Re: Auto ID and ID issues

  • jmcint1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
      Echolink will auto id every 10 minutes after someone is keyed up on
      the link sometime during that time frame.

      The issue I have found is that if you set the program up to not
      transmit when the rf frequency is busy, and an internet connected ham
      disconnects from the link while the rf frequency is busy then the
      link won't send an id (or disconnect message either). This causes
      the link to not id as it should legally do. I have found a manual
      work around by DTMF or HTML controling the id when this occurs.

      Besides the id issue, when this occurs those on the RF side have no
      idea that the internet ham has disconnnected and this causes some
      confusion. The only way to verify the disconnect is to again DTMF or
      HTML the link and request a connection status.

      One improvement to the program would be to have the echolink program
      buffer the id and disconnect message and send it out once the
      frequency isn't busy for legality reasons. You can kill two birds
      with one stone then. Just my two cents...

      Other then this one minor thing, this program really rocks!

      73
      Jory
      KJ5RM-L
      46873