4171Re: What now?

  • drubezarne
    Dec 5, 2008
      Prometheus, I agree with you practically 100% of the time about
      Eckankar's charlatans and other frauds who want to act as
      intermediaries between God and Soul. On the other hand, concerning
      your views about all other teachings I would have to disagree.

      When I look closely at certain teachings or teachers who seem sincere
      in their approach to bringing out truth, I detect a subtle golden
      thread that runs throughout history. I'm not interested in the
      limitations of orthodoxy or its insistence that I'm supposed to
      imitate their way of life. Instead, I try to find writers who seem
      honest and aren't looking for followers to make their living from or
      boost their egos.

      I take what I think sounds true and test it out for myself. For
      example, I found Neville's "as if" principle extremely effective in
      meditation/contemplation. On the inner planes, thinking and
      visualization bring about events very quickly and that's when
      assumptions can take me very far. After a while, I drop them because
      they are no longer necessary.

      The sound paths such as Sant Mat are helpful for getting into a trance
      state while still retaining awareness. They are useful for numbing the
      body and moving the consciousness beyond physical awareness. However,
      I don't believe in focusing on or visualizing a master. I prefer to
      place my attention on the formless.

      Laurency's writings about Pythagorean Hylozoics appears to give one of
      the best explanations for our existence.

      By the way, Mish and Liz, I listened to the Jed McKenna audio books
      and found a lot of references to Ramana Maharshi's writings. McKenna's
      books influenced me to look into Maharshi's works. Ford's book
      motivated me to look into Laurency's writings.

      My primary goal is personal experience, but reading other people's
      works helps focus my attention on something greater than day to day
      mundane existence.

      I don't believe in masters, but I do believe in teachers. If I want to
      learn how to play piano, I'll find someone to teach me. The teacher is
      there to show me the quickest and best way to get there, while my role
      is to practice and develop my own style of playing.

      All of us on this forum have been victims of the Eckankar racket and I
      don't blame people for becoming cynics and debunkers of all
      spiritual/religious teachings after leaving Eckankar. As for myself, I
      don't plan to spend much more time putting my energies into debunking
      Eckankar. The critical faculty has its uses, but when taken to the
      extreme it kills off idealism. There's a lot more I want to explore
      and test before declaring "Everyone seems to be selling something for
      one reason or another."

      Call me an optimist, but I believe there are and were a few select
      individuals who just wanted to bring out the truth because they woke
      up to or achieved a certain high state of awareness. So, I don't think
      selling, promoting, and persuading were their goals in life.

      Regards
      Liska