Re: [ECHOLINK-RADIO] Re: Split IP question

  • Fr. Johnny Shepherd
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 31, 2007
      Okay Bill thanks - I use to have a computer store in Farmington, NM for years. About 4 years ago there was a fire (had just moved the business from a shop downtown to home based) and we lost all except for 1 car and the clothes on our back. Starting over was tough but life moves on! I can do networks and was a tech for an ISP back before cable modem. Can do networks okay but this Split IP CM stuff had me reeling! Anyway I am in Cortez, Colorado about 48 miles from Durango and look forward to talking to you. I do SSTV, RTTY and HF voice also. 73 Johnny

      FX wrote:

      Oh yeah; perfect sense. To me, with the available 'extra hardware'
      you have, you can implement your second 'network' for no additional
      cost. To me that is the best way to go...

      As far as credentials, I was in telecommunications for over 20 years.
      Had to deal with a nation wide WAN and local LANs, with satelite
      linking at some points and RF links in others; remote telephone
      switches, and all kinds of transmitters and receivers... Point to
      point microwave links, you name it... So I do have a general idea of
      what I am talking about. lol

      Have ya got it hooked up yet? lmao..

      Need to get up with you on your echolink system in that area; been
      meaning to. Where are you located again? I kinda forgot... I'm over
      here in Fort Dodge, Kansas. I remember you said you are in Colorado,
      I'll look through my list again.

      Incidentally, Johnny, I am running echolink in Ubuntu Linux, using
      Wine, and typing in the Linux version of Firefox, right now. I have a
      hardware modem in my box, but at this point I am on a cable modem
      myself. I have two desktops here in my room, and a laptop on
      wireless. I have Ubuntu on all three. so far I have file sharing up
      between them and as soon as I finish up a couple of other projects, I
      am going to set the three of them up for 'remote desktop' operation;
      and I am going to turn the second desktop into a LAMP server; mainly
      just 'studying' as I still love playing with all the different modes /
      methods of communications. For over 20 years, used to work on
      electronics and puters all day and then go home and play with them for
      half the night! lol....

      Anyway... We'll get ya going...

      Bill
      WE5Q

      --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@ yahoogroups. com, "Fr. Johnny Shepherd"
      <fieldservice@ ...> wrote:

      > All I am trying to do is have two separate Wan IP's coming into the
      > house from my cable modem which then will go to two separate Lan's.
      Like
      > having two dialup phone lines but faster. My problem is I did not know
      > how to split the two Wan IP's assigned to me by my ISP. Make sense? 73
      > Johnny
      >
      > FX wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not sure what he's trying to do... I would think that would be
      > > router specific; my LAN IP's begin at 192.168.10.1 note the '10' not
      > > '100'. maybe he dealt with a specific type of router or cable modem
      > > install or something; They are DEFINATELY not all the same... You
      > > might try polling your router with whatever variation your LAN
      IP's are...

      > > --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@ yahoogroups. com
      > > <mailto:ECHOLINK- RADIO%40yahoogro ups.com>, "Fr. Johnny Shepherd"
      > > <fieldservice@ > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yes I see that but the HUB is part of the Linksys and I don't see
      > > what a
      > > > hub by itself will do when it already goes to a hub now. But lets
      > > forget
      > > > the Lan for now what I need to conceptualize is the two IP's coming
      > > into
      > > > the house and splitting them into two systems. I have been doing
      my Lan
      > > > for years (at one point had 12 computers on the Lan) and understand
      > > > that portion quite clearly so once I have two IP's I can deal with
      > > where
      > > > to go from there.
      > > >
      > > > The way I understand it at this point is to split the cable
      coming into
      > > > the house with a cable splitter into two modems then run two
      separate
      > > > routers into two separate hubs (or routers with hubs - which I
      have two
      > > > already) then get the computers setup which are designated for that
      > > > specific IP and at this point to call the ISP for the activation of
      > > the
      > > > second WAN IP.
      > > >
      > > > But wait....quote: "You can hook two WAN sides of the routers
      and make
      > > > 2 separate networks"... ..I continue.... This is a whole different
      ball
      > > > game and I need to hear more! My linksys has a Router and a hub and
      > > also
      > > > is wireless. The router only has one Wan port and 4 hub ports so
      how do
      > > > I attach two WAN's when I have one WAN port? So I still split
      the cable
      > > > and enter into two separate routers and hubs? If so then I am back
      > > to my
      > > > understanding from the paragraph above! Sorry to be so thick
      headed!!!

      > > > This is fun and frustrating at the same time. It seems the older
      I get
      > > > the more difficulty I have conceptualizing things!!! I
      appreciate all
      > > > your help and suggestions and the fellowship which circles it all.
      > > 73 Johnny

      > > <mailto:ECHOLINK- RADIO%40yahoogro ups.com>

      The tech

      WAN side

      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2007
        Hi Bill - sorry I ahve been so busy lately that I have not had time but it is on my to do list. 73 Johnny

        FX wrote:

        Hey Johnny... Just checking in; ain't seen anything from you in the
        last few days. I am anxious to know how the 'split IP' turned out.
        If there is/was another method of connecting things in order to
        accomplish what ya wanted, I'd like to know, for future reference.
        Holler when ya get a second...