I'm Have Returned (With News)

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi everyone:

      After being on hiatus since November (Hard Drive kicked the bucket and
      have been busy catching up on other things since the beginning of the
      year), I'm back on as a PC user. I'd log on in sysop mode if it
      weren't for the fact that my ICOM IC-706 MKII-G is broke and I don't
      know why (Hopefully it's nothing more than a blown fuse) and it's
      basically the only rig I have (Plus the interface board I got is
      designed specifically with the 706 in mind)

      Anyhow, I also come with some news as well.

      I have found a FREE streaming media host (Yes I'm perfectly sober,
      thank you very much :) ) that we can use (If we so wish) to revive the
      old EchoStreamers thing that we used to have sometime back (Remember
      when some of the nodes and conference servers were streamed live in
      Windows Media?). The place is called StreamWebTown and the URL is
      http://www.streamwebtown.com/

      They use Windows Media as their streaming mechanism and Windows Media
      Encoder (Provided by Microsoft) as the preferred software. They
      accept audio and video streams up to 300K.

      The point I'm trying to make is this. I think we can use this to
      revive the EchoStreamers system. In fact, I was thinking about it
      earlier today and I don't think it would take very much effort on my
      part to maintain a section on my website for this. All that would be
      required is for people to send the direct URL and I can then put an
      embedded player on a web page in the EchoStreamers section that's
      linked to the stream. Of course, the default start setting would have
      to be off. Otherwise users might be tuning into 20 QSOs at once and
      we wouldn't want that, now would we?

      And to make it even simpler, we could follow the EchoLink system for
      the creation of the published point. In other words, if I had a node
      that I wanted to put on in streaming media using this system, my
      Windows Media publishing point would likely be
      mms://streamwebtown.com/kb0oxd-l (Mind you, this is assuming that
      dashes are acceptable characters in the publishing point name).

      There's an FAQ as to how the whole system works on the StreamWebTown
      site, but in any case, I believe we can revive the EchoStreamers thing
      using this system and I'll even go so far as to set up the section on
      my website unless someone else wants to head this up.

      Anyway...Thoughts anyone?

      Cheers & 73 :D

      --
      Pat Cook, KB0OXD