4840Re: The WHY of Paul's "Mahanta" Creation in 1969

    Aug 5 11:51 AM
      Hello Leanne and All,
      Well, you're close. That's Sunasu Vitamins.
      I'm not sure if Gail sold this company
      off or still has some involvement with
      it. The products now seem to be sold
      by individual distributors (multi-level
      marketing) like Amway or Shaklee.

      BTW- I had another thought about the
      Mahanta ploy. It did give people the
      illusion that they were getting the "highest"
      and "best" Master, thus, the highest and
      best (and most "direct") path to God.

      After all, people don't want the "second"
      or "third" best Master or religious "path"
      do they? People want the very best
      and they want to feel special, noticed,
      and important. And those increases in
      rank (initiation level) is "proof" of one's
      spiritual growth. It's called a yardstick.
      LOL! But, Klemp once said that there
      were some new (lower) initiates coming
      in to Eckankar that were "higher" in
      consciousness than some current H.I.s.
      Remember that statement? Thus, HK
      invalidated the Higher Initiations with
      this statement! When H.I.s aren't following
      the Four Zoas or Spiritual Laws why
      do they still get promoted? It's because
      there is No "inner" communication...
      and Klemp has No Powers to enforce
      anything, unless, one allows HK into
      their thoughts... the promises of religion,
      in general and specifically with Eckankar,
      is a farce. This is why the use of the
      "imagination" is promoted over and
      over again. This is how the Illusions
      (Maya) of the KAL work. And, HUing
      doesn't help either if one wants to
      accept Graham's account.

      Thus, imagination and illusion go
      hand-in-hand, especially, when
      directed by another who demands
      payment, as Klemp does, with a
      required/requested annual membership
      donation fee.

      Thus, HK finally had to write a H.I.
      Handbook (it was very overdue) to tell
      his H.I.s how to act (behave) around
      other Eckists, and in public. Basically,
      Klemp tells his H.I.s can do what they
      want behind closed doors, but H.I.s are
      to put on their "EK masks" when at ECK
      events or when under public scrutiny.

      See it's all about the PR (public relations)
      image then and now! Eckankar is a business.
      And, Paul certainly had the experience
      and knowledge on how to sell and promote
      himself and an image! Just look at PT's first
      or biggest attempt, early on, at self-promotion
      at the age of 27, in 1935, by trying to get
      into "Who's Who in Kentucky." He was a liar
      then and continued to lie throughout his life.
      Klemp imitated Twit by "writing" dozens of
      simple-minded, one dimensional books with
      pseudo "awards" (by local/fellow publishers)
      and paying a fee to get into the "International
      Who's Who of Intellectuals" (ninth edition).

      Think about people you've met in the
      past who were untrustworthy. What are
      they like today? Have they changed for
      the better? Do you trust them completely?
      Then again, some people remain gullible
      and make bad judgments throughout their
      lives. They trust anyone and everyone
      by giving them even more than the benefit
      of the doubt. In theory that's fine, but it
      can come back to bite you too! Common
      sense and the changing times should be
      considered too. These overly trusting
      people/Eckists will never be able to, nor
      would they want to, see the inconvenient
      Truth that their religion is a lie or that it
      was imported and altered from the lies
      of other religions (Sant Mat, etc.).

      No RESA hierarchy, "living (EK) master,"
      or "Mahanta" is needed for Soul to commune
      with the Holy Spirit. Spiritual growth is
      natural for all Souls and shouldn't be seen
      as a race to the end.

      Besides, who says that those Eckankar
      Initiations are valid, or are of any use?
      It's imaginary and, yes, self-indulgent!
      Look closely at those H.I.s who hold those
      "higher" ones, or those newer ones who
      wear their Cleric pins so proudly. Look
      through and beyond their public masks.
      Do they have anything really meaningful
      to say, or torelate to beyond that of an
      EK brochure? It's all so redundant!

