Anyone - What did it for you?

  • divawhitt
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      I'm just curious. Was there anything specific that someone said or
      did that opened your eyes to what eckankar really is? Someone very
      near and dear to me is wrapped up in all this malarkey and refuses to
      even look at any evidence of the fraudulent, "unevolved" behavior by
      the organization. I've been trying to come up with a "Eureka!"
      statement to open his eyes and haven't been successful so far.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        Hi Diva,

        Yes, there was something that opened my eyes to the lies of
        Eckankar. "Confessions of a God Seeker" by Ford Johnson was what
        finally did it! Unlike David Lane Ford was an insider.

        I know I have been knocking Ford lately, but that's because of the
        frustration of seeing him waffle on his proclaimed standards and
        allowing real cons and cults to be promoted on his BBs as an excuse
        to be "open" to all perspectives and as a means for growth for his
        HCS.

        All that aside, Ford's book opened my eyes wider to the problems
        with Eckankar which were/are always rationalized and sweept under
        the rug by me and most Eckists. Eckists follow the philosophy of...
        if it's not broke don't fix it! This is similar to... ignorance is
        bliss! Both of these approaches work well for the Eckist.

        My problem with Eckankar was that I was always a rebel, of sorts,
        and Harold's cute little one-dimensional stories always irked me.
        One can read volumns into these stories, with your own imagination,
        but the truth is that Harold just steals most of his stories from the
        initiate reports, and knows that people read their own "truth" into
        the words. Many of these stories are from well meaning spiritual
        seekers who want to desperately believe in someone (the Mahanta)
        greater than them, and be told what to do by an "enlightened"
        leader. But, their egos also need to feel superior through
        initiations and to believe they are more spiritually advanced (and
        secure) than others. This is why many of these stories are
        embellished, although, some are just straight forward and everyday
        dull with a "grasping at straws" attempt to make it into an
        uplifting Eckie story with paradoxes gone wild! It is true
        that one must be alive and be aware in the moment, but don't live
        your life in expectation of what others experience. Basically, there
        are many non-Eckists that have spiritual experiences surpassing
        those of the average High Initiate! This proves that it (IT) is more
        than just a mahanta involved within our lives and that each
        individual Soul is also their own Living Master, Mahanta, or
        Whatever.

        Perhaps, your friend just needs to watch and question the words,
        actions and behavior of the High Initiates more than he is now.

        But, in actuality, however, there is no real "Eureka" statement,
        unless, it is Ford's book! Since Ford was a 7th Initiate, RESA, and
        a dynamic spokesperson for Eckankar over the years it could be that
        your friend has heard of Ford and would be willing to read his book.
        He may not buy the book himself because of the price ($25.00), but
        if it was a gift then he just might read it. The key word here
        is "read" not skim or speed read, or browse through it. An Eckist
        needs to slowly digest and contemplate the information given
        in "Confessions." Hopefully, he would be unafraid to open his mind
        to the history and truth behind Eckankar.

        Prometheus

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "divawhitt"
        <divawhitt@y...> wrote:
        > I'm just curious. Was there anything specific that someone said
        or
        > did that opened your eyes to what eckankar really is? Someone
        very
        > near and dear to me is wrapped up in all this malarkey and refuses
        > even look at any evidence of the fraudulent, "unevolved" behavior
        by
        > the organization. I've been trying to come up with a "Eureka!"
        > statement to open his eyes and haven't been successful so far.
      • electriczinger
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          <divawhitt@y...> wrote:
          > I'm just curious. Was there anything specific that someone said or
          > did that opened your eyes to what eckankar really is? Someone very
          > near and dear to me is wrapped up in all this malarkey and refuses to
          > even look at any evidence of the fraudulent, "unevolved" behavior by
          > the organization. I've been trying to come up with a "Eureka!"
          > statement to open his eyes and haven't been successful so far.

          For myself, I asked the right question this time. I finally got fed up
          with all the abuse in eckankar, and this time, instead of going within
          and asking "what's wrong with me?" as eckancrap always suggests, I
          asked, "what's wrong with eckankar?".

          Eureka! The answers started piling in - all the teachings,
          discourses, books, workshops, etc., come out of head office, Harold
          Klemp, blah, blah, blah, so that's where the abuse is originating.
          Even though I hadn't read much on the fraudulant part of eckankar,
          with the answer above, I instantly knew that everything they were
          saying about 'the path' was true. I quit on the spot, and for the next
          little while I kept getting insights. I also went to everywhere I
          could find and read all the posts and info on the fraud. It all made
          sense and I kept getting more insights. It answered the questions I
          had about why these, and other, nasty things kept happening in a
          supposed path of love. And it explained why I had been living a life
          of hardship during my years in eckankar.

