Re: Kagin's Column- On Self-Righteousness

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 6:42 PM
      Hi, Kaye!

      Thanks for posting this article. I am not surprised that Kagin used
      Twain's Huckleberry Finn as an example of hypocritical behavior--
      Twain was a master of pointing that out in his talks and writings.
      Charles Dickens also was a master of getting the same point across--
      especially in the writings of "The Pickwick Papers." I was watching
      a program recently on a form of laughing yoga in India. The laughing
      was all very infectious, with the point of the exercise showing that
      laughter is good for the Soul. So, getting caught up and realizing
      our own hypocritical behavior/thinking, as well as those of others,
      might be a good platform for us to see the humor of our human
      frailities and lead us to exercise like a laughing yoga, which
      really is more fun than displaying and/or experiencing some of our
      other emotions!

      Mish

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "eyesopen444"
      <eyesopen444@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      >
      > I found this article interesting- maybe you will too.
      >
      > Have fun,
      >
      > Kaye
      >
      > KAGIN'S COLUMN
      > ON SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS
      >
      > self-righteous: confident of one's own righteousness, esp. when
      smugly
      > moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.
      > Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary
      >
      > Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But
      she
      > wouldn't. She said it was a mean practice and wasn't clean, and I
      must
      > try not to do it anymore....And she took snuff too; of course that
      was
      > all right, because she done it herself.
      > Huckleberry Finn
      >
      > The self-righteous are everywhere, trying to control our lives.
      With
> [...]
      > or control is punished. The uncooperative mark may witness a
      > presumably well meaning, but terminally self-righteous, friend go
      into
      > an inexplicable rage, answering disobedience with irrational and
      > unpleasant emotions, until the victim seems, as best worded by
      > Shakespeare, "beyond reason hated." To further complicate matters,
      the
      > person deluded by self-righteousness cannot understand when others
      are
      > disinclined to share their hostility and fail to concede the
      justness
      > of their attitudes and actions. The world as one conspires.
      >
      > The self-righteous are troubled by democracy. Why debate or vote on
      > any matter of behavior or morality when truth is available by
      decree,
      > and when correct answers may be so readily had from those who know
      the
      > answers beyond any need for question or discussion? To challenge
      such
      > persons is, in their view, malum in se--in the vernacular,
      > reprehensible, wicked, and wrong in itself--denoting a defect of
      > character revealed in the very act of rebellion against ultimate
      > authority. Thereafter, every action or motive of the errant sinner
      > will be understood and punished as an indisputably vile thing--
      another
      > example of evil attacking good. The psychological mechanism of
      > projection, and the transparent narcissism of the self-righteous,
      is
      > beyond the scope of this digression. The analogies to theology are
      > scary. If afflicted leaders possess small power, they are merely
      > annoying, comical, or pathetic. If they hold real power over
      nations
      > or ideologies, the graveyards of history harbour their heritage.
      >
      > The sad part is that they don't have to be like this. The
      > self-righteous prigs can get over it, or get therapy for it. They
      > don't have to expose themselves to the misery. Misery is optional,
      for
      > predator as well as prey, even if one thinks they have no free
      will.
      > Rational beings don't have to live with sustained rage, or with the
      > chronic paranoia of waiting for some other imaginary shoe to drop.
      > Those who live to control others could, using the power of reason
      they
      > mock, come to realize that compromise and resolution of
      disagreements
      > can be something more than capitulation or appeasement, and that,
      in
      > some things at least, they just might be--as impossible as it
      > seems--wrong. One is entitled to be smug, arrogant, and self-
      righteous
      > only if one has figured out how not to die. The outcast may well be
      > the better person. That's what the bible story of the good
      Samaritan
      > is all about.
      >
      > If we can't avoid the self satisfied--the better option--we can
      laugh
      > at them. A healthy person loves to see the pompous taken down a
      peg or
      > two, and delights in mocking their phony goodness and proper ways.
      > This is why the common folk laugh when a stuffed shirt slips on a
      > banana skin. But what about self-righteous secular humanists who,
      in
      > hardening their hearts and softening their minds, do real harm to
      > those who actually favor free inquiry? Maybe we should create a
      > Secular Humanist Hall of Shame. Here could be enrolled and
      > acknowledged those whose actions have earned them the herein
      proposed
      > SHAME (Secular Humanist Arrogantly Making Enemies) Award.
      >
      > As adolescent fantasies are best left to adolescents, so childish
      > needs to have one's own way are best left to children, who will
      > hopefully outgrow them. Adults should, to borrow again from the
      bible,
      > "put away childish things." It would be sad to die without growing
      up.

      > For everything there is a season,
      > For every act there is a reason;
      > As a garden reflects its seeds,
      > Deeds of life tell that life's needs.
      >
      > May, 1997
      > http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?
      query=self+righteousness+and+religion&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redi
      r%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D26fabe075d269af9%26clickedItemRank%
      3D12%26userQuery%3Dself%2Brighteousness%2Band%2Breligion%
      26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.edwinkagin.com%252Fcolumns%
      252Fself-righteousness.htm%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%
      3DNSCPResultsT%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%
      2Fwww.edwinkagin.com%2Fcolumns%2Fself-righteousness.htm

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 7:43 PM
        Hi Kaye,
        Thamks for posting this. I couldn't help but think of Klemp and some
        others while reading this. I would say that HK fits the descriptions
        of being both self-righteous and a hypocrite!

        Prometheus

        eyesopen wrote:

[...]

        The existence of such personalities is not new. Jesus is reported to

        http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jspquery=self+righteousness+n