RE: " Temporary Postal Clerk Story"

  • eyesopen444
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 6:12 PM
      Hi Prometheus and everyone!

      I just have to add yet another perspective on this story.

      ctecvie wrote:

      Hi all,

      this is the original postal clerk story as posted by "Nacal" on the
      Truth-Seeker site on 6/8/2004

      H.I. Letter "The Temporary Postal Clerk" September 2003
      by Nacal

      Hello Everyone,
      I thought I would refresh some memories with the Temporary Postal
      Clerk story.

      This is to address comments made by Harold Klemp (spiritual leader
      of Eckankar) toward a temporary postal clerk that Harold's wife Joan
      had dealings with. Ask yourself: Why did Klemp find it necessary to
      even mention this incident in the H.I. Letter; Why was he so
      emotionally involved with this hearsay account; and Why was he so
      unloving toward this Soul?

      HK-
      "Joan went to the post office to conduct some business. The THREE
      regular postal clerks were on vacation, and THREE fill-ins were in
      place. Joan asked one clerk, a SURLY man who'd served her some weeks
      earlier as a fill-in, to please check if she had a package. He THREW
      BACK a DARK LOOK. `I'll need to see some identification.' Joan
      returned a puzzled look. Show an ID for a package that might not be
      there?" [My caps]

      N-
      Now why was Joan puzzled? How difficult is it to get your ID out?
      Maybe Joan isn't use to an underling giving her orders (she is the
      wife of the man with the highest consciousness on earth and she is
      second in command at Eckankar regardless of what Peter may think)!

      Also, the LAW OF ECONOMY and common sense would be applied here as
      well. Why would the clerk take the time to look through dozens of
      packages only to find out that the customer forgot their ID? Or,
      what if the package was for someone else who had to present their
      own ID if the package had a different address (the ESC) than on her
      (Joan's) driver license?

      ME:
      *In real life: I'm grateful that there are THREE replacement Clerks
      available and that they're all working (not on break) when I arrive.
      I'm relieved that the Clerk is following precedure in an efficient
      MANNER in an attempt to SERVE us all in a timely MANNER.

      *In Spirit: I can choose to be a POSITIVE source of Spirit(GOD) by
      sending UNCONDITIONAL LOVE to the STRESSED OUT Clerk AND to the
      DIFFICULT customer.

      HK-
      "With all the SELF-IMPORTANCE of an UNCIVIL servant, he said, `There
      are no normal people here today!' That explained everything. It'd
      been a hard day all around. The difference between them is that the
      clerk holds on to things he feels are out of order, while Joan lets
      the slights of other people go. She doesn't hang on to a bad
      encounter with a person who behaves in a BOORISH manner. She
      SURRENDERS to the ECK." [My caps except on eck]

      N-
      I would disagree with Harold and say that the difference between
      Joan and the temporary postal clerk is that Joan is an 8th initiate
      in Eckankar, and that she was WRONG not to think that she should
      show her ID before the clerk went to look for the package. Also, I
      don't believe that Joan does Not hold on to things, or that she lets
      the slights of other people go! Besides, why does she even see this
      as a slight? Is she reading her own aura, and is this a reflection
      her own feelings and not the temporary clerk? Joan seems to have a
      very strong ego that felt challenged by a lesser valued Soul. She
      obviously mentioned the whole experience to Harold when she got home
      instead of letting it go! And, Harold obviously felt insulted and
      wronged for his wife (according to her account), and became
      emotionally involved in order to make these negative and unloving
      comments about this Soul.

      ME:
      *In reality: I comply with procedure because the Clerk is just doing
      his job and I don't want to cause TROUBLE or DELAY others who are also
      waiting.

      *In Spirit: I feel SYMPATHY for the STRESSED OUT CLERK and continue to
      send UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and I am PATIENT as I wait my turn. I don't
      JUDGE the CLERK or the CUSTOMER because I don't want to add to the
      NEGATIVE ENERGY. Complaining about this situation to anyone only
      perpetuates AND creates more NEGATIVITY.

      HK-
      "The Golden-tongued Wisdom had spoken in the clerk's own words:
      There are no normal people here today.' He'd then said that he
      couldn't issue a postal money order—a basic post-office service.
      Joan, of course, persisted. Another clerk was happy to sell her a
      money order."

      N-
      I find that this is an abuse of the term Golden-tongued Wisdom since
      Harold is using it as a way to slight this temporary postal clerk.
      Besides, are Truth/God Seekers "normal people?" I don't think so!
      Also, could it be that this temporary clerk was not trained to do
      money orders, or that only one person had this duty? Why am I able
      to see this and Harold and Joan can't?

      ME:
      *In real life: WOW! ONE of the Clerks can make out a money order. I'm
      GRATEFUL because I don't have to go to another office and wait in
      another line to obtain a much needed money order!

      *In Spirit: I give THANKS to GOD that I'm having such a GOOD DAY!

      HK-
      "Let the ECK, or the Mahanta, help carry your frustrations. It's the
      key to happiness. But how to accomplish that? The discipline of
      remembering to surrender is part of one's spiritual discipline. Yes,
      this sounds like no answer at all, but it's the individual's
      responsibility to remember. That's what consciousness is for."

