5786Re: Why Author James Davis Left Eckankar:

  • etznab18
    Jul 9, 2011
      Thanks for the repost. I was familiar with the story, but it's shocking how ironic. One could say that James Davis literally "wrote the book" about the Mahanta. I remember when his book came out and how highly praised it was. It was similar to one of his other books. The Dream Weaver Chronicles, Copyright 1993. People raved about both of those books. They were so much a part of, or at least supportive of, Eckankar dogma (IMO). Or so it seemed. How ironic that James Davis, of all people, would write something as what you just posted!

      Ford Johnson received high praise at one time too. He was not only a higher initiate, but a dynamic speaker as well. I remember his open letters to Harold Klemp, especially one part from the open letter 1 (July 2003) that read in part:

      "[...] But, if there is anything in Confessions that you, the Board, or the management of Eckankar regard as untrue, misstated or inaccurate, which bears on the ultimate veracity of Eckankar, I urge you to bring it forward. [....]"

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/FirstOpenLetter.aspx

      Has Eckankar responded? does anybody know?

      Much of what Ford Johnson presented resulted from the pioneering research of Prof. David Lane. So there was Ford - a long time member and higher initiate of Eckankar - basically saying: "What say you?" This was a former member and Eckankar clergy!

      So when James Davis writes a book about The Mahanta, then leaves Eckankar and later writes that note, I have to say to myself ... umm, well, if ever anybody did a television documentary about history of Eckankar it would be out of this world!

      I'd often thought about how I would relate the story of Eckankar myself, if asked by a person that never heard about it before. In fact, I'd so many times reflected on it and how it would sound. Well, it sounded absolutely crazy! There were like three or more birth dates for the founder. He died without naming a successor. His widow appoints, then marries, then gets divorced from the founder's successor ... a successor who was basically excommunicated by the person he appointed. Etc., etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

      I hope that some day in my lifetime there is a television documentary done by unbiased researchers presenting the facts. I would so much like to see something like that. And I would so much like to see Eckankar's rebuttal. It would be a most historic moment, IMO.

      > A Repost of James Davis from Truth Seeker that explains why
      > he left Eckankar:
      >
      > Rosetta Stone of God author J. Davis Responds to Confessions
      >
      > From: James Davis
      >
      > Being the author of a book on the Mahanta titled THE ROSETTA
      > STONE OF GOD, I would like to add my voice to those who have
      > chosen to leave Eckankar. I quietly left Eckankar several years ago,
      > having come to many of the same conclusions Ford arrived at in
      > his own book. At the time I left, I wrote a letter to Harold saying
      > I would make no announcements about my leaving. But I have since
      > learned that it is a very "open secret" that I left - not through any
      > acts of my own, but from various Eckists in who work at the main
      > office, and a few others. So I now feel it is appropriate to say a few
      > words about my leaving, and about Ford's book.
      >
      > During my almost three decades in Eckankar I became increasingly
      > troubled by what I perceived as the weak integrity within the
      > teachings and of the leaders. At the same time I struggled against
      > these impressions because I deeply WANTED Eckankar to be the
      > ideal teaching I had hoped and dreamed of. I deeply WANTED to
      > Living Eck Masters to be more than I was witnessing.
      >
      > I came to the point in the late Nineties where I decided to give
      > the teachings the fullest and deepest study I could (both on the
      > Inner and the Outer) in order to settle my doubts once and for all.
      > I chose to focus on the Mahanta as the theme of my study and
      > contemplation since this doctrine is the heart and soul of Eckankar.
      >
      > I spent over a year researching every word ever written or spoken
      > on the Mahanta that were available to me. I poured through decades
      > of my personal journals looking for clues from my own experience
      > to supplement the outer teachings. I inwardly invited the Nine Silent
      > Ones and the Eck Masters to help with my project. Then I set about
      > writing the best book I could on all I had found.
      >
      > The finished manuscript was sent in and quickly got approved
      > for publication by Harold Klemp. For a few months I was euphoric
      > and felt I had finally laid to rest my misgivings about the teachings.
      > But the effect soon wore off for, after all, the issues that gave
      > rise to the writing were still there - as Ford's book aptly
      > demonstrates. The issues can't be made to go away by an act of
      > fervent devotion. Or should I say, they can be made to go away for
      > awhile, or by denial. But for many people, such avoidance tactics
      > wear thin after a time.
      >
      > I realized the whole writing project of THE ROSETTA STONE OF GOD
      > had been an utter failure in its prime objective of settling my issues.
      > Whatever value it held for others, it failed for me.
      >
      > Yet, with the publication of the book came the usual attention
      > that goes with being an Eckankar author. And in this I discovered
      > how eager many people are to elevate the spiritual status of those
      > who are reporting intimate spiritual experiences with masters.
> [...]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic