Re: Father Anthony de Mello

  • eyesopen444
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
      Hi Prometheous, Mish, and everyone!

      I've been reading up on a most interesting Indian Jesuit Priest named
      Father Anthony de Mello (1931-1987). He wrote about spiritual matters
      in an easy to read style. He caused quite a stir with the Catholic
      Church authorities and some of them tried to ban his books. Sounds
      like some others that we're all familiar with! (Don't question,
      challenge, etc. God forbid- something fresh and original!)

      I'll <snip> a couple of examples of his work to illustrate how well he
      mastered this.

      In The Song of the Bird, de Mello critiqued the fundamentalist position:

      One man spoke of going to the fair. The World Fair of Religions.
      Not a trade fair. But the competition was as fierce, the propaganda loud.

      At the Jewish stall we were given handouts that said that God was
      all-compassionate and the Jews were his Chosen People. The Jews. No
      other people were as chosen as they.

      At the Moslem stall we learned that God was all-merciful and
      Mohammed is his only Prophet. Salvation comes from listening to God's
      Prophet.

      At the Christian stall we discovered the God is love and there is
      no salvation outside the Church. Join the Church or risk eternal
      damnation.

      On the way out I asked my friend, "What do you think of God?" He
      replied, "He is bigoted, fanatical, and cruel."

      Back home, I said to God, "How do you put up with this sort of
      thing, Lord? Don't you see they have been giving you a bad name for
      centuries?"

      God said, "It wasn't I who organized the fair. In fact, I'd be too
      ashamed to visit it."
      In The Heart of the Enlightened:

      The devotee knelt to be initiated into discipleship. The guru
      whispered the sacred mantra into his ear, warning him not to reveal it
      to anyone.

      "What will happen if I do?" asked the devotee.
      Said the guru, "Anyone you reveal the mantra to will be
      liberated from the bondage of ignorance and suffering, but you
      yourself will be excluded from discipleship and suffer damnation."
      No sooner had he heard those words than the devotee rushed to
      the marketplace, collected a large crowd around him, and repeated the
      sacred mantra for all to hear.
      The disciples later reported this to the guru and demanded that
      the man be expelled from the monastery for his disobedience.
      The guru smiled and said, "He has no need of anything I can
      teach. His action has shown him to be a guru in his own right."
      Here are acouple of quotes, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

      * Wisdom tends to grow in proportion to one's awareness of one's
      ignorance.

      * "You are only a disciple because your eyes are closed. The day
      you open them you will see there is nothing you can learn from me or
      anyone."
      "What then is a Master for?"
      "To make you see the uselessness of having one."

      * You know you are a Mystic when you wake up one day and ask, am I
      crazy or are they?

      * You've got to drop something. You've got to drop illusions. You
      don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop
      something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard on your
      illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings.

      http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=father+de+mello&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dc6baa6e7158e1f3%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery%3Dfather%2Bde%2Bmello%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.articlebeach.com%252Farticle417.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.articlebeach.com%2Farticle417.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2006
        Kaye,

        I really enjoy the things you share on the message boards. I'm going
        to check out more of the writings of Father Anthony de Mello. I
        confess I have never heard of the guy--but that is to be expected of
        me! : )

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "eyesopen444"

        *

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
          Hi Mish,

          I'm so happy that you like these types of posts. I was worried that
          people might feel that I was being too pushy or preachy (sp?) with
          these. When I come across something that touches me I just have to
          share it! :)

          I suggested books by Dr. Wayne Dyer to Christy in a previous post. If
          you're not familiar with him, he has his own web site and his books
          are listed on amizon. You probably would enjoy him too. He tells you
          to look within for God and uses examples from very spiritual people
          like Mother Theresa, Father de Mello and St. Francis and also some
          extraordinary, everyday folks. When I started reading his books
          instead of a steady diet of just ebooks, I really started noticing the
          inconsistencies and nonsense. Sometimes all it takes is a healthier
          point of view to turn a situation around. I left ekult and haven't
          looked back. I also harbour no bad feelings about the experience
          because I would only hurt myself if I did. I do, however, like to
          analyze, point out and ask questions to learn as much as I can from
          it. These sites and all of you who participate never disappoint! I
          always come away with some new piece to the puzzle or something that I
          didn't realize before and it helps!

