5364Re: Ford Johnson's HCS vs Eckankar - What Ford doesn't do

  • Non
    Sep 16, 2010
      It's been a while since I read the whole book, but I do recall feeling that the first half of the book was the best, and his discussion of religion in general. He also showed how the original India version, Rhada Soami was not much better or even the Sufi version from which most of the plagiarism came from. He does however, seem to believe that eckists would not leave eckankar unless they had something to take its place, and so he did try to have a big Seminar in Las Vegas and monthly on line spiritual meetings in which they would chant HUM instead of HU. Actually, now that I look at what I just wrote, maybe we should just go to an ek function and chant HMM? several times in rhythm and inflection, about 3 seconds apart. Just doing that makes me feel good and I can feel it remove any eckieguilt leftover. : ) LOL

      The problem as I see it, is that there is still too much in the direction of spiritual grandiosity. We create all that happens to us, no exceptions, and there just isn't enough of the kind of spirituality of Compassion. It's still very New Age, IMO.

      I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is open to change and evolution of ideas as well as admitting to,"hmm, maybe that part wasn't so good or a mistake". Otherwise, it's just more dogma like.

      I'm still waiting for a Spirituality that includes a real sense of the Scientific Method. Think of how many Chemists who literally gave their lives, because their experiment blew up in their face, yet the periodic table is a pretty amazing thing. To some it may be boring, but if you take your time and get into newer theories about quantum theory and that scientists can actually take pictures of atoms and electrons, etc., well, just think about the fact that you cannot read this email without the technology utilized by chemists. And even there, they are willing to admit that their theories are just that, and creativity and change in thinking and ideas may take that technology to new levels that solve problems world wide, including Global Warming, that I doubt will be solved by positive thinking it away.

      noneckster ; )

      > I thought that I would add another comment on Ford's book.
      >
      > I am a former 29 year member of Eckankar. Yes, Ford was the top speaker at Eckankar seminars for many many years. But eventually he saw through Eckankar's lies and fabrications and felt it was his responsibility to write a book correcting all the unintentional lies he had been telling people while a member. Of course, when that happened, members of Eckankar turned on him and said he was an agent for the Kal (devil), was based on the mental plane only (not spiritual), and was interested in getting rich by writing an expose about Eckankar. I know what they said because I was still a member. Funny how these same people were praising him the day before he left Eckankar. Yet he was the same heart-based individual after he left Eckankar as before he left.
      >
      > Also, there is no anger coming from Ford in his book. Stating that it is there is a tactic that members of Eckankar use to discredit Ford. I read the book; there is no anger coming from Ford. I strongly suspect that the anger is being generated by the Eckists themselves who read the book, and they lack the ability to differentiate things properly.
      >

      > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96" <jonathanjohns96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > All,
      > >
      > > I was over at Amazon.com reading some of the reviews for Ford Johnson's book Confessions Of A Godseeker. A person wrote a review that I pretty much agreed with, but at the end stated that Ford wanted to make his own spiritual movement like Eckankar's. Whether they literally meant that Ford's Higher Consciousness Society resembled Eckankar is something I am not sure of. while it is true that a lot of HCS does resemble Eckankar, it also resembles the religions that Eckankar was based on. Regardless, there a lot of very important differences between Eckankar and Ford's group.
      > >
      > > I tried to post a follow-up comment on Amazon, but I couldn't. So I decided to put it here. Everything between the two dashed line is my comment which I would have posted over there.

      > > Ford did start his own "Higher Cosciousness Society" as he calls it, and it didn't impress me either. But your saying "his own spiritual movement like Eckankar" is a bit wrong. Let me explain what Ford DIDN'T do in his Higher Consciousness Society. These are all things that Eckankar DOES DO.
      > >
      > > Ford
      > > (1) did not copy other's writings and then claim them as his own
      > > (2) did not say "I am God realized. Follow me."
      > > (3) did not say "Sing HU and visualize me."
      > > (4) did not say "Give me your problems. I will solve them for you when you are sleeping at night."
      > > (5) did not say "If you leave my group, you will suffer in astral Hells until you accept me again."
> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic