2742Beware of Conformist Thinking and All Group Think!

    Jul 18, 2007
      Hi, All!

      Just some thoughts about conformity and how it relates in
      eckankar in particular.

      Prometheus wrote:
      "It's amazing that Eckists think that they are non-conformists
      when they have just become conformists of a different sort."

      Whenever anyone joins a religious group or other org, one is
      agreeing to accept the group think, and in essence one is
      surrendering one's individual critical thinking. Joining up and
      agreeing to do spiritual exercises, Satsang classes, vahana work, etc.
      are all conformist acts. A chela might think this leads to achieving
      spiritual freedom and enlightenment, but it seems to me that this
      lack of original "think" is just playing around--agreeing to be a
      follower and allowing the "herd mentality" con game to work.

      Of course, the initiations are the "report card" that shows how well
      one is doing in eckankar, and from the need to achieve those initiations,
      one feels competitive with other chelas. How many eckists are there
      that can honestly state that it doesn't bother them when another chela
      moves ahead of them in initiation level? Doesn't it make one question
      one's spiritual efforts when an initiation is not forth-coming, but yet
      one sees another possibly not so hard-working or seemingly not so
      spiritually tuned in chela, getting ahead on that initiation ladder? It has
      to make one wonder what the heck is going on, doesn't it???

      Of course, there is all that hogwash about the inner vs the outer that
      "explains" away all of these outer discrepancies! Always, the excuses,
      cover-ups, now you see and now you don't explanations for those who
      really want to believe in this bogus, scammy belief system called
      eckankar! Where can the honest, whole truth be found? Well, if one
      can believe one's imagination as being such, I guess that is what
      eckists have to rely on in the final analysis! It's all imaginary! LOL!

      It all falls back on the need to belong to something, or to take up
      causes, ect. Most people want to belong and hang on to something--
      becoming followers I guess! And that is why it is so easy to fall for
      religious scams and other sorts of orgs and group thinking!

      Beware of preachers (like Klemp and company) and other "experts"
      who like to stand on soap boxes! LOL!

      > HK: "Later, WHEN the SERVICE was OVER and MOST PEOPLE
      > WERE GONE from the ECK CENTER, a car pulled into a PARKING
      > SPOT right out front... He HAD ONLY STOPPED in front of the
      > ECK center because he was looking for a PARKING SPOT. The
      > only open one was right at the center's front door... 'This is a
      > miracle!' he kept saying. 'A miracle!'... That is an excellent
      > example of how the Mahanta's LONG ARM reaches out to a
      > TRUE [Parking Spot] SEEKER. But then, likely as not, he calls
      > on you to do your part [Move Your Car]. The path of ECK is
      > one of GIVING [Until It Hurts] and RECEIVING [Imagined Results
      > and Fake Initiations], for that is the way of SURE spiritual
      > unfoldment" [As Long As You're Membership Is Current $$$].
      >
      > On another note-
      > Hi Mish, I too still have some guilt for having brought people
      > into Eckankar. I know of a few current H.I.s that I personally
      > influenced to join. This is just one of the many reasons why this
      > ESA site still exists... it's sort of an act of atonement for all of
      > those years that my focus was so narrowed and closed minded.
      > I had even become a religious fanatic as I was selling Eckankar.
      > Away from the Eckankar Center or ECK Events I was a much
      > happier person, but at Eckankar functions I changed and took
      > things much too seriously. Those Eck Guidelines and knowing
      > I was being watched and evaluated by my peers (and squealed
      > upon to the RESA) led to a lot of stress because I wanted (needed)
      > that higher position and next initiation. Also, with any religion
      > it seems that 'misery loves company' and the more people
      > [especially intelligent people] the religionists can bring into their
      > fold the more proof they have, for others, that their religion has
      > the highest "Truth." This is, also, why Eckankar will promote, (faster),
      > Eckists that are professionals (doctors, lawyers, architects) or those
      > who have a somewhat higher profile within the local community (it
      > also helps to have experience in public speeking). And, foreign
      > Eckists get promoted much faster than do U.S. Eckists! Therefore,
      > success (initiation & position) in Eckankar is definitely tied into the
      > Vahana (missionary) effort to bring in paying members. When one
      > looks at Eckankar with some scrutiny via critical thinking one can
      > see that Eckankar makes a lot of promises (like all religions do)
      > and then lets it's chelas fill-in the blanks with their imaginations,
      > except, one has to follow the rules & dogma (like with other religions)
      > and become conformists! It's amazing that Eckists think that they
      > are non-conformists when they have just become conformists of
      > a different sort. How can Eckists really claim that Eckankar is an
      > Individual "Path" to God when it is neither Individual or a path to
      > "God!" Eckankar is just more Religious Delusion and Myth like the
      > Older Religions that Eckists gave up!
      >
      > Prometheus
      >

      > mish wrote:

> [...]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic