Re: Shuttle Recovery Servers

  • kf4vgx
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
      What I dont get is
      > they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
      > to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
      > last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
      > means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
      > somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level!
      Just
      > restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
      > about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
      > attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
      > understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
      > explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
      > thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long
      day
      > but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
      Noticed that also .I just related it to being overly projective .
      But with a T3 I would think no reason for being brushed off.
      but I think in time things will mellow out if we all discuss it in
      the message boards . Echolink /Echolinkhams /Alertlink. Might be a
      good Topic for the Ares_Net Saturday night. there ya go Bob ! 73
      John
    • kc4qlp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
        In a message dated 2/4/03 12:44:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        worldwidemd@... writes:

        << No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
        they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
        to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
        last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
        means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
        somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
        restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
        about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
        attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
        understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
        explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
        thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
        but it is also no excuse get it together fellas. >>

        Using Echolink for a situation like this is new...very new so there are a few
        quarks that have to be worked out.
        But something that isnt understood is that the WX_TALK server is being used
        as part of the communications along with RF.Restricting access to that server
        would be like telling someone that they cant listen to a certain
        frequency...thats why the other servers are linked to WX_TALK...one so that
        people can monitor and two for the people that are not proficient with how to
        operate Echolink,it keeps the key ups and dead air from hanging up WX_TALK
        and preventing communications back to their EOC. Having someone tie up the
        WX_TALK server is like having someone jam a frequency that the emergency net
        is being conducted on.
        To say that they are rude I feel is going a bit to far,way to far. Unless
        you've ever had to operate in a situation like those folks in Texas are
        having to do now....everything is tighly controled..your taking orders from
        federal officals..your there to assist in the recovery operation...that is
        fairly stressful and to have key ups on a server....accidental or not..it
        only adds to the frustration when you have to ask someone what they said.
        You would get the same response if they were operating on HF and you just
        happen to be operating to close to the net frequency....its only common
        curiosity to give operations like this plenty of room.Yes its nice to listen
        in..and those of us with RF links and repeaters to let this activity go over
        our stations to help let people know what ham radio is about...its serving
        your communities and your nation.Thats number one priority for my ham station
        and the radio stations that I work for.The hobby aspect of ham radio comes
        second.
        I speak from experience when hurricane Floyd pounded eastern NC and easten
        Va...areas were flooded that had never seen floods.Peoples homes washed
        away,under water,people lost there lives and property.Lines of communication
        broken.Ham radio saved the day again.It took months for things to resemble
        something sort of normal.Areas in eastern NC still havent fully recovered
        from this to this day.
        Yes it was stressful and some nights of little sleep,but with the help of
        other hams standing out of the way and letting those helping do what had to
        be done..it made everything work out smoother...espeically when there is no
        time to explain things to people..why you need to move off frequency,dont
        interrupt without addressing net control,only speak on the net when your
        asked...when your help is needed etc. When federal officals are involved..in
        our case it was FEMA and the National Guard...all you have time for is to do
        the task at hand....the time for explaining and small talk is not then.Seems
        rude yes...but thats just the way it works.
        Next time you hear a group helping in a disaster situation...cut them some
        slack.Yes they are not God or commandos of certain frequencies or
        servers..but they are doing an important job....let them do it without adding
        stuff to complicate matters.
        Put yourself in their shoes...take part if you can during the next
        disaster..it will give you first hand experience of what goes on on the other
        side of the "fence".Its not as easy as it sounds.

        In all reality..it might be possible that WX_TALK could have been setup for
        total restricted access for this operation. Be thankful that access isnt
        totally restricted and that the other conferences were added and muted as to
        not interfere with WX_TALK for monitoring purposes.
        The next disaster we might not be so lucky to have that privilege to listen
        in.

        73

        Bob Carter
        Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group

        WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
        Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5

        Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
        services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.
        e-mail:matlnenginerinsc@...
        Chief Engineer--WRCS-AM 970 Ahoskie NC
        WBXB-FM 100.1 Edenton NC
        WURB-FM 97.7 Windsor NC
        Ray Communications Radio Network

        AM Stereo Radio list moderator-----
        amstereo-subcribe@...

        KC4QLP Amateur Radio
        Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
        www.kc4qlp.cjb.net
        Echolink node # 56704 -- 146.590 VHF,440.850 UHF (PL 131.8)