          The above may not help your friend. One has to be ready to 'see'. But,
          if one could suggest they really look at the path, and ask questions
          of 'why', rather than putting the blame on themselves, they just might
          see through the truth.
        • ctecvie
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2005
            Hello Diva,

            > Yes, there was something that opened my eyes to the lies of
            > Eckankar. "Confessions of a God Seeker" by Ford Johnson was what
            > finally did it! Unlike David Lane Ford was an insider.

            As for Prometheus, this did it for me as well! But I was already a
            bit skeptical without being able to admit that - I don't know
            what "did it" for me before reading Ford's book (in fact, he just
            voiced thoughts I had been thinking for quite a while already). I
            think it was the behavior of many Eckists I met and knew - there are
            really some very bad people in Eckankar I must say (but of course
            there are some as well whom I liked a lot). All those power
            plays ...it just became too much for me. And the actions of the
            organizations didn't help at all (remember the "last will and life
            insurance" brochure? I think that was the beginning of it, for me).
            And then I couldn't listen to Harold's talks any more, I suddenly
            thought that they were "thin soup". Of course when this idea first
            came to my mind, I thought that it was my fault. :-))

            > It is true
            > that one must be alive and be aware in the moment, but don't live
            > your life in expectation of what others experience.

            So very true! :-)
            > Basically, there
            > are many non-Eckists that have spiritual experiences surpassing
            > those of the average High Initiate!

            That is another thing that "did it" for me. I started thinking what's
            about the others, about those who haven't heard of Eckankar and
            perhaps won't ever, what will they do? And I couldn't stomach any
            more the threats from the Shariyat.

            > Perhaps, your friend just needs to watch and question the words,
            > actions and behavior of the High Initiates more than he is now.
            >
            > But, in actuality, however, there is no real "Eureka" statement,
            > unless, it is Ford's book!

            This is true. There have to be little things beforehand. And I can
            tell you that nothing you ever could say or whatever somebody else
            says, if your friend is convinced that this is his way, then he won't
            listen to any of it. One of the webgroups I participate in is a mixed
            Eckists/ex-Eckists group. For quite a while, a convinced Eckist
            participated, and no matter what we said or what information he was
            confronted with, he always kept rationalizing.

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "divawhitt"
            > <divawhitt@y...> wrote:
            > > I'm just curious. Was there anything specific that someone said
            > or
            > > did that opened your eyes to what eckankar really is? Someone
            > very
            > > near and dear to me is wrapped up in all this malarkey and
            refuses
            > > even look at any evidence of the fraudulent, "unevolved" behavior
            > by
            > > the organization. I've been trying to come up with a "Eureka!"
            > > statement to open his eyes and haven't been successful so far.

            And you won't as long as he even doesn't want to look at it... I
            found this amazing when it first happened (because it did happen a
            few times already) - I thought everybody would just have
            the "Eureka!" experience I had - but no!! I came up with lots and
            lots of things, only to hear for example "well, I didn't like this
            James Davis anyway" (when I sent them the statement James Davis made
            on one of Ford Johnson's sites).

            Anyway, you might just have to let him be ... but remember that a
            seed is planted and it will eventually grow.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2005
              Hi, Diva!

              It was Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God Seeker" that caused
              my "Eureka!" However, as Ingrid states and also Electriczinger, a lot
              of stuff was not making sense. I remember I had started reading
              the "Eck Parables" at bedtime--cute little, "thin soup" stories that
              Harold liked to tell--they weren't his stories--they were other
              people's simplistic and often ridiculous stories. Well, I'd read one
              aloud to my husband, and we both would say what the ????? Story after
              story, most just rather ridiculous to the point of causing laughter!
              And then we discovered Ford's book and we were out of there!

              Mish

              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2005
                Hi Electric,
                Yes, this is good advice for those Eckists who are having problems
                with fitting into Eckankar, and can't seem to figure out why. Once
                one figures out that Eckankar is the problem then one's eyes begin
                to open. But, those Eck guidelines and that required training for
                the missionary work is really a bit too much! Eckists can thank HK
                for the illusionary carrot of initiation and those empty promises of
                spiritual freedom. Some of Harold's volunteers do eventually have a
                wake-up call to the realization of fraud, but the process to
                discover truth is sometimes too complex for those who need a
                leader.

                Prometheus

                --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "electriczinger"