4566Fundamentalism and Religion

    Mar 9, 2009
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      I thought that I'd reply to some comments
      with my opinions as well.

      Jonathan wrote:

      Mish,
      [J]: You also stated "I do respect other's rights
      to their religious beliefs and practices, but admit
      that I am concerned and bothered by fanatics,
      fundalmentalists and radicals. In fact, these factions
      are pretty scary."

      I understand your concern over "fanatics and radicals,"
      but only if they try to force their beliefs on me. Otherwise
      what they do is none of my business. If they are breaking
      the laws of their country then they will ahve to deal with
      that.

      ME: I think that 9/11/2001 was a way of forcing
      Islamic beliefs on to us just as other religions
      use other methods and by any means necessary.

      [J]: A Moslem man acurately pointed out to me that
      "fundalmentalist" simply means that a person follows
      a very basic form of their religion. In other words,
      Christian Amish, Orthodox Jews, and Moslems who
      follow Islam as it was followed 500 years ago are
      all legitimately "fundalmentalists."

      ME: I don't think that is accurate. Fundamentalists
      take their scripture literally! This is what makes them
      dangerous and motivates them to make sure that their
      scripture is fulfilled. Thus, anything they do for their
      God, or his Prophets, is justified and the highest law.

      [J]: So the new media has managed to brainwash Americans
      into believing that a Muslim society that restricts women
      (by American standards, of course) is synonymous with
      a Muslim man with a rocket launcher on his shoulder.
      It's a big lie. But it was used to help justify our involvement
      in Afghanistan (we're there to help Afghan women, therefore
      the war is a noble and justified cause).

      ME: Islam restricts women by (civilized) World Standards
      and not just by U.S. standards. Islam will remain a barbaric
      (uncivilized) religion because of its scripture. These fundamental
      beliefs cannot be changed, unless, the scripture is changed.
      And Yes, to some extent the war in Afghanistan is a noble
      and justified cause when women are denied an education
      and have acid thrown on them.

      [J]: If there are religions in the world that restrict women
      then let the men and women in those religions do
      something about it if they choose. It really is nobody
      else's business to interfere. This policy of America
      interfering in other peoples around the world is really
      an extension of Christianity which feels that it has the
      right to change others to what it believes is right. It
      happened during the Christian Crusades, and the
      United States of America is doing it today. Yes, I know
      Muslims have done this too. I know that Muslims did
      it in Eastern Europe and Northern India. It has been
      a tendency of both Christianity and Islam for a very
      long time.

      ME: How can the women do anything when the men
      have seen to it that they have no power or authority?
      Besides, it would go against their scripture to do
      something else, thus, there wouldn't be anything
      that anyone could do! The trick is to keep people
      ignorant, poor, and stirred up. This is how fundamentalism,
      especially, and religion, in general, works as a opiate
      for the masses.

      [J]: Ultimately, I guess I have been struggling with whether
      I should start calling Eckankar a cult. If I did that then
      I would have to call all of the large religions cults as well,
      and I am not prepared to do that. Either all of them are
      cults or all of them are religions.

      ME: Yes, all religions are cults! Even the "loving" Jesus
      threatened people, or else! Religions are Groups of like
      minded people who want to be told what they are supposed
      to do. Fundamentalist Religions encourage a Mob behaviour
      where right and wrong no longer exist because there are
      "higher" laws to be followed. There is no individualism
      within these religions. It is not tolerated. Where religions
      have control of the government and religious laws are
      higher than manmade laws one cannot practice freedom
      of belief. They must agree with the Religious Leaders and
      the Mob mentality or else they and their families will be
      persecuted. Actually, control of the government and of
      the masses with their own laws are what all religious
      leaders are striving for. Misery loves company. Power,
      money, lust and fear still control religious belief.

      Thus, I believe that all religions are impractical and
      unnecessary. Religions are like modified forms/versions
      of marketing pyramids or vice versa. They are full of
      myths, distortions, and lies. There are always "leaders"
      who "know" more than timid and ignorant followers
      (sinners). And, no follower can ever surpass the "leaders,"
      unless, they are chosen (by the leaders) to do so. No
      "unapproved" follower is permitted to disagree with
      the leaders and with the scripture, or to excel in spirituality
      beyond that of the "Leader."

      Prometheus