      How do H.I.s behave outside of EK meetings
      and events? Do they hideout like Klemp
      because they can't interact with others
      without showing their negative (lower)
      side. Klemp has two faces, but it is not
      that of the outer and inner master. It
      is the two faces of the KAL.

      On another, similar, note -Is being
      a good public speaker or workshop
      leader, or a writer (of sorts) the
      qualifications for being a H.I.? If so,
      then take a look at all of those non-
      Eckists and former H.I.s. See, this
      is proof that there's more beyond
      the narrow focus that Eckankar provides.

      Anyway, my thanks to Klemp, over on
      Eckankar.org, for pointing out the facts
      about PT's early days (up to and including
      meeting Rebazar) in regard to his unethical
      and deceptive practices.

      Prometheus

      le_anne wrote:

      sununu vitamins?

      prometheus wrote:

      I was thinking about this 01/01/1969
      Mahanta event and recalled that
      Twitchell was having some trouble
      with a few disgruntled H.I.s around
      this timeframe. Paul had had a Five
      Year Plan where he was going to hand
      over the EK (LEM) leadership to another
      in 1970. However, as Eckankar began
      to take root and grow Paul changed
      his mind about handing it over. Paul
      shared his new plans and the change
      outraged some of PT's H.I.s (8ths)
      who thought they were next in-line
      and would be taking over. They felt
      betrayed.

      Add this internal EK conflict to the
      John-Rogers problems, (and competition
      with other groups), to the negative
      comments coming from the U.S. reps
      of Kirpal Singh's Ruhani Satsang
      group and voila'!

      PT now had the reasons and need
      to create the title of "Mahanta" that
      gave him complete control and, thus,
      placed himself heads above all others.
      This title and its definition he created
      made PT the King of the Hill. No one
      could challenge or question his decisions
      since they didn't have his divine powers
      or 360 degree view AND highest consciousness
      known to mankind!

      How dare anyone to question PT's new
      "Mahanta" authority (that he created for
      himself) since it was something they could
      know nothing about because they are
      of a lower initiation and of a lower plane
      of consciousness! Only the Mahanta, who
      sits at the right hand of Sugmad (God),
      has the authority to guide ALL Souls on
      the Inner planes. Perfect! And, since Eckists
      tend to limit their reading to Ek books,
      or to recommended materials, it's an easy
      ploy to pull off.

      Anyway, before Eckankar started to make
      big money Paul was as happy as a clam
      promoting himself, giving talks, and sharing
      his views of the "path." However, Paul had
      a young (32 years younger) wife (GAIL) to
      support and impress, and she had her needs
      too. She wanted a nice house for one thing.
      Thus, PT allowed her to start up the vitamin
      scheme where Eckists were members of her
      sales staff.

      All of this puts the whole thing, Eckankar
      and the "Mahanta," into perspective. That's
      why I said that this was a pivotal time and
      a complete change of direction for Eckankar.

      Prometheus

      Hello Paulji teen and All,
      I just had a few more observations
      and wanted to address some previous
      comments about Twitchell's plagiarisms.

      Pji Teen:
      Secondly, is there a possibility that when
      Illuminated Way Press went to print they
      didn't publish the endnotes, which maybe
      would have anchored these passages?

      P-
      I doubt that this happened since there
      are multiple books that Twit plagiarized.
      And, Twit would give Rebazar, or other
      EK Masters as his "source" rather than
      admit to the truth of his theft.

      For instance, Twitchell gives Fubbi as
      his "source" for the Shariyat Book One,
      and Yaubl as his "source" for Book Two.

      Klemp came up with the Astral Library
      story to explain away the accusations
      of plagiarism. However, he also shot
      himself in the foot by pointing out that
      these Two EK Holy Books are NO higher
      than Astral Plane teachings!

      Pji Teen:
      Thirdly, were the copyrights expired
      on the earlier works, so he didn't think
      to footnote passages?

