6255Re: karma

  • harrisonferrel
    Jul 11, 2012
      Like so many other ideas, Karma doesn't hold water and seems to be a bastardized explanation of the way life works. It seems to have its origins in mythology and you'd need to read Joseph Campbell for an informed and intelligent look at the idea.

      Of course, Eckankar, as a notorious bullshit organization, goes to town with the karma idea. It's just another in a series of things people can latch onto by believing that their own mental impressions and fantasies have root in reality.

      I was recently watching a documentary on the Buddha for the third time. Curiously, Siddharta had an epiphany that life/nature goes through a cycle of being born, living, experiencing old age then decline, then at last dying. In the world of nature, rebirth is the next round of life that appears. This in no way suggests it's the same "soul" that reappears, but rather it's the way life works, in a cycle. And Siddharta realized that he was part of this cycle and there was no reason to keep trying to escape it. Instead he realized it's important to embrace life and these realities. All else is self-deceit. The illusion is that life and all of its problems has a basis in longevity and real importance. To paraphrase the Dalai Llama, being illusory doesn't mean it's not real, but rather its importance is illusory.

      Eckankar is all about manipulation of people, facts and world teachings. If Harold, Twitch or any of the other Disney characters had an conscience, they would be ashamed of what they do to people in the way of this manipulation.

      > The jury is still out for
      > me. Now, as far as all of
      > those different types of
      > karma that's different....