6023About Rebazar Tarzs

  • etznab18
    Jan 8 6:03 PM
      The following two quotes are from Introduction to Eckankar, 1966 by Paul Twitchell

      "My sole purpose was to find the elusive Tibetan Lama, known as Rebazar Tarzs, of whom I had heard much of from the late Sudar Singh at Allahabad. [....] - p. 27

      "Sudar Singh often spoke of Rebazar Tarzs, a Tibetan saint, whom he said was reputed to be over five hundred years old, and was at the time, living in the foothills between Darjeeling and Gangtock somewhere ... ." - p. 28

      *********

      Apparently, according to the stories told by Paul Twitchell early on, he heard about Rebazar Tarzs from Sudar Singh; later on he would write (in so many words) that Sudar Singh led him to Rebazar Tarzs.

      When the glossary for Eckankar, The Key to Secret Worlds appeared in print, it said about Rebazar Tarzs:

      "The great ECK master living in the Hindu Kush mountains, supposedly over five hundred years old. He is the emissary of ECKANKAR in the physical universe." - p. 249

      *********

      Apparently then, Rebazar Tarzs fits the characterization of someone living near the Himalayas and reported to be over 500 years old.

      Since Radhasoami & Ruhani Satsang don't (far as I know) tell stories about a character fitting that description, I doubt the person (Sudar Singh) that Paul referred to (in this instance) could be Kirpal Singh. It would be more logical, IMO, to look at Swami Premananda and Kriya Yoga stories where the number 500 years and older does appear; and fits the description for a master said to be living in the same general neighborhood as (described by Paul for) Rebazar Tarzs.

      I'm simply trying to trace certain history of Rebazar Tarzs and where it might have originated. Truth is, there was another 500+ master in the foothills of the Himalayas.

      "In 1861, Lahiri was transferred to Ranikhet, in the foothills of the Himalayas. One day, while walking in the hills, he heard a voice calling to him. After climbing further, he met his Guru Mahavatar Babaji, who initiated him into the techniques of Kriya Yoga. Babaji told Lahiri that the rest of his life was to be given to spreading the Kriya message.[1]"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahiri_Mahasaya

      "Swami Pranabananda Giri, another disciple of Lahiri Mahasaya, also met Mahavatar Babaji in the presence of Lahiri Mahasaya, at Lahiri's home. Pranabananda asked Mahavatar Babaji his age. Mahavatar Babaji responded that he was about 500 years old at that time.[4]"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavatar_Babaji

      I've no doubt Paul Twitchell heard the stories about Babaji when he lived near the Self-Revelation compound in D.C. for nearly 5 years from 1950-1955. Eckankar stories have it that Paul Twitchell met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951. Notice how it says "first met ... in 1951":

      "Paul first met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951 in the foothills of the Himalayas near Darjeeling. [....]" - Harold Klemp

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/man2.html

      OK. So David Lane talked with Paul Twitchell's first wife who lived with him at the ashram. David writes:

      "Hmm, his first wife, Camille Ballowe Taylor, states univocally that they never traveled together (or apart) from 1946 to 1955 anywhere outside of the United States. Indeed, she says Paul and her were doing the 'Self-Revelation Church of Absolute Monism' at the time and helping to edit their publications. [....]"

      http://dlane5.tripod.com/reba1.html

      Harold Klemp writes:

      "Paul became interested in occult teachings around 1950. About this time he hooked up with Swami Premananda, who headed the Self-Revelation Church of Absolute Monism in Washington, D.C. Paul and his wife lived in the ashram on church property for quite some time."

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html#trail

      According to David Lane:

      He [Paul Twitchell] replaced the names of his actual teachers, Swami Premananda and Kirpal Singh, with the names "Sudar Singh" and "Rebazar Tarzs."

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html

      I'm not certain why David Lane wrote that. Perhaps he had some literal examples to back up the statement. What is interesting to me is that Paul Twitchell did "go from Premananda to Kirpal Singh". (Remember, according to Paul's story - the later version, at least - it was Sudar Singh who led him to Rebazar Tarzs.

      The whole thing gets really confusing because "Sudar Singh" also appears in place of Kirpal Singh.

      Chapter 1, March-April, 1966, Orion Magazine: "Each has had a place in my growth toward the spiritual goal; each are equally great in their work for mankind. However, I have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Kirpal Singh, who has shown me a lot of the other work during my first year or so under him. Since we have parted he keeps an impartial view toward me and my research. Therefore, if I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is sympathetic and interested in my work."

      Chapter 1, The Flute of God, 1970: "Each has had a place in my growth toward the spiritual goal; each is equally great in his work for mankind. However, I have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Sudar Singh, who showed me a lot of the other work, during my first year or so under him. Since we have parted he has retained an impartial view toward me and my research.
      "If I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is sympathetic and interested in my work and led me to Rebazar Tarzs."

      http://www.littleknownpubs.com/Dialog_Ch_Five.htm

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm2.html

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html

      Sudar Singh led Paul Twitchell to Rebazar Tarzs?

      Sudar Singh often spoke of Rebazar Tarzs?

      Paul Twitchell heard much of Rebazar Tarzs from Sudar Singh?

      [Then where is Sudar Singh mentioned in the book: Those Wonderful Eck Masters? Where is Sudar Singh depicted in the new pictorial timeline of Eckankar Masters displayed at public Eckankar events?]

      IMO, stories are what they are. Whether true or false is debatable.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic