Shuttle Recovery Servers

  • brradioman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Please use the N2LEN or Edu_net Conf servers for monitoring the
      shuttle recovery in Texas,PLEASE NOT NOT TX PUT YOUR STATION IN
      MONITOR MODE,

      Bobby/N2BR
    • John <worldwidemd@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
        No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
        they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
        to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
        last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
        means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
        somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
        restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
        about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
        attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
        understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
        explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
        thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
        but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.

        -- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Please use the N2LEN or Edu_net Conf servers for monitoring the
        > shuttle recovery in Texas,PLEASE NOT NOT TX PUT YOUR STATION IN
        > MONITOR MODE,
        >
        > Bobby/N2BR
      • John N4SHX
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          Downloading took John ca. 4O-45 minutes only. Aber es ist ja das Gleiche! - Ingrid
          No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
          they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
          to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
          last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
          means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
          somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
          restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
          about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
          attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
          understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
          explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
          thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
          but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.

          -- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Please use the N2LEN or Edu_net Conf servers for monitoring the
          > shuttle recovery in Texas,PLEASE NOT NOT TX PUT YOUR STATION IN
          > MONITOR MODE,
          >
          > Bobby/N2BR

        • kf4vgx
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
            What I dont get is
            > they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
            > to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
            > last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
            > means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
            > somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level!
            Just
            > restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
            > about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
            > attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
            > understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
            > explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
            > thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long
            day
            > but it is also no excuse get it together fellas.
            :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
            Noticed that also .I just related it to being overly projective .
            But with a T3 I would think no reason for being brushed off.
            but I think in time things will mellow out if we all discuss it in
            the message boards . Echolink /Echolinkhams /Alertlink. Might be a
            good Topic for the Ares_Net Saturday night. there ya go Bob ! 73
            John
          • kc4qlp@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
              In a message dated 2/4/03 12:44:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              worldwidemd@... writes:

              << No Text messaging on any of the linked servers. What I dont get is
              they must like to be rude to people and waisting time asking people
              to move when they could just restict access to the server. The guy
              last night said they were worried about bandwidth? Whatever that
              means there were only 20 people on the server,get real! Sounds like
              somebody is taking there new found authority to the next level! Just
              restrict access to the WX-talk server then they dont have to worry
              about us and we dont have to listen to rude comments and bad
              attitudes. Half the people thet were in there yesterday didnt
              understand what was going on? Instead of taking a few minutes to
              explain thay just tell you to move and dont reply to your questions
              thats good radio! I guess thats what can be expected after a long day
              but it is also no excuse get it together fellas. >>

              Using Echolink for a situation like this is new...very new so there are a few
              quarks that have to be worked out.
              But something that isnt understood is that the WX_TALK server is being used
              as part of the communications along with RF.Restricting access to that server
              would be like telling someone that they cant listen to a certain
              frequency...thats why the other servers are linked to WX_TALK...one so that
              people can monitor and two for the people that are not proficient with how to
              operate Echolink,it keeps the key ups and dead air from hanging up WX_TALK
              and preventing communications back to their EOC. Having someone tie up the
              WX_TALK server is like having someone jam a frequency that the emergency net
              is being conducted on.
              To say that they are rude I feel is going a bit to far,way to far. Unless
              you've ever had to operate in a situation like those folks in Texas are
              having to do now....everything is tighly controled..your taking orders from
              federal officals..your there to assist in the recovery operation...that is
              fairly stressful and to have key ups on a server....accidental or not..it
              only adds to the frustration when you have to ask someone what they said.
              You would get the same response if they were operating on HF and you just
              happen to be operating to close to the net frequency....its only common
              curiosity to give operations like this plenty of room.Yes its nice to listen
              in..and those of us with RF links and repeaters to let this activity go over
              our stations to help let people know what ham radio is about...its serving
              your communities and your nation.Thats number one priority for my ham station
              and the radio stations that I work for.The hobby aspect of ham radio comes
              second.
              I speak from experience when hurricane Floyd pounded eastern NC and easten
              Va...areas were flooded that had never seen floods.Peoples homes washed
              away,under water,people lost there lives and property.Lines of communication
              broken.Ham radio saved the day again.It took months for things to resemble
              something sort of normal.Areas in eastern NC still havent fully recovered
              from this to this day.
              Yes it was stressful and some nights of little sleep,but with the help of
              other hams standing out of the way and letting those helping do what had to
              be done..it made everything work out smoother...espeically when there is no
              time to explain things to people..why you need to move off frequency,dont
              interrupt without addressing net control,only speak on the net when your
              asked...when your help is needed etc. When federal officals are involved..in
              our case it was FEMA and the National Guard...all you have time for is to do
              the task at hand....the time for explaining and small talk is not then.Seems
              rude yes...but thats just the way it works.
              Next time you hear a group helping in a disaster situation...cut them some
              slack.Yes they are not God or commandos of certain frequencies or
              servers..but they are doing an important job....let them do it without adding
              stuff to complicate matters.
              Put yourself in their shoes...take part if you can during the next
              disaster..it will give you first hand experience of what goes on on the other
              side of the "fence".Its not as easy as it sounds.

              In all reality..it might be possible that WX_TALK could have been setup for
              total restricted access for this operation. Be thankful that access isnt
              totally restricted and that the other conferences were added and muted as to
              not interfere with WX_TALK for monitoring purposes.
              The next disaster we might not be so lucky to have that privilege to listen
              in.

              73

              Bob Carter
              Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group

              WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
              Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5

              Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
              services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.
              e-mail:matlnenginerinsc@...
              Chief Engineer--WRCS-AM 970 Ahoskie NC
              WBXB-FM 100.1 Edenton NC
              WURB-FM 97.7 Windsor NC
              Ray Communications Radio Network

              AM Stereo Radio list moderator-----
              amstereo-subcribe@...

              KC4QLP Amateur Radio
              Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
              www.kc4qlp.cjb.net
              Echolink node # 56704 -- 146.590 VHF,440.850 UHF (PL 131.8)