      P-
      It's strange that PT would give Bible
      quotes and reference the source in
      the same text. He also did this with
      other writers just as Klemp does. But,
      PT doesn't do this with regard to The
      Path of the Masters. How many footnoted
      pages are there in ALL of PT's works?
      I'm looking in the back of my combined
      Shariyats (Books 1&2) and I don't see
      any references! Thus, he'll give it as
      he writes it. Therefore, it was an
      intentional omission when PT didn't
      mention "The Path of the Masters"
      when he uses quotes from this book.

      However, I must say that Twit was sly,
      but those are the credentials of a con-
      man. As I pointed out in the beginning
      of CH. 2 of Johnson's "Path" PT used
      a quote word for word in his "The Far
      Country" page 131. Here's a partial
      quote. "Voltaire has said that religion
      is the solace of the weak. Nietzsche
      has repeated it in substance." Now,
      it seems that Julian P. Johnson was
      paraphrasing Voltaire and Nietzsche,
      and, thus, didn't quote them. However,
      Twitchell took Johnson's exact words
      and thoughts. Twit stole his writing
      style and his creativity! This is unethical!
      Isn't a true "Master" supposed to have
      ethics? See, this is why I couldn't any
      longer give it (Eckankar or Klemp) the
      benefit of the doubt since it is all based
      upon fraud. Look at the Five Passions
      and the Five Virtues of Eckankar too!
      That's a distortion of other religious
      teachings including Ruhani Satsang
      and Radhasoami. Where does PT or HK
      give this "source." The excuse/con is
      that It either came from the "Astral
      Library" or it came from the ECK.
      Catch-22!

      Pji Teen:
      As a side note: Paul was a journalist,
      first. One of my areas of interest is
      tracking current plagiarism in media
      and journalism - it is rampant! The
      disregard for fact-checking, and just
      recycling of old stories is mind-boggling.
      Maybe, even in Paul's journalism days,
      pre - Eckankar, this was a normal way
      to do things, as well - and it just carried
      over into the Eck writings? I don't
      know, and it doesn't make it 'right'.

      P-
      IMO calling Paul a "journalist" is a
      stretch of the imagination. He was
      a hack. Most of the things that he
      wrote didn't require research into
      many facts and when it did Twit
      would often make up his own.
      Track his Orion plagiarisms. This
      had to do with recycling old stories
      and making some minor changes
      to disguise them. And, yes, this did
      carry over to his ECKankar writings.

      Pji Teen:
      My loyalty to Paul's intent is probably
      coming through -- we've all grown
      up with plagiarism. (Think about how
      many times your parents told you
      something that probably has been
      recited for generations? ) I'm not so
      ready to "shoot the messenger".
      Eckankar has and does serve a mostly
      positive purpose in the world.
      Maybe a risk at another analogy -
      if you are really thirsty - do you
      really care where the water came
      from, as long as it is safe to drink?

      P-
      I think most of our parents told us
      recycled stories about Santa Claus
      and the Easter Bunny, or old wives
      tales... or urban legends. PT wrote
      for Ripley's Believe it or Not! Why
      is it that PT's Eckankar "water"
      is safe to drink? Some impurities
      are tasteless and show up over time.
      As I pointed out once before... the
      big pivot point for Twitchell was
      when he created the "Mahanta"
      title for himself in January 1969.
      This is when PT placed an enormous
      and unattainable gap between
      himself and his followers. He did
      this in order to out-do John-
      Rogers (a follower who left EK
      and started his own religion by
      using PT's discourses etc.). And,
      Twit wanted to place himself heads
      above every other "Master" and/or
      critic (including Kirpal) by placing
      himself in a position beyond reproach.
      After all, how can anyone criticize,
      even, a self-proclaimed GOD without
      having the highest "God-Knowledge? "
      More Catch-22!

