Re: EchoLink.....facts (legal?)...Help me understand more

  • Don <dhobson123@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
      Maybe I have missed something here and this group/site is just for
      posting EchoLink Nets or chats.....I would appreciate any help to my
      questions (some of my questions I have been researching already) and
      if this is not the proper site to ask questions about EchoLink I can
      try maybe QRZ but seems one gets nothing but negative replies there
      at times. Thanks again for reading if you can help if not I again
      will use other routes...73
      de kb9umt Don

      --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Don <dhobson123@a...>"
      <dhobson123@a...> wrote:
      > Hello All:
      >
      > I would like some help/data/facts to help me document that EchoLink
      > is legal and what we as Hams really can do via this InterNet
      > Linking. I am NOT knew to this so please do not email or reply
      with
      > sites that have general information about EchoLink or other
      internet
      > linking systems. I used one of the first internet linking systems
      in
      > the UK and Australia a few years back (using their 430 repeater
      > systems and IPHONE) and I would have to say it was very neat to
      have
      > a pileup on 430 trying to talk to my station that was via the
      > internet and using their 430 repeater. Again I would like someone
      > give me references (NOT opinoins but FACTS) to the Legal issues on
      my
      > questions in regards to FCC part97 and or valid URLs with these
      > concerns...here are some of my questions:
      >
      > Is an InterNet ILINK station that will transmit InterNet voice over
      > some other RF Ham Controlled Station on the VHF/UHF bands actually
      > even legal? If so why and referenses if possible.
      >
      > Is the Ham that is Controlling the RF/Radio part over his Ham Radio
      > on VHF/UHF frequencies considered a repeater station since one is
      > taking InterNet voice of another Person over through the
      Controlling
      > Hams Radio and out over the air......is it a repeater fuction?
      >
      > Where can this be done on the Ham Bands? Only 430mhz and above?
      Can
      > this be legally done on 2 meters? If this can be done on 2 meters
      or
      > even 6 meters then you are saying that it is not a repeater
      function
      > and the Ham in charge is Controlling the operation and acting as
      > Control operator and must be at the Control point doing ALL the
      > Control functions...right?
      >
      > FCC and how does it view this? Many of you have had to have wrote
      > the FCC or ARRL on their opinions on this..so if you did then what
      > response did you get and how do they view this Internet to radio
      > fuction?
      >
      > Iding by the Ham Controlling the node is the key letting all know
      > where the RF signal is coming from on the Ham Bands...so is this
      > being done proper and it is indeed a Control fuction..right?? If
      > this is so then what is the deference of letting a boyscout in my
      > shack vs a boyscout over the internet link use my radio as long as
      > the Ham Calsign ID's and the Control fuctions is done ALL by that
      Ham
      > just as it would be done if the boy was sitting with you instead
      via
      > the internet?
      >
      > These are just a few of my long list of questions and again I think
      > this is neat stuff and will use it and try to help others that
      might
      > no have access to a Ham Radio or antennas actually get RF out on
      the
      > Ham Bands but I would like some FACTS/URLs/FCCinfo/ on this before
      > getting full into this and NOT just opinions.
      >
      > Thanks to anyone and all that can help or that will respond.
      >
      > de kb9umt Don
      > Peoria IL
    • Kim & Steve Merrill
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
        Hi Don,

        "how do they view this Internet to radio fuction?"

        Ref:  http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/09/10/1/

        The FCC and ARRL are strange bedfellows.  I do not think the ARRL has any problems with EchoLink.  I believe now that Voice-Over-Internet with a little over-the-airwaves mixed in, is now permanently here to stay.   If there were any doubt of this, then the ARRL President Jim Haynie, W5JBP would have never accepted the invitation to address the eQSO in this years 9/11 commemorative services in New York.  The ARRL does do it's homework.

        Consider this.  People are resistant to change.  Perhaps Hams even more so...

        EchoLink is a beginning to a new era.  Not all Hams will accept it as a good thing

        Perhaps not what you were looking for.........

        Steve  KB1DIG ;-)

        "Don  " wrote:

         Hello All:

        I would like some help/data/facts to help me document that EchoLink
        is legal and what we as Hams really can do via this InterNet
        Linking.  I am NOT knew to this so please do not email or reply with
        sites that have general information about EchoLink or other internet
        linking systems.  I used one of the first internet linking systems in
        the UK and Australia a few years back (using their 430 repeater
        systems and IPHONE) and I would have to say it was very neat to have
        a pileup on 430 trying to talk to my station that was via the
        internet and using their 430 repeater.  Again I would like someone to

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
          Hi Steve KB1DIG:

          Thanks Steve for the reply...thought for a moment maybe this was a
          forum to post EchoLink Nets or Calendar events (which are always nice
          to know btw).

          This is exactly what I am looking for!! I want some of you seasoned
          users to help me out....one can not sell this kind of newer form of
          commnication using a computer link without any facts to questions you
          know will come up when persenting it. I did run across that ARRL Jim
          Haynie used the eQSO and I know they do good homework.....but always
          nice to have the facts down on paper. I am using this as I said and
          it is what I like to do in Ham Radio...have fun, try new things, and
          maybe tell others of your findings...but please is you have any info
          inregards to my orignal post please let me know here or via
          email...thaks

          de kb9umt Don
          kb9umt@...

          --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, Kim & Steve Merrill <buck0@a...>

          Service.
        • Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
            Hi evertyone:

            Don....Join THE OFFICIAL EchoLink Mailing List by sending an email to....

            I guarantee you'll get an answer there....

            Cheers for now & Happy Holidays  :-)

            73

            Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
            KB0OXD CyberShack Webmaster
            Owner - EchoLink Node 19905
            pchamster@...
            Denver, Colorado  USA  Grid Square - DM79
            http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/
            Remember....You can visit my Ham Radio websites and PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN THE GUESTBOOK!!!  Otherwise, I wouldn't know if you've even been there and you wouldn't want that.....would you???  :-) *batting eyebrows*

            P.S.:  What WAS your question anyway??

          • Don <dhobson123@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
              Thanks Pat.....I just joined the other group along with this one...I
              like to read and get as much information as I can before just jumping
              in and assuming things....I think it helps to know some of these
              issues before one can sell this idea and or operator it....and I DO
              LIKE this idea.

              de kb9umt Don

              --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cook, KB0OXD"

              Service.