From Hu-chat: Is your life getting better or worse?

  • ctecvie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
      Dear all,

      this is what I found on huchat not long ago. This eckist tells how
      her life improved after having joined Eckankar. I will comment
      directly in the quote.

      Quote: I was just thinking back, when I grew up in Berlin, eternally
      waiting for the train or the bus, shuttling around forever, freezing
      cold or unbearable hot, waiting on drafty train stations in the
      middle of the night. Couldn't get out of Berlin without waiting in
      line for 8 hours at check point Charley. Walking and walking dark
      scary streets.

      ***Me: So What? That was the situation 50 years ago (this individual
      is around 50 years old). I can imagine that it was no fun to grow up
      in Berlin at the time. But there were so many more people in the
      Eastern part of Berlin who certainly had it worse - and they
      couldn't get over that wall at all!

      Quote: And now? A warm car in a heated garage with heated seats,
      driving over a heated driveway and for long distance my own plane
      and pilot.

      ***Me: If we take this as a yardstick, many people would be very
      advanced spiritually because many people nowadays have a warm car in
      a heated garage with heated seats! OK, not everyone has an own
      plane, but many take a plane nowadays.

      Quote: The first 27 years I lived in apartments, usually on the 4th
      floor without an elevator, after joining Eckankar I lived in
      comfortable homes overlooking an ocean, a lake or mountains. Right
      now I am living in a historic home in town, going back to lakefront
      in Minnesota.

      ***Me: Living in apartments on the 4th floor without elevator is not
      the worst thing that can happen to us! I remember fondly my own
      apartment in the 4th floor without elevator, bathroom outside and
      shower in the kitchen! Of course it was not as comfortable as the
      spacious apartment I live in now, with central heating and elevator!
      But the first time I saw it, I instantly loved it and I knew that
      this had to be "my" apartment. And I went a long distance to get it
      and fought for it!

      Quote: Not to mention going from no or only distant friends to
      family to gobs of people I love and having 7,000 people on my
      mailing list.Amazing the things you see when you condense 50 years
      into one paragraph - a different picture!

      ***Me: Now it seems that we finally made it to the true point,
      which, in my opinion, should have been mentioned first - the love!
      The friends, the relationships we have! That is real improvement in
      my view. Not having 7.000 people on our mailing list, but a partner
      we love and trust, and some true and close friends we can share our
      happiness and our darkest hours with.

      Ingrid

      PS: Welcome Dolly - I enjoyed your posts a lot and am glad you
      shared you story and your insights with us. Keep on and let us know
      how it goes!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi, Ingrid and All!

        I saw this post as well. I wonder how this person's material
        yardstick for measuring spiritual growth over a 50 some year
        lifespan makes other people (eckists) feel about their own growth--
        especially, if they are struggling in life and don't have it as
        nice? Interesting how some think who they are is reflected by
        what "wealth" they have! Was this learned in the eckankar teachings,
        or is this just an eckist who hasn't learned much about such
        things? : )

        For myself, I appreciate whatever comforts I have achieved after
        many years of hard work, but at the same time, I recognize that
        other people have not accomplished the same ease, but yet, they make
        do as best they can, and they enjoy life just as much as the next
        guy, if not more! What was taught in the "teachings"--was it not to
        have an attitude of gratitude? After all, what does one really need
        in the material sense?--for me, it is a roof over my head, warmth
        and enough to eat to not be perpetually starving. Anything more is
        bonus to be enjoyed.

        But considering the comments by this eckist on huchat, I recall
        attending a worship service in which the h.i. facilitator was
        commenting about the riches and luxurious living that awaited her in
        the heavens/higher planes. She said that knowing that made her
        struggles on this plane much easier to bear. I thought how sad to
        see life that way--and not appreciate the here and now! It seemed to
        me that she was wasting her present life by dreaming about another
        one to come!

        Well, it is nice that the person with the warm garage and nice home
        is happy and appreciative, but as Ingrid points out, so what? Life
        in general has improved for many people through the years--it is not
        unique, and for those who live a little less affluently--it does not
        mean that they are spiritually lagging either! It all has to do with
        attitude and what we appreciate about ourselves!

        <ctecvie@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Quote: Not to mention going from no or only distant friends to
        > family to gobs of people I love and having 7,000 people on my
        > mailing list.Amazing the things you see when you condense 50 years
        > into one paragraph - a different picture!
        >
        > ***Me: Now it seems that we finally made it to the true point,
        > which, in my opinion, should have been mentioned first - the love!
        > The friends, the relationships we have! That is real improvement
        in
        > my view. Not having 7.000 people on our mailing list, but a
        partner
        > we love and trust, and some true and close friends we can share
        our
        > happiness and our darkest hours with.
        >
        > Ingrid
        >
        > PS: Welcome Dolly - I enjoyed your posts a lot and am glad you
        > shared you story and your insights with us. Keep on and let us

      • ctecvie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
          Hello Mish, Pretujari and all,

          <mishmisha9@y...> wrote:

