Echolink on fielddday

  • Ralf Heinecke
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2005
      Hallo ECHOLINK-RADIO,

      This summer I wanted to run a Echolink station from the scouts camp ground of the world
      youth day over the local HF-Gateway, but there was a problem: I had no internet connection
      and so there was no chance for me to get the node numbers of other stations to connect.

      I solved the problem on the next day by printing out a list of all echolinkstations on
      echolink.org, but that was only a snapshot and when I startet, many stations had gone
      and others had logged in and I had the same problem again.

      Back home I had an idea: what about providing an up-to-date list via packet radio ?
      I sat down and wrote a small perl script called Echolist to list call, location and
      nodenumber of logged in echolink stations.
      This script alows to enter up to three search strings or regular expressions
      to search for stations.

      Examples:

      "elist New York"
      lists all Stations with the words "New York" in their location text.

      "elist DO1EH"
      lists the node number and location of the callsign DO1EH.

      Even more interessting is the use of regular expressions:

      "elist d[a-r][0-9]
      Lists all stations beginning with D followed by any charakter between A and R then
      followed by any number between 0 and 9 in other words: it lists all german stations.

      Currently a german version is installed in DB0FHN and was successfully tested on the
      Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) last weekend.

      To try it out just connect DB0FHN via packet radio, type in "shell" to enter the linux
      shell and then type in the elist command as shown above.

      If you want to install the script on your own packet radio node write an email to me
      (rnh@...) via packet radio: do1eh@DB0UHC.#NRW.DEU.EU and I send you a copy
      (english or german version).

      All you need to use this is a packet radio node with perl support and internet connection.

      vy 73

      |)
      |\alf