4250The HI Newsetter - December 2008 - Photo of Klemp at Eck centers

  • jonathanjohns96
    Jan 8, 2009
      After thinking about this a little more, it occurred to me that the
      photo of Harold in the group photos of Eckists indicates to me both
      (1) a worship of Harold Klemp, and (2) that Harold Klemp has a big
      ego.

      I'd like to point out one more interesting thing that I have noticed
      over my many years as a member of Eckankar. In my eary days in
      Eckankar, in the main room in the Eck center, at the front of the
      room, there was a small table or stand. It had some fake or real
      flowers on it, plus a fairly small photo of the Eck master, say an 8
      by 10 inch color photo. Now (2008) and for about the past 7 years at
      least, there is a huge color photo high up on the wall in the main
      room in the Eck center. I would say the photo is about 14 by 17.5
      inches in size.

      I see these photos of Harold Klemp, especially the huge photos, as a
      type of "worship of the Eck master by photo." And it seems that over
      the years Eckankar headquarters has been encouraging this type of
      worship of Klemp more and more. I can't say that it is being done
      more often, but the photos are being made larger. Also, putting the
      huge photo of Klemp high on the wall tends to put every person in the
      room in a subserviant position to the photo/Klemp.

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
      <jonathanjohns96@...> wrote:

      > I wrote the following commentary seven days before I risigned from
      > Eckankar on December 17, 2008:
      >
      > Two days ago I received both Eckankar publications in the mail.
      >
      > First comment - Worship of Harold Klemp
      > The HI Newsletter, December, 2008
      > There is an article on front page about the Prodigal Son. At the
      end of
      > the article Harold writes:
      >
      > "Examine yourself time and again. Are you keeping up with the
      Spiritual
      > Exercises of ECK? Are you doing them with love? Do you love the
      Mahanta
      > with all your heart?"
      >
      > It's the last sentence that bothers me. Eckankar claims that worship
      > and adulation of the Eck master are discouraged in Eckankar. Then
      what
      > is this last sentence:
      >
      > "Do you love the Mahanta with all your heart?"
      >
      > It certainly sounds to me that Harold is promoting worship of
      himself.

      > I have no problem with Eckists loving Harold Klemp if they choose
      to do
      > that. But it is wrong for Harold to (1) tell them that they must,
      or (2)
      > as in the case of this HI Newsletter, use their degree of love for
      him
      > as some kind of spiritual test.
      >
      > Second comment - Harold Klemp's huge ego
      > The Mystic World and The HI Newsletter, December, 2008
      > The article on the back page which in every Mystic World is called
      the
      > "Wisdom Notes" is all about how having a big ego can hold us back. I
      > have no problem with the basic message of the article. It's a good
      > message, but I disagree with Harold's conclusions as to whether his
      > chelas have an ego problem or Harold Klemp himself has an ego
      problem.

      > Let's take a look at the photos in the two December publications. On
      > page 4 of the Mystic World (the publication for all Eckists) there
      is a
      > photo of five Eckists; one is holding a medium-sized photo of
      Harold.

      > In The HI Newsletter (the pub reserved for higher initiates in
      Eckankar)
      > there is:
      >
      > Page 3 - A photo of about 33 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a medium-sized photo of Harold.
      > Page 4 - A photo of about 33 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a large photo of Harold.
      > Page 5 - A photo of about 65 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a very large photo of Harold.
      > Page 6 - A photo of about 115 Eckists with a person in the middle
      of the
      > front row holding a very large photo of Harold.
      >
      > Summary comment
      > So my point has to do with both of these first two points. First of
      all,
      > Harold Klemp requires that all of his chelas love him which seems to
      > indicate to me that he encourages them to worship him. Second of
      all,
      > Harold evidently requires that in a photo of groups of Eckists, a
      medium
      > to very large sized photo of himself be broadly displayed by the
      person
      > in the first row. Even if Harold Klemp didn't start this "photo
      > worship," he is still responisible because he obviously isn't doing
      > anything to stop it.
      >
      > So who is it in Eckankar that has the biggest ego of anybody?
      Clearly,
      > it is Harold Klemp himself. Does anybody in Eckankar other than
      myself
      > get it?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic