The Gullibility Factor Test!

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2006
      Hi, All!

      Pretujari's post about telling people what they want to hear is one
      keen way to get people to believe in crap. I have been reading posts
      on Oprah's Message Boards about James Frey's book "A Million Little
      Pieces." As you recall, the book contains many lies told as truth--
      it's classified as a memoir. Millions of copies have been sold,
      because its story about drug addiction and recovery interests many
      people today. Oprah, after reading the book, put it on her Book Club
      Selection list which bolstered its sales and readership
      dramatically. When it was revealed that the book was full of
      fabrications, Oprah's first response was so what, it helps people--
      it gives them hope. But then she re-thought this and realized that
      truth is more important than even little lies, so she pulled away
      her support and did a final interview of Mr. Frey in which she, in
      essence, raked him over the coals for duping her and everyone. Many
      of her viewers and supporters of Mr. Frey have been outraged by the
      way Oprah treated Frey, and are posting all kinds of messages on her
      Message Board. There are also, of course, those who support Oprah's
      position. But what is interesting to me is how "truth" does not seem
      so important to many people as long as the lies and deceptions make
      them feel good and give them hope (Frey's supporters)--we hear this
      also from eckists who do not want to face the truths about the lies
      and deceptions in eckankar.

      Anyway, on a.r.e someone posted the following link at New Target
      Network which will test one's gullibility factor. It is a fun little
      test, and since we former members of the e-cult feel that we have
      been duped and admit our gullibility in that instance, I thought
      everyone here might like to try this test too!

      http://www.newstarget.com/gullibility.html

      After we take the test, maybe we can share how we did! LOL! Have fun!

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2006
        Hi Mish,
        Yes, Twitch also had an addiction to lying while Eckists have a New
        Age addiction to believe anything of a "neo-Ancient"
        fictitious "spiritual" source that places them at the head of the
        line. LOL!

        I enjoyed taking the GF test which proved to me that a healthy
        skepticism leads to greater awareness. The answers and explainations
        were very interesting. Here's a site that people might enjoy as well.
        http://w3.csmu.edu.tw/~wcf/note/mpd.htm

        Prometheus