5321Re: What Makes Klemp a Prophet... a second book?

  • jonathanjohns96
    Aug 24, 2010
      Prometheus,

      I can't answer your question about what makes Klemp a prophet, but I would like to comment on two other things related to Eckankar's calling Klemp a prophet.

      First of all, Eckankar could easily make Klemps' weekly radio broadcast in Chanhassen available on Eckankar.org. I haven't actually looked there, but I am assuming that it is not there. Or they could even make mp3s of the broadcast and distribute them for free on Eckankar.org. (Ha ha! Fat chance of Eckankar giving something away for free!)

      Secondly, "prophet" is a term used widely by Christianity. Islam obviously uses it too, but that is a translation from Middle Eastern languages. So I see Eckankar's use of the term prophet as applied to HK as another example of Eckankar imitating Christianity in order to make themselves more appealing to people of Christian ancestry.

      Twitchell used terms like "satguru" and even "avatar," and probably other words of Indian origin. Those terms tend to color Eckankar as a religion from India. Eckankar is from India, of course, but Eckankar wants to de-emphasize that in its initial portrayal of itself to potential new members. So using the term "prophet" allows Eckankar to further distance itself from Paul's "India-colored" version of Eckankar. Paul's version of Eckankar actually worked for Eckankar in the 60s and 70s when the Beatles and others were turning to eastern religions such as Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation (TM). But today, Eckankar continues to distance itself from that image, at least in its initial presentation to non-members.

      So using a Christian term and avoiding an Indian term is really part of the same process. The Christian term cancels out any weird-sounding East Indian term like "Mahanta." Of course, new members do find out the truth eventually.

      In case any historians like Etznab read this, Paul used the word avatar in one of his cassette tapes. I learned the word from him and his tape. And also, he mispronounced the word. He pronounced the first syllable like "save." So I pronounced the word incorrectly for 30 years, all the way up to when the movie came out. And just because I am such a perfectionist, I asked a man from India who was in an Indian grocery store how it is pronounced in India. He told me the standard American pronunciation with the first syllable pronounced like "have." I forgot to mention that the word avatar comes from Sanskrit; that's why I assumed that a person from India would know how to pronounce it correctly.

      avatar - Merriam-Webster Dictionary
      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/avatar

      Jonathan
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic