Cults (Eckankar Mentioned) Front Page Story!

  • Gnothe Seauton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2006
      This is Colleen's post exposing another cult/scam similar to Eckankar.

      To: eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com
      From: "colleenmft" <colleenmft@...>
      Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:58:35 -0000
      Subject: [eckankartruth] Cults (Eckankar Mentioned) Front Page Story!

      My previous post didn't go through, so I'll try again...

      Hello My Online Friends,

      It's been a long time, but I wanted to let you know about the

      I instigated a cover story on cults in Marin, written by Jill Kramer, reporter for the Pacific Sun, a free weekly paper that hit the newsstands and home deliveries everywhere in Marin County today.
      The link to the online story is http://www.pacificsun.com/.

      She focuses primarily on The Miracle of Love but includes in the paper inserts of other groups with "questionable religious teachings currently active in Marin" along with Michael Langone and Janja Lalich's list of Cult Characteristics. She interviewed former cult members, Janja and myself. It's great to feel that we are working together as a network for cult awareness and recovery.

      The online version doesn't include the following so I wanted to include it here:

      "Other Groups"

      "Miracle of Love is hardly the only group with questionable religious teachings currently active in Marin. A few of the others are:

      "Adidam -- This group was founded by Franklin Jones, who later went by the names Bubba Free John and Da Free John, and who now calls himself Adi Da. Jones and his group have been sued twice for charges including fraud, assault and battery  and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Both suits were settled out of court.

      "Soka Gakkai -- Originally affiliated with Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism, the leader of this group, Daisaku Ikeda, was excommunicated by the priesthood in 1991 over ideological differences. He now teaches a unique version of Nichiren Buddism and exerts enormous political power in Japan.

      "Eckankar -- With a home office in Minneapolis, this group has been operating locally out of a storefront in downtown San Rafael for more than 30 years. The spiritual leader and Living Eck Master is Harold Klemp, the latest in a supposed line of hundreds of masters
      going back to ancient times. Klemp claims mystical powers, appearing as a vision to help and protect followers in need."

      Regards to All...

      Yahoo! Travel
      Find great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!