          Thanks! :D

          Have a good weekend!

          Kaye
        • eyesopen444
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
            Hi Mish,

            On my previous post-I hit the wrong key it should read "AMAZON" not
            amizon (Whoops) I don't have the best typing skills!

            Have Fun!

            Kaye
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
              Hi Kaye,
              I too enjoy your participation, suggestions, and insights as we
              analyse and explore the spiritual con of eckankult and other more
              valid areas of interest. I've read Dyer and have seen some of his
              talks many years ago, and I have read some very good books on St.
              Francis. Have you seen the film titled, Brother Sun Sister Moon? I
              think I'll check Amazon.com to see if it's on DVD and order it if it
              is.

              Yes, you make a good point about doing a comparative read of
              Eckankar (especially Klemp's nonsense) and with other sources like
              Father de Mello, Wayne Dyer, St Francis, etc. The gap widens and
              Klemp is left in the dust as one reads material of substance.
              Eckists are not only discouraged to read this other material, BUT
              when they do the delusional mind set is that it came from the Eck
              (everything is Eck) or that the Mahanta directed them to this
              material. Therefore, everything good Klemp (the Mahanta) gets credit
              for and everything bad falls on the chela! It's a win/win for Klemp
              where's he's always the "winner" while the chela ends up
              the "loser." The problem is that SPIRIT is not exclusive to
              Eckankar, although, copyrights like "ECK" are. And, chelas seem to
              be confused of this fact because they are taught to look down upon
              other religions. Eckists can quote Klemp saying one thing here and
              another thing over there, BUT the message is loud and clear...
              Eckists are "superior normal!" [09/2003 H.I. Letter]

              I don't think I harbor any really bad feelings towards Twitchell,
              Gross, or Klemp anymore than I do for President Bush. I dislike what
              they and other negative individuals in leadership positions (or
              otherwise) have done, and do, to humankind. I feel strongly enough
              that I have to speak out against them. One can help to raise
              awareness in many varied areas. The Eckankar scam, of Twitchell's
              creation, is one subject that I know something about. However, the
              best sources are those who have been there and who have the inner
              working knowledge and experience to sort out the distortions and
              piece together the truth. Thank GOD for the whistle-blowers in
              societies around the world (in the past and today)! I too would
              still be in Eckankar if it wasn't for having read Ford Johnson's
              book "Confessions of a God Seeker."

              Anyway, I finally understood why all of those goofy non-spiritual
              people were High Initiates! The confusion began to clear and the
              sanity of Self was eventually restored. I no longer was standing in
              line waiting for "initiations" and validation of My own
              consciousness! The Freedom from all burdens of Eck dogma was so
              refreshing! I recommend Non-Eckankar to every Eckist! LOL! BUT,
              let's face it... religion is for those who aren't ready for
              Spiritual Freedom. Religions are Kal traps... even those starting
              out with the best of intentions. The Truth Seeker uses everything
              and everyone as his/her teacher for he/she (It, Soul) is the true
              Master!

              Prometheus

              eyesopen wrote:

              Hi Mish,

              I'm so happy that you like these types of posts. I was worried that
              people might feel that I was being too pushy or preachy (sp?) with
              these. When I come across something that touches me I just have to
              share it! :)

              I suggested books by Dr. Wayne Dyer to Christy in a previous post. If
              you're not familiar with him, he has his own web site and his books
              are listed on amazon. You probably would enjoy him too. He tells you

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
                Kaye,

                You are a breath of fresh air! : ) It's great to read other's ideas
                and experiences. It's wonderful to have proactive members! And I
                truly love all that you contribute--you're opening new doors to
                explore for sure! Thanks again for not just reading but for posting
                too! The more the merrier! : )