3335Re: The Telephone Game

  • jivatmananda
    Apr 29, 2008
      Hello Mish,

      I agree that kernals of truth are not enough to make a religious
      teaching valid. Last night, I was contemplating upon the main
      ingredients of most religions:

      1. Borrowed elements from other religions.
      2. Inner experiences of the founders/leaders.
      3. Punishment and/or exclusion of people with inner experiences or
      opinions that contradict those of the founders/leaders.

      The punishment or exclusion may include blame, social disapproval,
      several forms of harassment, excommunication or even burning
      heretics at the stake (as it happened in the Middle Ages).

      There is of course the business side, but I'm currently focusing
      upon those elements that are specific to religion. I'm not denying
      that religion is also about control and money.

      By the way, I think that kernels of truth can be found both in the
      inner experiences of the founders/leaders, borrowed elements from
      other religions, and the inner experiences of those who disagree
      with the founders/leaders.

      Jivatmananda