Echolink Sysop Id?

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
      I have noticed that unless I am connected to someone the software
      doesnt Id anymore? I think I remember it Iding without being
      connected I could be wrong?
    • Robert W2YMM
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003

        The program only ID's when there is a station connected.

        I have noticed that if there is no activity for a while with someone connected the ID will not sound until there is a transmission.

        I have noticed that unless I am connected to someone the software
        doesn't Id anymore? I think I remember it Iding without being
        connected I could be wrong?

        Robert Prybyzerski Jr
        W2YMM Long Island NY
        Echolink Node #21808

        449.300 Repeater  110.9

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Ken Gamble
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
          The problem of no ID while the link is active has been a big concern of mine as well. I can see where mobile stations coming within range of my link will not be aware that my station is on the air - and connected. I have suggested combining EchoLink and Echo Station for the sysop users so we may make announcements and ID when our stations have no traffic. Yes, I am aware that we can connect two sound cards and run both programs, but having one program supply all our needs using one com port seems like a good idea to me.  Just as a side note, in my area I can listen to approximately eight repeaters and most of the time they are quiet, I would like my link to be doing something when it is on the air even if it is only IDing.

          Any comments?

          Ken
          VE3SNE-L
          eQSO Gateway
          Echo Link Node # 58082

          All outgoing messages scanned for viruses.
          The program only ID's when there is a station connected.

          I have noticed that if there is no activity for a while with someone connected the ID will not sound until there is a transmission.

        • Bob Moore
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003

            Ken the thing you have to think about when your link is id'ing while there is no traffic is that the FCC calls that broadcasting and that is against part 97.
            A few years back there was a big problem with repeaters that id when no one had been using them.  I am not trying to blow your idea out of the water, just giving you something to think about.
            73's.
            Bob KA5ETA

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
                ---Hold up if the thing only Id's when its connected and your saying
                that it only Id's if theres traffic. Well if thats the fact then
                wouldnt all of the echolinks -L and -r be considered illegal for not
                Iding every ten minutes? Thats not something I want to hear! Basiclly
                it boils down to the control op being in control of the station,
                which I am and when it doesnt id itself I verbally Id the link but
                thats just me,all those other links and repeaters that the guys at
                work with no remote access now they also are not iding every 10
                minutes not a good thing. Then one post stated to use echostation but
                echostation cost's $20.00 bucks so to make your station legal you
                have to pay the cash and if you dont have one around purchase another
                sound card Hmmm. Something doesnt sound right! I could have swore
                when I first switched to the sysop version the thing Id no matter
                what? O well guess I will have to just stay linked to a conference
                the entire time the link is operational. No problem I prefer to hang
                in the conference servers anyway still dont like it though may be
                there's a fix in the latest update due out soon...

                In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Moore" <moorerl@s...> wrote:

                > Ken the thing you have to think about when your link is id'ing
                while there is no traffic is that the FCC calls that broadcasting and
                that is against part 97.
                > A few years back there was a big problem with repeaters that id
                when no one had been using them. I am not trying to blow your idea
                out of the water, just giving you something to think about.
                > 73's.
                > Bob KA5ETA

                Service.
              • kd5lwu
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
                  Hi John - a repeater is only required to ID when the repeater is in use
                  and every 10 minutes there after. It is not required to ID every 10
                  minutes all the time. My Repeater immediately ID's when first keyed up
                  after a period of no activity and then every 10 minutes until qso is
                  over and then one final ID. It then sits and waits for the next period
                  of activity then starts the cycle over again. 73 Johnny

                  ---Hold up if the thing only Id's when its connected and your saying
                  that it only Id's if theres traffic. Well if thats the fact then
                  wouldnt all of the echolinks -L and -r be considered illegal for not
                  Iding every ten minutes? Thats not something I want to hear! Basiclly
                  it boils down to the control op being in control of the station,
                  which I am and when it doesnt id itself I verbally Id the link but
                  thats just me,all those other links and repeaters that the guys at
                  work with no remote access now they also are not iding every 10
                  minutes not a good thing. Then one post stated to use echostation but
                  echostation cost's $20.00 bucks so to make your station legal you
                  have to pay the cash and if you dont have one around purchase another
                  sound card Hmmm. Something doesnt sound right! I could have swore
                  when I first switched to the sysop version the thing Id no matter
                  what? O well guess I will have to just stay linked to a conference
                  the entire time the link is operational. No problem I prefer to hang
                  in the conference servers anyway still dont like it though may be
                  there's a fix in the latest update due out soon...

                  In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Moore" <moorerl@s...> wrote:

                  > Ken the thing you have to think about when your link is id'ing
                  while there is no traffic is that the FCC calls that broadcasting and
                  that is against part 97.
                  > A few years back there was a big problem with repeaters that id
                  when no one had been using them. I am not trying to blow your idea
                  out of the water, just giving you something to think about.
                  > 73's.
                  > Bob KA5ETA

                  Service.

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to