      does not appear to mean "one".

      Now I am wondering, based on those
      definitions, whether the beginning of
      the word "Eckankar" has to do with the
      idea of "one".

      Here is what some have claimed was
      Guru Nanak's remarks:

      "If there is one God, then there is
      only His way to attain Him, not another.
      One must follow that way and reject the
      other. Worship not him who is born only
      to die, but Him who is eternal and is
      contained in the whole universe."

      http://santhakar.tripod.com/saints/bio-4.html

      Also on the same link:

      "There are worlds and more worlds below
      them and there are a hundred thousand skies
      over them. No one has been able to find the
      limits and boundaries of God. If there be
      any account of God, than alone the mortal
      can write the same; but Gods account does
      not finish and the mortal himself dies while
      still writing. Nanak says that one should
      call Him great, and God Himself knows His
      ownself." (Japji)

      http://santhakar.tripod.com/saints/bio-4.html

      A beginning of Japji I have seen has:

      Ek onkar satnam karta purakhu

      which according to one report means:

      "The One Reality, the True Name, the
      Eternal and Creative Source of all,

      (Dialogue in the Age of Criticism, Chap.
      12)

      Another source gives:

      "Ek Onkar Satnam Karta Purush Nirbhau
      Virvair Akal Murat, Ajuni Saibhang
      Gurprasad(i)"

      The English rendering would approx-
      imate to:

      There is One and only One God who is
      transcendent as well as immanent. True
      and Eternal Name. Creator and Person.
      Without Fear and without Enmity. Timeless
      Form, Unborn, Self-existent. Realized by
      Divine Grace.

      http://www.sikhs.org/art1.htm

      By the time Paul Twitchell mentioned
      "Eckankar" in 1963 the definition from
      his Cliff Hanger article included:

      This zany character is called the vanguard
      of a new religion entitled "Eckankar," a
      Hindu word meaning Union with God.

      Here Paul makes it appear as a Hindu
      word meaning Union with God. Later, the
      definition would take on other meanings
      like "co-worker with God", it seems.

      I still imagine that earlier idea of
      "one" should be in the definition some-
      where. I think it might be hinted at in
      the remark:

      "Everyone has there own Eckankar."

      I wonder if this could suggest every-
      one has their own "corporation sole" too?
      In a manner of speaking. That the head of
      "Eckankar" for evey one individual is ult-
      imately their own personal experience and
      not necessarily the experiences of others.
      Perhaps I shouldn't have to wonder.