      Prometheus

      ****
      Hello Paulji teen and All,
      Interesting comments! I can recall
      that someone wrote that Paul was
      told by Orion Press not to submit
      anymore articles to them because
      he had been caught plagiarizing.

      Now, this whole episode took place
      long before Twitchell created Eckankar.
      Thus, Paul had a heads-up that his
      plagiarizing was both an unethical
      practice and an illegal behaviour.
      The magazine could have been sued
      and could have lost all credibility
      with their readers by having to place
      retractions in future editions.

      However, this incident didn't seem
      to bother Twitchell one iota. He couldn't
      help but lie and deceive with another's
      words and thoughts. I've listed the quotes,
      for comparison, and there are more in
      the ESA LINKS section. However, as I've,
      also, pointed out PT copied the "Dogma"
      of other religions as well. Primarily, Paul
      copied Ruhani Satsang (his religious path
      from 1955-65) and used "The Path of the
      Masters" as his handbook to create his
      "new" religious sect... Eckankar.

      The thing that Paul did, creating a new
      sect, is S.O.P. (standard operating procedure)
      for Indian (Eastern) Religions! When a
      Master dies and doesn't directly appoint
      a successor, or there is a disagreement
      with the choice (another has more
      followers, etc.) then another sect/faction
      is formed. This is how new (major)
      religions are created too! Local, Christian,
      Churches do the same! However, Paul,
      Darwin, and, now, Klemp have hidden
      the true origins of Eckankar's Dogma.

      Yes, I had to use ethical standards and
      guidelines, too, on writing papers. MLA
      was one standard and there are others for
      writers and researchers. When I got into
      research papers for my major the standards
      became much more stringent on footnoting
      and everything else.

      However, many of these standards concerning
      morals and ethics have been around for decades.
      Does 'thou shall not steal' sound familiar? Paul
      should have known about these ethical standards
      since he was an avid reader (or skimmer) and
      a writer. And, PT loved to quote the Christian
      Bible as does Klemp! Gail, who was a former
      librarian, was Paul's secretary and second in
      command. Gail certainly knew something about
      ethics and plagiarism.

      However, when greed becomes the focus
      and one needs to churn out books, for the
      new members, in order to makeup for lost
      time, then ethics get placed on the back
      burner. And, Paul had a track record for
      embellishing the truth. Even Klemp has
      pointed this out on Eckankar.org. Paul
      was doing his lying and self-promotion
      about himself and his travels at age 27,
      in 1935, to get into Who's Who in Kentucky
      while in that same year, 1935, is claiming
      to have made a trip to India. HK states that
      PT met Rebazar, in 1954, on his "second"
      trip to India! Except, PT's "first" trip in 1935
      (at 27 years old) was a lie... proven by Klemp's
      own research into these dates! Klemp just
      didn't see that he provided the dates that
      prove that Twit was lying about meeting
      Rebazar! HK can't connect the dots either!
      LOL!

      Prometheus

      paulji_teen wrote:

      This topic seems to keep coming up...

      I can only speak to my own experience.
      In the 1960s in my first experience
      writing papers, in school I was taught
      one rule about plagiarism and footnoting.
      By the time I hit high school, the rules
      for this had slightly changed. By university,
      there were even more rules related to
      without giving credit, etc.

      I don't know if the plagiarism laws were
      shifting, or, as students we were just
      getting more clarity from professors.

      Paul may have thought it was okay to
      list short passages. What I don't know --
      are you finding like full pages, or full
      chapters, that word for word are identical?

      Secondly, is there a possibility that when
      Illuminated Way Press went to print they
      didn't publish the endnotes, which maybe
      would have anchored these passages?

      Thirdly, were the copyrights expired
      on the earlier works, so he didn't think
      to footnote passages?

      Today's research writers, I think, are
      more careful about plagiarism as there
      are more lawsuits and more legal and
      collegiate focus on educating writers about
      plagiarism.

[...]

      Paulji_teen
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic