2164Re: question

    Jan 17, 2007
      Hi, Zoey!

      Do the parents or the daughter know you are a former eckist?
      You might want to mention that you have been there and done
      that, and then see where the conversation leads from there. I'm
      sure that they will be interested in your experience. It might be
      the parents will be more curious about your insights than the
      daughter. I would suggest that you recommend looking on the
      internet for the pros and cons about eckankar as there is so much
      information easily accessed, including the various chat sites. I'd
      also recommend Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God Seeker."

      You are in a situation of finding the balance between sharing too much
      and too little, but if you allow them to ask the questions, you will know
      what it is you need to share.

      I don't know the Nashville community of eckists, but the daughter is
      most likely looking for a new "family" of friends, and this group seems
      to be welcoming her warmly. Hopefully, she will go slowly before
      committing--writing that membership check! As with anything new, it
      needs to be researched no matter how nice appearances seem. I'm sure
      the eckists are genuine in their friendliness--but the teachings and
      committment is another issue.

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "zoey_true" <zoey_true@...>
      > years ago, during my eckle days, i travelled a great deal with my
      > job. (i think i've mentioned this before). at any rate, i came to be
      > familiar with a number of eck communities. it always interested me to
      > see how homogeneous they all were. wierd and unhealthy, but
      > homogeneous. this is one of the things that encouraged me to go ahead
      > and leave the fold. i saw first-hand that the unhealthiness was not
      > exclusive to one group, but infected them all.
      > now that was years ago, and i'm now in a town and life where no one
      > has ever heard of eckankar. but here is my problem, and question: a
      > dear friend has a daughter who recently (6 months ago) moved to
      > nashville. she is an intelligent, gifted young career woman. she has
      > phoned her mother to say that she has joined the most wonderful
      > spiritual group -eckankar. i talked to her a bit on the phone, and
      > she tells me that the eckists are warm, intelligent, creative,
      > caring, etc etc. she feels she has found a family.
      > i feel hesitant to say anything, especially since i know nothing
      > about the nashville eck community. that's one city i never visited.
      > can anyone share? i feel quite worried, i am close to the family.
      > are the eckists in nashville superior in some way to most
      > communities, or just the same old thing?
      > really want to know......zoey
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic