because he
          is no master! Instead, Klemp has helped to slow down the expansion
          of Consciousness by impeding the true Spiritual Growth of Seekers
          through the Kal trap of delusion and ego (the Mahanta & initiations).

          Prometheus