      N-
      Should we always look outside of ourselves? How is surrendering to
      dependence on a Mahanta, or even Spirit (the ECK), teaching
      spiritual discipline? It certainly isn't teaching self
      responsibility! Perhaps we should look at it from another
      perspective and understand that the test is not to remember to hand
      the problem off to someone else. I think that we need to look within
      ourselves and determine why we are frustrated, and maybe to have
      some empathy for the other person. In almost all of Harold's
      writings I can see that Harold is not very empathetic (understanding
      and loving) to other people.

      ME:
      *In real life: Who needs to CARRY such petty frustrations? I completed
      my errands and I have OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AND my LOVED ONES to
      think about.

      *In Spirit: IF I can be a source of POSITIVE energy, UNCONDITIONAL
      LOVE and HELP someone feel better by KINDNESS in such stituations,
      then I feel that I've done my small part in IMPROVING the situation
      and maybe making it easier for the next person.

      HK-
      "Let's add, too, that the postal clerk's IDEA of SERVICE to people
      goes BEGGING. It's not an example for an ECKist. Service in ECK
      means being an agent for the Mahanta. It requires respect for
      others." [My caps]

      N-
      Harold's not being very nice to this TEMPORARY postal clerk is he?
      Actually, he was probably acting on a higher level of consciousness
      than Joan (an 8th initiate in Eckankar) and Harold (a 14th
      initiate). After all, he was following the Law of Economy by asking
      for Joan's ID before he went looking for the packages. What if she
      had forgotten it after he looked for five minutes? Haven't other
      customers forgotten their IDs? Isn't it just common sense to ask
      first? Where is Harold's common sense, or have his emotions blinded
      him? What happened to Harold's "respect" for this temporary clerk?

      Isn't it interesting that Harold is also throwing out the
      old "service" carrot also. Too bad that Harold's idea of service
      cannot help him to be an agent for the Mahanta either. Or, maybe he
      is a true agent of Kal as a false "Master."

      HK-
      "The Holy ECK feeds all with the bread and waters of life. So how
      could a spiritually alert person do less than SERVE It with love and
      humility? This attitude should be like a shining light to the world.
      True love and humility show in all one's dealings. Build and support
      people. An old saying has it: `Whose bread I eat, his song I
      sing.'[My caps]

      N-
      I wonder who Harold is talking about because it can't be him or
      Joan! How can Harold be spiritually alert to have made these
      comments in this publication? Why do they not see my point about the
      clerk checking to see if people have their IDs with them before
      looking for their packages? And, after 9/11 security is tighter
      everywhere anyway!

      Also, why can't Harold and Joan see that maybe only one "temporary
      clerk" might be in charge of doing money orders. Even assuming that
      this one person was lazy, or not very customer friendly about the
      money order… couldn't there be mitigating circumstances for this?
      Or, maybe he wasn't even trained on how to do money orders…. he's
      a "TEMPORARY" postal clerk! Where is the empathy and insight? Where
      is Harold's love and humility? Notice that Harold throws in the
      word "serve" as he tries to give the impression that he and the
      reader are spiritually alert when you serve IT and that "true love
      and humility shows in all one's dealings." Not really, but putting
      his spin on things is nothing new to Harold.

      HK-
      "Wouldn't a loving and humble ECKist recognize the ECK and the
      Mahanta as the source of his very subsistence? Then how could he
      ever serve the Kal, the negative force?

      N-
      I didn't meet too many loving and humble ECKists in my many years
      and travels (including Harold!). They're almost as rare as hens
      teeth! Now I did meet a lot of unloving, arrogant, delusional,
      unspiritual, clueless, rationalizing and manipulative Eckists! So,
      maybe This is why many don't have a True relationship with Spirit
      (the Eck). To me, Harold doesn't seem to have a true relationship
      with Spirit either. Just look at his words and behavior! And once
      again, Harold is pushing reliance on the Mahanta as the "source of
      his (your) very subsistence."

      It's interesting that Harold asks the question about how one could
      ever serve the Kal if you serve the ECK (Spirit) or the Mahanta (Vi-
      Guru)? Is this supposed to be our proof that Harold is serving
      Spirit instead of Kal? Doesn't service to IT take place and change
      in each moment as we make choices, or do we just start the day with
      a contemplation and affirmation that takes care of things all day
      long? If we are to be "spiritually alert" then we should be alert to
      what is taking place with other people and with our own actions and
      reactions to them and the situations we are placed in for our
      spiritual growth. Unfortunately, both Harold and Joan did not view
      this experience with the temporary postal clerk as an opportunity
      for spiritual growth. I would say that they have erroneously placed
      themselves above the field of karma and of spiritual growth. They
      may have fooled the Eckists and deluded themselves, but they haven't
      fooled me. Well, not lately anyway!

      Nacal

      ME:
      *In Real Life: We often encounter people who TAKE OFFENSE easily and
      almost seem to look for reasons to be OFFENDED. They can be rude,
      condescending and some seem to enjoy causing a scene. There are also
      people who SAY one thing BUT DO another. They're BEHAVIOR tells me all
      I need to know about their CHARACTER.

      *In Spirit: The only service I'm interested in IS TO GOD. We are ALL
      CONNECTED to GOD, we just choose to be aware or not and act in the
      most POSITIVE way or NOT. By serving only GOD, I don't need to worry
      about ANY FALSE MASTERS.

      I know that, to some, my perspective might seem new-age or
      flower-child like BUT look at what I USED to believe in! I, for one,
      think I'm better off than I was before.

      Have a good one!

      Kaye