3237Re: EK Outer Teachings Then & Now

    Mar 18, 2008
      Hi Etznab and All,
      I'd like to respond to some of the points you have
      made and make some other comments as well.

      etznab wrote:

      > "The thing about Darwin Gross is that he did name Harold
      > Klemp as Living Eck Master in 1982 which, IMO, the same
      > as handing over control of "Eckankar" to someone else. He
      > talked with Harold about doing this even a year before."

      ME: Actually, Darwin passed the Rod to Klemp in Oct. of 1981,
      and gave HK his 8th in mid-1980 and a 9th around mid-1981
      just months before giving him the 12th LEM position. They both
      worked out the transition plans in a Sound Proof Dark Room
      at the ESC where Klemp worked. [Soul Travelers of the Far Country,
      CH. 7]

      > "So, historically speaking, it looks like Darwin Gross was
      > the only LIVING Eck Master in our lifetimes to pass on the
      > leadership of Eckankar to a successor."

      ME: Since there have only been three LEMs and one Mahanta
      (Twitchell) it's true that Darwin is the only one who has directly
      passed the title and duties on.

      > " I don't know how Darwin could have retained any position
      > higher than "spiritual leader" after he knowingly relinquished
      > it. As for the position of President and/or any other position
      > in the upper management subject to approval by a board or
      > a majority vote, it would seem that the majority sided with
      > the Living Eck Master. How could they - according to the
      > teachings - do otherwise?"

      ME: Well, even Klemp will admit that DG was at least a 12th LEM
      and, therefore, a "God-Realized" ECK Master. Kata Daki was no
      higher than a 12th or 13th. Check out the EK Lexicon for those
      ECK Masters who were only LEMs and Not Mahantas. Besides,
      Klemp has said that a 12th and 13th LEM is a Mahanta, but Not
      a "Full" Mahanta.

      > " I don't know what the corporate structure was at the time,
      > but it might be an interesting question whether or not there
      > were definitions for the position of a Mahanta vs. Living Eck
      > Master. I think that was the argument of some people. That
      > although Harold became the L.E.M. that Darwin might have
      > still been the Mahanta."

      ME: Unfortunately, the EK charter or structure that Gross used
      was the same one designed by Twitchell and his advisors when
      Eckankar was first incorporated as a Non-Profit org. This was done
      Before PT created the Mahanta title around Dec. 1968-Jan. 1969.
      This is why the LEM was also the President and why No
      consideration was given to the 14th Circle "Full" Mahanta position.

      The highest initiate (the Mahanta) was the true spiritual leader
      and Darwin was in that position when Klemp was still a 12th & 13th
      during the schism. Klemp, later, corrected this flaw in the charter
      in case he would ever have his authority challenged by someone
      like himself. Therefore, now, every EK Board member sits at the
      pleasure of the LEM/Mahanta for a (renewable) one year term.
      This is the same for the Local (Regional) EK Boards, except, the
      RESA choses these people.

      > "Suppose Darwin did go by the title of Mahanta, the Living
      > Eck Master and he handed over the Living Eck Master part
      > to someone else. Does he keep the Mahanta part?"

      ME: Yes! This was Darwin's plan. He just needed to have mentioned
      it to the membership in order to get it on record. If Gross had done
      that Klemp and his gang would have been in a much more difficult
      position to oust him and take over.

      > "From the tape that I was familiar with, Harold was not
      > announced by the word Mahanta. That was apparently
      > added some years later. Like, I think it was subsequent
      > to Darwin's removal."

      ME: Yes! HK was in training (under DG) to become a "Full"
      Mahanta just as he has said. Except, he can't be a "Full"
      Mahanta, according to the Shariyat, because HK did Not have
      a Virgin Birth! Therefore, Klemp can't be of the 14th Circle
      as he has claimed! And, this also means he's either delusional
      or a liar or both!

      > "An interesting trivia question might be, Where did the
      > "Mahanta" part of the title go during the time between it
      > leaving Darwin and finding a place with Harold?"

      ME: According to Klemp Rebazar Tarzs filled-in from time-
      to-time. Why not use this fictional character like PT did?

      > "On second thought, I don't think I want to "go there".
      > Or, do I :)"
      >
      > Etznab
      >
      > P.S. "With regard to Darwin's affiliation with the title of
      > "Mahanta", I'm trying to recall what Doug Marman put
      > in his books - about a use of the term from about 1973
      > onward (in regard to Darwin)."

      ME: It could be that Darwin felt he needed a training or
      break-in period, as well, before bringing the "blue carnations"
      on stage. It's expected by the EK membership and tends to
      make the whole "spiritual" scam more believable.