          > Hi, Ingrid and All!
          >
          > I saw this post as well. I wonder how this person's material
          > yardstick for measuring spiritual growth over a 50 some year
          > lifespan makes other people (eckists) feel about their own growth--
          > especially, if they are struggling in life and don't have it as
          > nice? Interesting how some think who they are is reflected by
          > what "wealth" they have! Was this learned in the eckankar
          >teachings,
          > or is this just an eckist who hasn't learned much about such
          > things? : )

          ***** I am convinced that material wealth doesn't necessarily
          reflect spiritual growth. It's nice to have it, of course. But it
          doesn't tell a thing about personal happiness. It is very telling,
          at least for me, that immaterial things - things you can't buy range
          third or so on this individual's list! There are people who wouldn't
          like to live in a house because it's too much work or they simply
          aren't interesting in a house because a flat is enough. So why on
          earth would they have a house? And of course there are people for
          whom the reverse is true.

          There are also people who like to live in the city and wouldn't be
          happy in the country, and vice versa. So, one can't really measure
          one by the other. It's completely up to the individual how they want
          to design their personal living space and their material life. What
          is important, besides the love and the relationships, at least for
          me, is to be able to know how to realize my dreams!

          > For myself, I appreciate whatever comforts I have achieved after
          > many years of hard work, but at the same time, I recognize that
          > other people have not accomplished the same ease, but yet, they
          >make
          > do as best they can, and they enjoy life just as much as the next
          > guy, if not more! What was taught in the "teachings"--was it not
          > have an attitude of gratitude? After all, what does one really
          >need
          > in the material sense?--for me, it is a roof over my head, warmth
          > and enough to eat to not be perpetually starving. Anything more is
          > bonus to be enjoyed.

          *** Exactly. And I have also found out that if I am in a warm
          country, my needs are not the same as at home because I don't have
          to think about heating and warm clothes. This adds enormously to my
          well-being, too!

          > But considering the comments by this eckist on huchat, I recall
          > attending a worship service in which the h.i. facilitator was
          > commenting about the riches and luxurious living that awaited her
          >in
          > the heavens/higher planes. She said that knowing that made her
          > struggles on this plane much easier to bear. I thought how sad to
          > see life that way--and not appreciate the here and now! It seemed
          > me that she was wasting her present life by dreaming about another
          > one to come!

          *** That was my impression from eckists as well. It's as in the
          Christian church - you wait till the afterlife! What a waste when
          life is here to be enjoyed and to be lived moment by moment!

          > Well, it is nice that the person with the warm garage and nice
          >home
          > is happy and appreciative, but as Ingrid points out, so what? Life
          > in general has improved for many people through the years--it is
          >not
          > unique, and for those who live a little less affluently--it does
          >not
          > mean that they are spiritually lagging either! It all has to do
          >with
          > attitude and what we appreciate about ourselves!

          *** I remember, too, that in my youth autobuses didn't go as
          frequently and were by far not as comfortable than now - so that's a
          development independent of my "spiritual growth".

          Pretujari wrote:

          Hi Ingrid,
          How does this Eckist reconcile spirituality and material wealth in
          the
          case of Prince Siddhartha (Gautama Buddha) who left his princely
          estate
          and palatial comforts to become a pauper, and the enlightenment he
          attained thereafter?
          Pretujari

          ***Very good question, Pretujari! Sometimes material wealth can
          blind us and hinder us to look further, and sometimes the reverse is
          true - in any case, material wealth per se does not say anything
          about the character of the individual nor if he/she is "spiritually
          advanced" (whatever that means) or not.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
            > Sometimes material wealth can
            > blind us and hinder us to look further, and sometimes the reverse
            is
            > true - in any case, material wealth per se does not say anything
            > about the character of the individual nor if he/she
            is "spiritually
            > advanced" (whatever that means) or not.
            >
            > Ingrid

            People continue to create yardsticks for success! That is why the
            initiations are so appealing to many eckists--those who are on the
            fast track in achieving them! But those who wait years and years for
            this recognition are so hurt and discouraged. It is really tragic,
            because of the trickery involved in giving them out. The faithful
            are being abused by the initiation system.

            As to monetary wealth, have you ever considered what the bigger,
            more generous donations buy an eckist in terms of initiations? I'm
            sure it is noticed! People with professional titles are also on the
            fast initiation track, because they look good as model higher
            initiates! It makes eckankar all so appealing, because "successful"
            people are progressing along its path; therefore, it gives the
            teachings a higher validity. It's a pretty good marketing technique
            even if the head guru "humbly" wears his ugly polester suit costume
            for his big show! : )

            Mish
          • christel_heine2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
              Hi on all!

              -----------facilitator was
              commenting about the riches and luxurious living that awaited her in
              the heavens/higher planes. She said that knowing that made her
              struggles on this plane much easier to bear. I thought how sad to
              see life that way--and not appreciate the here and now! It seemed to
              me that she was wasting her present life by dreaming about another
              one to come! --------

              this remember on the christian 'paradise' in former times or, in very
              orthodox groups today! IMO, 'the here and now'is the only 'paradise'!
              not only god, but it is! we must attempt to realise it as good!
              that's all.
              greetings and a good 2006 christel