Re: But is it Ham Radio?

  • kc3mn.rm <kc3mn@adelphia.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
      did you even read what i posted ????????

      --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, kg4lmu_john <no_reply@y...>

    • n4wwc <n4wwc@qsl.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
        <kc3mn@a...> wrote:
        > did you even read what i posted ????????

        His response suggested to me that he didn't read your post.

        But to add to your post 'But is it Ham Radio?', it would seem that
        some questioning Echolink being Ham Radio are using the narrow
        definition that Ham Radio is about and only about RF in total.

        Well, Echolink has lots of RF points to connect to and often times I
        use it through our repeater here. So there is more often than not RF
        on both ends.

        So it would appear to me and many others that it is Ham Radio in
        action with of course the 'Internet Propagation' bridging the gap.
        <smile>

        It's pretty cool stuff if you ask me. And brings to the table what
        I'd like to call another 'Mode of Operation'. That's all it is if
        you ask me.

        N4WWC-L #7327
        Bowling Green, KY
      • Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
          Hi everyone:

          I'll go even further than that.

          If Ham Radio continues to draw in upon itself and celebrate ONLY past glory WITHOUT giving (what COULD be) NEW glory a chance (much less a try!), it WILL die a SLOW & PAINFUL death.  THAT would be THE GREATEST sorrow of all.  :-(

          There is, however, NOTHING wrong with celebrating past glory.  :-)

          Just my thoughts  :-)Cheers for now & Happy Holidays  :-)

          73

          Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
          KB0OXD CyberShack Webmaster
          Owner - EchoLink Node 19905
          pchamster@...
          Denver, Colorado  USA  Grid Square - DM79
          http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/
          Remember....You can visit my Ham Radio websites and PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN THE GUESTBOOK!!!  Otherwise, I wouldn't know if you've even been there and you wouldn't want that.....would you???  :-) *batting eyebrows*

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
            I'll throw in what I wrote recently on QRZ.com as both an FYI about my
            system and a (semi) related note in this thread...

            In order to get onto the EchoLink system with the setup I'm running, a
            user's signal passes through at least 7 radios! The user only controls
            two of them (full control of his own, and partial control of the link),
            but someone else has set up the other 5. In this case, I have worked
            with the repeater owner (and the organization that sponsors it) to
            configure the repeater for use with EchoLink. It was fun getting into
            the guts and changing stuff around in the radio and the controller to
            learn what things worked best and so forth.

            At my home where the link radio resides, I built and setup the antenna
            (while it was snowing of course), configured the radio, built the
            interface to and configured the computer and installed the software.
            This was all very engaging for me and continues to be. I like listening
            to other people talk on the system and hearing comments once in a while
            at meetings saying that they liked listening even though I haven't heard
            them talking on the link. As I move my APRS I-Gate along with its
            associated equipment from my office to my home, I will need to make sure
            that they don't interfere with each other. I have enlisted the help of
            some local experts who have done this sort of stuff before.

            Regarding the rest of the RF linking: Although it's nearly a commodity
            these days, it was still interesting to me when I installed it. I
            didn't build the 2.4GHz antenna on my roof, but I could have. Since I
            am working with a startup Wireless ISP for my connectivity, I helped
            them install the system (up on the roof and at their office
            troubleshooting both ends of the connection). Getting sufficient DC
            power to the network bridge located 30 feet in the air across a long
            roof and down into my basement was quite an exercise. Choosing which
            link to point my 802.11b antenna at was also interesting since there was
            more than one I could have used. Maximizing the signal strength and
            signal/noise ratios while not difficult, will probably need to be done
            again in the spring as the trees in my line of sight path grow more
            microwave soaking leaves. I'll send my son up with his HT and watch the
            levels down here as we optimize the signal. From the access point I
            link to, there are two other RF connections before the signal gets onto
            copper at the local CO (which is right across the street from the last
            RF receiver).

            There are a lot of things in this system that have to be running right
            in order to have the system work. The fact that it will all go down if
            there's a local disaster is OK with me because I've designed the system
            to be supplementary. It's here as just another tool that may be
            beneficial someday, somehow. Some people are exploring ways that the
            system might be useful in an emergency. But, unless people know about
            its capabilities and limitations, it will truly be useless.
            FWIW...There will be a few people on the N2LEN system (node #6427)
            tonight (Dec 4) at 9pm EST (0400z) discussing the possibilities.

            I still use other more traditional methods to communicate as well
            (anything from mirror signaling to sign language), but I have very much
            enjoyed myself in this particular corner of Amateur Radio.

            ...Doug KD7LRJ
            Lindon, Utah
            Net Manager, Utah County ARES
            Operator node #46049