EchoStation ?

  • kf4vgx
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2003
      Anyone Useing EchoStation? Need a few Tips
    • Ken Gamble
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2003
        I'm using EchoStation for announcements only. There is a discussion group
        for EchoStation too.

        -----------------------------------
        Ken
        VE3SNE-L
        Echo Link Node # 58082

        All outgoing messages scanned for viruses.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2003
          Yea I know I tried that board no activity for awhile now. Your useing
          the Echostation for Announcments . Are you useing wav recordings or
          synthesized voice ? The synthesized voice sounds robotic comparied to
          the the voice commands on Echolink ( As you have to use Microsoft
          Mike or Sam Or Mary ). Echolink sounds more like a Repeater type
          voice. As I like this better any tips ?
        • Ken Gamble
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
            Ok, I found that the EchoStation Program has many functions that I have no
            use for. My main purpose is announcing what the link will be doing. There
            has been some discussion about a possible combination of EchoStation and
            EchoLink so that the same com port / interface etc can be used. As it stands
            now only one program can use the radio/interface/ soundcard.
            Yes you are correct about the voice, I'm using the synthesized voice and
            I find it to be acceptable. I use "Mary" as it seems to be easier to
            understand. It is tough to find a real voice that sounds as good as the
            EchoLink voice. I seem to recall someone offering professional "voices" for
            a fee, I guess we only have two options, make our own or purchase one.

          • Peter <ve9ptr@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
              Hi Ken,
              I'm just curious, do you have to shutdown echolink when echostation
              is in use or have you found a way to run both systems at the same
              time? It would be nice to be able to run some short annoucements
              about the status of the link.

              73,
              Peter
              VE9PTR

              --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Gamble" <gamblek@s...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
                The idea of running both programs simultaneously is something that a lot of
                amateurs wish for. Many people including myself are looking into hardware
                solutions to that problem. However, the best solution involves software so
                that both programs can share the same hardware without hardware
                modifications. I did suggest the idea to K1RFD, the programmer for both
                programs. He is aware of our need. And yes, I have to operate one program
                then the other.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
                  Why not just run eqso at the same time? Alot of hams have been
                  putting alot of effort into echolink here the states. Yet very few
                  new stations been appearing stateside via Eqso. Lets not forget eqso
                  has been here longer is far more stable and stations arent restricted
                  by bandwidth of there own station bandwidth resrictions. Some of you
                  may disagree so of you may have no experiance with eqso point is its
                  there it works and allows for far more contacts than running just
                  echolink.

                  HAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Gamble" <gamblek@s...> wrote:
                  > The idea of running both programs simultaneously is something that
                  a lot of
                  > amateurs wish for. Many people including myself are looking into
                  hardware
                  > solutions to that problem. However, the best solution involves
                  software so
                  > that both programs can share the same hardware without hardware
                  > modifications. I did suggest the idea to K1RFD, the programmer for
                  both
                  > programs. He is aware of our need. And yes, I have to operate one
                  program
                  > then the other.

                  > Ken
                  > VE3SNE-L
                  > Echo Link Node # 58082
                  >
                  > All outgoing messages scanned for viruses.

                • Les Bradshaw
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
                    I running both programs but on two computers with one radio works good.....

                    Les
                    KC5ETV

                  • Alan Johnson <ajohnson@satx.rr.com>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
                      I am running both EchoLink and EchoStation on the same PC at the
                      same time. I am using two sound cards. I use VOX on both for
                      receive keying. http://www.nmt.edu/~tara/repeater/index1.html This
                      URL shows how to lash it together.

                      The only problem I have seen is having the EchoStation key up
                      without any input. Still not sure whats causing it. But, if I key
                      up on the repeater input it will send a courtesy tone and unkey. It
                      only happens once in a while.

                      Alan
                      K9CTF
                      EchoLink 66353
                    • kc4qlp@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
                        In a message dated 2/6/03 11:42:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, ajohnson@... writes:

                        The only problem I have seen is having the EchoStation key up
                        without any input.  Still not sure whats causing it.  But, if I key
                        up on the repeater input it will send a courtesy tone and unkey.  It
                        only happens once in a while.

                        Is it possible that when your transmitter is on that some RF is getting back into the receiver? I noticed you didnt have any duplexers in the system.

                        Bob Carter
                        Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group

                        WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
                        Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5

                        Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
                        services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.
                        e-mail:matlnenginerinsc@...
                        Chief Engineer--WRCS-AM 970 Ahoskie NC
                                                   WBXB-FM 100.1 Edenton NC
                                                       WURB-FM 97.7 Windsor NC
                                                           Ray Communications Radio Network

                        AM Stereo Radio list moderator-----
                        amstereo-subcribe@...

                                               KC4QLP  Amateur Radio
                                        Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
                                                   www.kc4qlp.cjb.net
                        Echolink node # 56704 -- 146.590 VHF,440.850 UHF (PL 131.8)
                      • Kg4LMU_John <kg4lmu@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
                          I have heard of other stations having the same problem some sysops
                          have opted to go to the older version's of echolink.

                          --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Johnson <ajohnson@s...>"

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
                            Bob,
                            Thanks for the input. The system as it is setup now has receive on
                            UHF and XMIT on two. I have also played with two antennas and a
                            dummy load on XMIT. The thing I find interesting is after the xmtr
                            hangs I can key a HT on the input and the system will unkey. I have
                            a set of cans that I plan to use to put it all on UHF. Just have to
                            find the time to tune them.

                            Alan
                            K9CTF