EchoLink.....facts (legal?)...Help me understand more

  • Don <dhobson123@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
      Hello All:

      I would like some help/data/facts to help me document that EchoLink
      is legal and what we as Hams really can do via this InterNet
      Linking. I am NOT knew to this so please do not email or reply with
      sites that have general information about EchoLink or other internet
      linking systems. I used one of the first internet linking systems in
      the UK and Australia a few years back (using their 430 repeater
      systems and IPHONE) and I would have to say it was very neat to have
      a pileup on 430 trying to talk to my station that was via the
      internet and using their 430 repeater. Again I would like someone to
      give me references (NOT opinoins but FACTS) to the Legal issues on my
      questions in regards to FCC part97 and or valid URLs with these
      concerns...here are some of my questions:

      Is an InterNet ILINK station that will transmit InterNet voice over
      some other RF Ham Controlled Station on the VHF/UHF bands actually
      even legal? If so why and referenses if possible.

      Is the Ham that is Controlling the RF/Radio part over his Ham Radio
      on VHF/UHF frequencies considered a repeater station since one is
      taking InterNet voice of another Person over through the Controlling
      Hams Radio and out over the air......is it a repeater fuction?

      Where can this be done on the Ham Bands? Only 430mhz and above? Can
      this be legally done on 2 meters? If this can be done on 2 meters or
      even 6 meters then you are saying that it is not a repeater function
      and the Ham in charge is Controlling the operation and acting as
      Control operator and must be at the Control point doing ALL the
      Control functions...right?

      FCC and how does it view this? Many of you have had to have wrote
      the FCC or ARRL on their opinions on this..so if you did then what
      response did you get and how do they view this Internet to radio
      fuction?

      Iding by the Ham Controlling the node is the key letting all know
      where the RF signal is coming from on the Ham Bands...so is this
      being done proper and it is indeed a Control fuction..right?? If
      this is so then what is the deference of letting a boyscout in my
      shack vs a boyscout over the internet link use my radio as long as
      the Ham Calsign ID's and the Control fuctions is done ALL by that Ham
      just as it would be done if the boy was sitting with you instead via
      the internet?

      These are just a few of my long list of questions and again I think
      this is neat stuff and will use it and try to help others that might
      no have access to a Ham Radio or antennas actually get RF out on the
      Ham Bands but I would like some FACTS/URLs/FCCinfo/ on this before
      getting full into this and NOT just opinions.

      Thanks to anyone and all that can help or that will respond.

      de kb9umt Don
      Peoria IL
    • Don <dhobson123@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
        Maybe I have missed something here and this group/site is just for
        posting EchoLink Nets or chats.....I would appreciate any help to my
        questions (some of my questions I have been researching already) and
        if this is not the proper site to ask questions about EchoLink I can
        try maybe QRZ but seems one gets nothing but negative replies there
        at times. Thanks again for reading if you can help if not I again
        will use other routes...73
        de kb9umt Don

        --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Don <dhobson123@a...>"

      • Kim & Steve Merrill
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
          Hi Don,

          "how do they view this Internet to radio fuction?"

          Ref:  http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/09/10/1/

          The FCC and ARRL are strange bedfellows.  I do not think the ARRL has any problems with EchoLink.  I believe now that Voice-Over-Internet with a little over-the-airwaves mixed in, is now permanently here to stay.   If there were any doubt of this, then the ARRL President Jim Haynie, W5JBP would have never accepted the invitation to address the eQSO in this years 9/11 commemorative services in New York.  The ARRL does do it's homework.

          Consider this.  People are resistant to change.  Perhaps Hams even more so...

          EchoLink is a beginning to a new era.  Not all Hams will accept it as a good thing

          Perhaps not what you were looking for.........

          Steve  KB1DIG ;-)

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
            Hi Steve KB1DIG:

            Thanks Steve for the reply...thought for a moment maybe this was a
            forum to post EchoLink Nets or Calendar events (which are always nice
            to know btw).

            This is exactly what I am looking for!! I want some of you seasoned
            users to help me out....one can not sell this kind of newer form of
            commnication using a computer link without any facts to questions you
            know will come up when persenting it. I did run across that ARRL Jim
            Haynie used the eQSO and I know they do good homework.....but always
            nice to have the facts down on paper. I am using this as I said and
            it is what I like to do in Ham Radio...have fun, try new things, and
            maybe tell others of your findings...but please is you have any info
            inregards to my orignal post please let me know here or via
            email...thaks

            de kb9umt Don
            kb9umt@...

            --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, Kim & Steve Merrill <buck0@a...>

            Service.
          • Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
              Hi evertyone:

              Don....Join THE OFFICIAL EchoLink Mailing List by sending an email to....

              I guarantee you'll get an answer there....

              Cheers for now & Happy Holidays  :-)

              73

              Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
              KB0OXD CyberShack Webmaster
              Owner - EchoLink Node 19905
              pchamster@...
              Denver, Colorado  USA  Grid Square - DM79
              http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/
              Remember....You can visit my Ham Radio websites and PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN THE GUESTBOOK!!!  Otherwise, I wouldn't know if you've even been there and you wouldn't want that.....would you???  :-) *batting eyebrows*

              P.S.:  What WAS your question anyway??

            • Don <dhobson123@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
                Thanks Pat.....I just joined the other group along with this one...I
                like to read and get as much information as I can before just jumping
                in and assuming things....I think it helps to know some of these
                issues before one can sell this idea and or operator it....and I DO
                LIKE this idea.

                de kb9umt Don

                --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cook, KB0OXD"

                Service.