3337Re: The Telephone Game

    Apr 29, 2008
      I would, also, say that each early government/
      country of the world encouraged a certain religious
      thought (religion) as a means to control the populace.
      Religions are still used today, by religious leaders,
      governments, and politicians to placate people and
      to distract them and to give them hope while they
      are led down a primrose lane of delusion and, even,
      sometimes to their destruction by these same self-
      centered power brokers.

      Many religions first began with non-scientific
      explanations for the cosmos. There was Ra the
      Sun God, and Zeus (or was it Apollo?) driving a
      Golden Chariot across the sky. Everything about
      life and nature was explained away with a little
      help from real, distorted, and imagined observation.
      People's lives in the past and today become fragmented
      and fractioned as they try to pursue opportunities
      in creative innovation in every sphere of human action.

      The Mosaic conception of God was particularly relevant
      to twentieth century need. First, the Abrahamic "old man
      in the sky" is quite unbelievable in this scientific age.
      He is a "theistic" God, being "out there" in space, a God
      who "has a world." The Mosaic God without finite form
      is everywhere present. This is "panentheism." It means
      God is in (en) everything, and everything which exists
      is "in" God. Therefore, the divine center of meaning
      is to be found within. The God within must be a kind
      of World Spirit which wears the universe as its body.

      Tillich argued that God was not the Creator of the
      universe, because that implied that creation was an
      activity confined to some remote time in the past,
      but that God was creativity, implying that the creating
      goes on in every present moment and that God is in
      every innovative moment in human endeavor.

      Anyway, students of religion, of history, and of man
      can see where and how religion has progressed and
      increased its hold on people and has changed throughout
      world history. Religion can be a complicated topic with
      one's personal beliefs and experiences mixed in with
      those of others. Religion includes myth, superstition,
      tradition and a hodge-podge of other things according
      to culture.

      The bottom line is that each of us should have our own
      personal and private religion and be that religion's leader!
      The group and mob mentality to conform (group think)
      and directed by "leaders" is not a path to freedom. Religious
      hierarchies have the same purpose as the non-secular
      political hierarchies they were modeled after. It's to control!

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic