Instructions for Uploading Images and Video Related to the Columbia Accident

  • Jim Thompson - W3LAP
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003

      Instructions for Uploading Images and Video Related to the Columbia Accident

      For anyone who has recorded video or taken photos that they believe may be of aid in the investigation of the Space Shuttle Columbia accident, NASA has established a special location on the Web where Internet users may upload their media files to be reviewed by NASA.

      ---
      73 de w3lap
      Jim Thompson  aka:Possum
    • A10382
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hi Jim,

        Just be advised that although this info appeared on a NASA .gov site, the upload system is in a .com domain -- 38.201.67.72  resolves to the system:
        "nasastage.nasa.psiweb.com"  NOT a government domain

        ------
        I saw this originally posed on an AMSAT mailing (without reference to the NASA posting ) and was originally suspicious, remembering similar requests after the Challenger accident.  In that case, some media hounds set up a PO box in DC and asked folks to send in their photos and recordings.

        One of the SAREX list major information contributors did assure me that the web site is in fact being used by NASA.  I would still question why they did not use a nasa.gov site and post the URL instead of the IP address ??

      • Bill <KB3GUN@swronline.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          The reason it probably isn't on a government server is due to new
          homeland security regulations. This keeps the .gov servers isolated
          from bad uploads. Just a guess...

          Bill-KB3GUN