FT-897

  • kraftwerk1976
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2002
      ----I wonder if the FT-897 will need an A.M. filter like my FT-100
      did? I didn't see it listed as an option. A few months ago, I found
      someone to talk to on 6 meters...Nothing very unusual..But this
      fellow had A.M. on his radio! So, I put my radio on A.M. and was
      told it sounded muffled! What a disappointment when I learned I
      needed to buy the A.M. filter for transmission and reception.
      Perhaps I am naive, but I figured if the radio came with the A.M.
      mode, it would be able to talk on the mode...Well, it can, but it
      does not sound good at all (at least without the filter).
      Fortunately, I was able to purchase the filter and install it with no
      problems at all. Except for the little A.M. filter confusion, I have
      had no problems with My FT-100 in the three years since I have owned
      it. I've also got an FT-8000 dual bander that I have had since 1995
      or so, with no problems whatsoever. Go Yaesu! If the price is
      right, I might invest in the FT-897, of course I will have to cut
      back on luxuries such as food and electricity, haha.

      --Adam
    • kraftwerk1976
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2002
        ----I don't know what that jack on the front is, whether it's a
        headphone jack, or a jack for a c.w. key, but regardless, it's nice
        to have something mounted in the front for a change. One thing I
        would like to see with new rigs, is one of those microphone
        connectors that you actually have to screw on, and are made of
        metal. Granted, i've NEVER had a problem with the plastic telephone
        type plugs, but I have heard about ten times more complaints with the
        telephone type plugs compared to the metal, round ones...They just
        seem more fragile than the metal plugs. Okay, enough critiquing and
        complaining for tonight...I need to go to sleep, haha.

        --Adam
      • worldwidemd
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
          I beleive the jack in the front is the headset jack It looks like it
          Definitly not an antenna feed. Also I have ordered both the
          rigblaster and the echolink radio control program I have also made
          contact this morning with the local 2m repeater owner. Needless to
          say on a trial bases and "as long as theres not too much
          KERchunking!" My station will be connected to the local repeater
          A.S.A.P. I picked up an htx-245 today at the local pawn shop for
          $75.00 So as soon as I get the rigblaster I will be up and running.
          Also I would like to inform everybody that I have built a web page
          for the club that can be accessed through the Dx-zone,E.ham.net,and
          QRZ.com. Its listed under Clubs and organization's on all site,s
          except for Qrz.com which will take a few days.You can also get to it
          by my callsign look up KG4LMU please refer all freinds you think
          might be interested in the club to this page. Also there has been a
          wealth of info uploaded to the files tab so check it out. Thanks and
          good luck Dxing.