6286Re: Why Don't ECKists See the Truth?

  • Non
    Aug 2, 2012
      Actually, and unfortunately, I did join eckankar long enough to get a few years of discourses and attended some classes, read all the current books and articles. A lot of it was paid for by my brother. He got me in a car once acting like we were just going for a drive in the country and ended up parking at some place in the middle of nowhere to see Darwin Gross give a talk and so on. It was weird and a real mind screw. Fortunately, I was in college at some point and of course could not adhere to the not reading other books and to memorizing each discourse. I even asked a professor of a class on comparative religion what he thought. I was so brain washed that I could not head his suggestion that it was just a mishmash of a made up mysticism/religion. At one point, I seriously thought about sending President Nixon a letter telling him about eckankar, thinking that this would set him on the right path to the godhead, blah, blah....!?

      Ultimately, I asked way too many questions at eck meetings that people started getting pissed at me. Of course I took it to mean that there must be something wrong with me for having doubts. I did have a tendency for lucid dreaming already. But there were so many other types of cults at that time that I became very confused by some of the experiences I would have and seeking a therapist seemed to be out of the question. Cults make you feel so nuts that you feel like there is no one to talk to. It has taken me years to come to terms with all of that and the difficulty is unfortunately having to deal with a family member who is still in the cult and sees you as a threat to their idiotic authoritarian beliefs as an eck drone. eckists see all others as eckists who just don't know it yet, and if you actually reject it, well then you are just a conscious agent of kal, right?

      I found some good stuff on this site that has some of Margaret Singer's writings on cults of all kinds and recovery.

      http://www.refocus.org/

      noneckster ; )