644Re: The Five Passions of the Mind vs The Five Virtures

    Oct 1, 2005
      Hi Leigh,
      Thanks for posting the Five Wisdoms and their source. They are very
      interesting and insightful!

      Prometheus

      lgrif wrote:
      > Hi Prometheus:
      The passions and virtues are one of the reasons why
      Eckankar fails. It's all pillar or post with no moderation. The Five
      Wisdoms on the other hand are moderation and they do work.

      The Five wisdoms are;

      the Wisdom that like a mirror reflects perceptions,

      the Wisdom acquired by Contemplation, which apprehends the
      fundamental identity in all things,

      the Wisdom that discerns, differentiates and classifies things
      according to their particular properties,

      the Wisdom applied to works, assuring their success,

      the universal Wisdom which penetrates everything, detects the
      elements of which things are formed,

      and then the elements which constitute each of those first detected
      elements, and so ad infinitum, and by the virtue of this process
      destroys the illusion of the permanent reality of form and
      personality.

      If you can't pick up on them anywhere else, you can find these in
      the novel Mipam by Lama Yongden, published in 1938. Now in reprint
      by Shambala, I think. Lama Yongden was an interesting guy, and
      the "adopted son" of Alexandra David-Neel. *Quite* an interesting
      woman.

      Leigh

      > -- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973"
      > <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello All,
      > >
      > > I thought that I would point out the differences between the
      > > Radasoami/Sant Mat version and the Eckankar version.

      > >The Path of the Masters by Julian P. Johnson
      > >Page 362 Passions and their Remedies (Virtures):
      > >

      > > KAM (LUST)...*[Shil]...Chastity, continence
      > >
      > > KRODH (ANGER)...[Kshama]...Forgiveness, tolerance
      > >
      > > LOBH (GREED)...[Santosha]...Contentment
      > >
      > > MOH (ATTACHMENT)...*[Viveka]...Discrimination AND
      > > [Vairag]...Detachment
      > >
      > > AHANKAR (EGO; PRIDE)...[Dinta]...Humility

      > > Page 73 Eckankar Lexicon
      > > The Five Passions of the Mind...The Five Virtures:
      > >

      > > KAMA (LUST)...*[VIVEKA]...DISCRIMINATION
      > >
      > > KRODHA (ANGER)...[KSHAMA]...forgiveness, tolerance
      > >
      > > LOBHA (GREED)...[SANTOSHA]...contentment
      > >
      > > MOHA (ATTACHMENT)...[VAIRAG]...DETACHMENT
      > >
      > > AHANKARA (VANITY)...[DINTA]...HUMILITY

      > > So, Twitchell changed the Virtues or Remedies for LUST and
      ATTACHMENT! He took the first Remedy (of two) listed for Attachment,
      [Viveka] Discrimination, from "Path" and switched it with the remedy
      or virture of *[Shil] Chastity and continence! [SHIL] and CHASTITY
      and CONTINENCE were completely eliminated!

      > > This is why Eckists find it so difficult to recall and match up
      the Five Passions to the Five Virtues! But, isn't it also strange
      that the negative passions are recalled easier by Eckists than the
      positive virtures!

      > > One can also see where Twitchell added the letter "A" to the
      Hindi words for the passions, but kept the Hindi words for the
      virtues.