5323Re: What Makes Klemp a Prophet... a second book?

  • jonathanjohns96
    Aug 24, 2010
      You reminded me of something very important that I have never mentioned on any message board. You said that "Religion" was becoming a bad word. What I wanted to mention is that if Eckankar was calling itself a religion in 1979 when I joined, I would have never joined. The reason is because as you put it, "religion" was a bad word for me. I was very turned off by all religions.

      The interesting thing is that TM had the same by-line (We are not a religion).

      Of course, one of the "faiths" that Paul copied was Radhasoami. But look what Wikipedia says about it:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radha_Soami
      "Radhasoami is a faith, considered by adherents as a true way to realize God. It is neither a religion, nor a caste or creed or sect or a division in society."

      To me, this sounds exactly like the way Twitchell described Eckankar. Dvaid Lane must have mentioned this, but it must have just flown past me.

      Jonathan

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "avonblue1212" <gowiththeflow1212@...> wrote:

      > Good information Jonathan. Twitchell rode the popular (although esoteric) back of Scientology, Sant Mat, Edgar Cayce, etc. in the 60's to build his new "path". " Religion" was becoming a bad word. Look at the eckankar site now! From the soft pastel colors, gold highlights, clean-cut smiling faces - it looks like a Christian Easter mass announcement. Paul is probably rolling in his proverbial grave. I'm not sure this new look reflects the consciousness of the age, as eckists are led to believe, but more the consciousness of a mid-western man trying to save a dying "religion".
      >
      > AB
      >

      > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96" <jonathanjohns96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Prometheus,
      > >
      > > I can't answer your question about what makes Klemp a prophet, but I would like to comment on two other things related to Eckankar's calling Klemp a prophet.
      > >
      > > First of all, Eckankar could easily make Klemps' weekly radio broadcast in Chanhassen available on Eckankar.org. I haven't actually looked there, but I am assuming that it is not there. Or they could even make mp3s of the broadcast and distribute them for free on Eckankar.org. (Ha ha! Fat chance of Eckankar giving something away for free!)
      > >
      > > Secondly, "prophet" is a term used widely by Christianity. Islam obviously uses it too, but that is a translation from Middle Eastern languages. So I see Eckankar's use of the term prophet as applied to HK as another example of Eckankar imitating Christianity in order to make themselves more appealing to people of Christian ancestry.
      > >
      > > Twitchell used terms like "satguru" and even "avatar," and probably other words of Indian origin. Those terms tend to color Eckankar as a religion from India. Eckankar is from India, of course, but Eckankar wants to de-emphasize that in its initial portrayal of itself to potential new members. So using the term "prophet" allows Eckankar to further distance itself from Paul's "India-colored" version of Eckankar. Paul's version of Eckankar actually worked for Eckankar in the 60s and 70s when the Beatles and others were turning to eastern religions such as Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation (TM). But today, Eckankar continues to distance itself from that image, at least in its initial presentation to non-members.
      > >
      > > So using a Christian term and avoiding an Indian term is really part of the same process. The Christian term cancels out any weird-sounding East Indian term like "Mahanta." Of course, new members do find out the truth eventually.

> [...]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic