4555Voodoo, Wicca, Satanism, Native American Shamanism

  • jonathanjohns96
    Mar 8, 2009
      All,

      This is a partial quote from my previous post:
      "...No religion ever perfectly translates to another culture."

      "Many years ago I knew a girl, she was about 17 at the time. Her mother was from Haiti. She could hardly keep from laughing as she described to me what her Catholic mother did. She told me that "My mom has this alter with these little figurines of Mary and Jesus, but also a number of figurines from Voodoo. I don't even know what she does when she is there." Obviously, this is Haiti's version of Catholicism. (You probably know what teenagers are like.)"

      [Me:] I just wanted to mention that I have nothing against Voodoo. This quote was just a story about a teenage girl being embarrased by her mother's religion.

      In American culture (read Christianity} there seem to be a bias against several religions. The four that I can think of are Voodoo, Wicca, Satanism, and Native American Shamanism. People from a Christian-based perspective tend to look at all four of these as "devil worship" to one degree or another.

      I honestly don't know anything about most of them except Native American Shamanism. I know that putting curses on other people is found in Voodoo and Wicca. Probabaly also in Native American Shamanism, but most shamans today don't do that. Of course, I'm not in favor of putting curses on other people, but Christianity and Eckankar put curses on their followers by giving them a fear of damnation and astral Hells, but then instruct their followers to not do the same.

      Personally, I try not to look down on, or judge other people's religions. I thought that is what Eckankar taught me. And since I know very little about these religions I am even less inclined to judge them.

      I personally knew a guy whose mother was a Wiccan. He seemed perfectly normal to me. He was a lot higher quality person that a lot of other people I have met. So if a Wiccan (single mother) raised a great kid like this, who am I to judge?

      Is Native American Shamanism devil worship? A few years ago an African-American Christian woman told me that it is although what she actually said was that Native American Shamanism is Satanism because it believes in animal spirits. I was shocked to hear this lady's opinion, but that's what relgions do to people.

      Jonathan
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic