2904Re: Don Ginn - The Next LEM?

    Oct 2, 2007
      Hi, Liz!

      It seems this attorney was thinking outside of the box! : ) When we
      close ourselves off from the outside world by joining a cult like
      eckankar, we box ourselves into a small isolated tunnel like place and
      can forget the basic things in life like "your family comes first."

      <ewickings@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mish and all,
      >
      > I am surprised too that eckankar doesn't go into further detail, explaining
      > how a will should be written so family members can not contest such a
      > donation. (or do they?)
      >
      > When I was still a member, my DH and I had wills drawn up through an
      > attorney I use for family issues. I questioned how a portion could be left
      > to my church. My attorney gave me a funny look and said "your family should
      > always come first"! We had an interesting conversation, and in the end I
      > didn't leave anything to eckankar. ;-) All it takes is discussing
      > something of this nature with an outsider, and they tend to have a much
      > better way of putting the important things into perspective.
      >
      > Liz

      > Mish wrote:
      >
      > Here's the exact statement posted by Bob Hepple on the
      > California Satsang Society Chela News & Events publication
      > regarding raising money for their building fund:
      >
      > "How can I donate? There are many ways that you can donate.
      > Enclosed is an envelope and donation form that will allow
      > you to receive a tax receipt for your check or credit card
      > donation. Also enclosed are two brochures, published by
      > ECKANKAR Spiritual Center, that explain how to bequeath
      > the California Satsang Society in your will or living trust,
      > or make the Society a beneficiary of your retirement,
      > pension plan, or life insurance policy."
      >
      > This very plainly states how such cult groups like eckankar go
      > after members' money.
      > <snip>
      > Another disturbing thing is how blatantly eckankar goes after members money
      >
      > including pensions, life insurance and other money that
      > most people bequeath to surviving family members. This
      > shows how callous eckankar is regarding family structure
      > and well-being. Eckankar breaks down family ties in order
      > to get the family money! But of course that is what all cults
      > are after--bleeding chelas dry but making them imagine
      > they are getting something in the bargain, a stairway to
      > heaven, perhaps!

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic