6679Re: Review of The Karma Seeker

  • harrisonferrel
    Apr 8, 2013
      I'd like to weigh in here...

      Based on this statement: "Outside of rational awareness, science fails to explain anything mysterious or that which falls outside of that awareness."

      I think that this statement is a copout used by eckists and other religious people to keep from having their ideas and so-called experiences dismissed as workings of the brain. It's used all the time to rationalize their reasons for believing in the unknown. If you read a lot of Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and their ilk you'll get a pretty good idea of how much science serves us in understanding the experiences that religious people are wont to say are mysterious. Mysterious, yes, but only to the ignorant.

      And, you're right, science does indeed know a lot about the workings of the brain and mind that are not part of the rational mind. To say that this is not true is to be ignorant of the depth of scientific knowledge, including psychology and neuroscience. Further, just because we do not know something does not mean there is no answer. It's pretty presumptuous to say what the limits of scientific knowledge are.

      Eckankar and other cults rely on ignorance. They teach about inner experiences that neuroscience can duplicate through stimulation of various parts of the brain. I think it's better to say "I don't know" than to presume that what I am experience is otherworldly and just too far out for science to comprehend or reveal.

      > Hello All,
      > Thanks Stephan for
      > the review that mentions
      > the League (Eckankar).