Re: Shuttle Recovery Servers

  • John <worldwidemd@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
      No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
      they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
      to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
      last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
      means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
      somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
      restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
      about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
      attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
      understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
      explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
      thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
      but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.

      -- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Please use the N2LEN or Edu_net Conf servers for monitoring the
      > shuttle recovery in Texas,PLEASE NOT NOT TX PUT YOUR STATION IN
      > MONITOR MODE,
      >
      > Bobby/N2BR
    • John N4SHX
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
        Downloading took John ca. 4O-45 minutes only. Aber es ist ja das Gleiche! - Ingrid
        No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
        they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
        to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
        last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
        means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
        somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
        restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
        about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
        attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
        understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
        explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
        thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
        but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.

        -- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Please use the N2LEN or Edu_net Conf servers for monitoring the
        > shuttle recovery in Texas,PLEASE NOT NOT TX PUT YOUR STATION IN
        > MONITOR MODE,
        >
        > Bobby/N2BR

      • kf4vgx
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          What I dont get is
          > they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
          > to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
          > last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
          > means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
          > somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level!
          Just
          > restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
          > about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
          > attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
          > understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
          > explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
          > thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long
          day
          > but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.
          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
          Noticed that also .I just related it to being overly projective .
          But with a T3 I would think no reason for being brushed off.
          but I think in time things will mellow out if we all discuss it in
          the message boards . Echolink /Echolinkhams /Alertlink. Might be a
          good Topic for the Ares_Net Saturday night. there ya go Bob ! 73
          John
        • kc4qlp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
            In a message dated 2/4/03 12:44:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            worldwidemd@... writes:

            << No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
            they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
            to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
            last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
            means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
            somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
            restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
            about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
            attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
            understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
            explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
            thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
            but it is also no excuse get it together fellas. >>

            Using Echolink for a situation like this is new...very new so there are a few
            quarks that have to be worked out.
            But something that isnt understood is that the WX_TALK server is being used
            as part of the communications along with RF.Restricting access to that server
            would be like telling someone that they cant listen to a certain
            frequency...thats why the other servers are linked to WX_TALK...one so that
            people can monitor and two for the people that are not proficient with how to
            operate Echolink,it keeps the key ups and dead air from hanging up WX_TALK
            and preventing communications back to their EOC. Having someone tie up the
            WX_TALK server is like having someone jam a frequency that the emergency net
            is being conducted on.
            To say that they are rude I feel is going a bit to far,way to far. Unless
            you've ever had to operate in a situation like those folks in Texas are
            having to do now....everything is tighly controled..your taking orders from
            federal officals..your there to assist in the recovery operation...that is
            fairly stressful and to have key ups on a server....accidental or not..it
            only adds to the frustration when you have to ask someone what they said.
            You would get the same response if they were operating on HF and you just
            happen to be operating to close to the net frequency....its only common
            curiosity to give operations like this plenty of room.Yes its nice to listen
            in..and those of us with RF links and repeaters to let this activity go over
            our stations to help let people know what ham radio is about...its serving
            your communities and your nation.Thats number one priority for my ham station
            and the radio stations that I work for.The hobby aspect of ham radio comes
            second.
            I speak from experience when hurricane Floyd pounded eastern NC and easten
            Va...areas were flooded that had never seen floods.Peoples homes washed
            away,under water,people lost there lives and property.Lines of communication
            broken.Ham radio saved the day again.It took months for things to resemble
            something sort of normal.Areas in eastern NC still havent fully recovered
            from this to this day.
            Yes it was stressful and some nights of little sleep,but with the help of
            other hams standing out of the way and letting those helping do what had to
            be done..it made everything work out smoother...espeically when there is no
            time to explain things to people..why you need to move off frequency,dont
            interrupt without addressing net control,only speak on the net when your
            asked...when your help is needed etc. When federal officals are involved..in
            our case it was FEMA and the National Guard...all you have time for is to do
            the task at hand....the time for explaining and small talk is not then.Seems
            rude yes...but thats just the way it works.
            Next time you hear a group helping in a disaster situation...cut them some
            slack.Yes they are not God or commandos of certain frequencies or
            servers..but they are doing an important job....let them do it without adding
            stuff to complicate matters.
            Put yourself in their shoes...take part if you can during the next
            disaster..it will give you first hand experience of what goes on on the other
            side of the "fence".Its not as easy as it sounds.

            In all reality..it might be possible that WX_TALK could have been setup for
            total restricted access for this operation. Be thankful that access isnt
            totally restricted and that the other conferences were added and muted as to
            not interfere with WX_TALK for monitoring purposes.
            The next disaster we might not be so lucky to have that privilege to listen
            in.

            73

            Bob Carter
            Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group

            WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
            Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5

            Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
            services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.
            e-mail:matlnenginerinsc@...
            Chief Engineer--WRCS-AM 970 Ahoskie NC
            WBXB-FM 100.1 Edenton NC
            WURB-FM 97.7 Windsor NC
            Ray Communications Radio Network

            AM Stereo Radio list moderator-----
            amstereo-subcribe@...

            KC4QLP Amateur Radio
            Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
            www.kc4qlp.cjb.net
            Echolink node # 56704 -- 146.590 VHF,440.850 UHF (PL 131.8)