reply to KG4LMU and a correction to a statement I made.

  • Evans F. Mitchell KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2005
      " I have yet to see a wiresII MODULE support Echolink. "

      That was were the previous statement was going here. I know
      there are 7 nodes who have a WiresII module connected
      to a/the/their repeater system, but it(wiresII) is not an Echolink
      supportable
      item (not to jab at the Echo projects that are out there, but
      there are no hard drives installed in the wires module as far
      as I remember) that can have Echolink running within it's self.
      Now as far as I know, I do know there is 2 wiresII nodes
      that have been cross platformed so they can connect to Echolink
      but there was not much to talk about it's operation.
      So no, my statement was not a FACT, it was my opinion.
      Also, there are no known systems that have BOTH WIRES and ECHOLINK
      running on the same computer to my knowledge as of this date nor since 2002
      when WIRES and WiresII came about.
      (I have been doing Voip HAM Radio since Repeater Link and RptrLink 98)
      That dates back to early 1996. Oh wait that's about the time Nextel rolled
      out in
      Florida too.... ha ha

      While searching Google, I did not find anyone with any website
      dedicated to WIRES II and Echolink COMBINED, so there may
      or may not be a true documented site about a true wiresII to Echo
      system, thous my opinion is this, you still have to have 2 computers
      to cross platform the two systems. Any Electronic Engineer Tech
      can take these and Engineer a cross patch cable for them (WIRES and Echo)
      and make a few modifacations to the software and wala, it's a
      dual system. (BTW according to the WIRES website, there are 17 US nodes
      on line at the time of this email and 40+ japan nodes)

      LATEST WIRES-II ACTIVE ID LIST
      Update every 10 min
      2005/ 10/ 17 09: 32 JST
      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:32:43 UTC
      http://www.vxstd.com/en/wiresinfo-en/
      http://www.vxstd.com/en/wiresinfo-en/activelist.html
      4114 VK3RTL Melbourne *** Australia 438.600 TSQ: 91.5Hz QF22JD
      37.51.16S 144.46.41E WIRES-II / EchoIRL

      But I did find this one.......

      I am not incorrect, just not informed enough that WIRES II and
      EchoLink are tied together, and is a really big deal now.

      Also I AM incorrect stating WIRES II is a Kenwood thing.
      It is Yeasu that handles the WIRES II system, not Kenwood.

      Not a flame reply or taunt, just an opinion that we all share.
      VoIP is here to stay and is a very important tool to ANY HAM!

      Evans F. Mitchell
      KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL; USAF MARS
      ARRL E.C.; Polk County, WCF Section
      ARRL Member
      ARRL WCF SECTION WEBSITE
      http://www.arrlwcf.org
      http://www.polkemcomm.org
      kd4efm _@_ hotmail ,com
      kd4efm at arrl dot net

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2005
        RR Just wanted to point out in the past echolink has been linked to
        wires2. However due to its lack of use fewer and fewer have been
        interested in wires2. Echolink and IRLP have become the main staple
        of VOIP and I feel will continue on this path for quit some time.

        --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Evans F. Mitchell KD4EFM /
        AFA2TH FL" <kd4efm@k...> wrote:

        > " I have yet to see a wiresII MODULE support Echolink. "
        >
        > That was were the previous statement was going here. I know
        > there are 7 nodes who have a WiresII module connected
        > to a/the/their repeater system, but it(wiresII) is not an Echolink
        > supportable
        > item (not to jab at the Echo projects that are out there, but
        > there are no hard drives installed in the wires module as far
        > as I remember) that can have Echolink running within it's self.
        > Now as far as I know, I do know there is 2 wiresII nodes
        > that have been cross platformed so they can connect to Echolink
        > but there was not much to talk about it's operation.
        > So no, my statement was not a FACT, it was my opinion.
        > Also, there are no known systems that have BOTH WIRES and ECHOLINK
        > running on the same computer to my knowledge as of this date nor
        since 2002
        > when WIRES and WiresII came about.
        > (I have been doing Voip HAM Radio since Repeater Link and RptrLink
        98)
        > That dates back to early 1996. Oh wait that's about the time Nextel
        rolled
        > out in
        > Florida too.... ha ha
        >
        > While searching Google, I did not find anyone with any website
        > dedicated to WIRES II and Echolink COMBINED, so there may
        > or may not be a true documented site about a true wiresII to Echo
        > system, thous my opinion is this, you still have to have 2 computers
        > to cross platform the two systems. Any Electronic Engineer Tech
        > can take these and Engineer a cross patch cable for them (WIRES and
        Echo)
        > and make a few modifacations to the software and wala, it's a
        > dual system. (BTW according to the WIRES website, there are 17 US
        nodes
        > on line at the time of this email and 40+ japan nodes)
        >
        > LATEST WIRES-II ACTIVE ID LIST
        > Update every 10 min
        > 2005/ 10/ 17 09: 32 JST
        > Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:32:43 UTC
        > http://www.vxstd.com/en/wiresinfo-en/
        > http://www.vxstd.com/en/wiresinfo-en/activelist.html
        > 4114 VK3RTL Melbourne *** Australia 438.600 TSQ: 91.5Hz
        QF22JD
        > 37.51.16S 144.46.41E WIRES-II / EchoIRL
        >
        > But I did find this one.......
        >
        > I am not incorrect, just not informed enough that WIRES II and
        > EchoLink are tied together, and is a really big deal now.
        >
        > Also I AM incorrect stating WIRES II is a Kenwood thing.
        > It is Yeasu that handles the WIRES II system, not Kenwood.
        >
        > Not a flame reply or taunt, just an opinion that we all share.
        > VoIP is here to stay and is a very important tool to ANY HAM!
        >
        > Evans F. Mitchell
        > KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL; USAF MARS
        > ARRL E.C.; Polk County, WCF Section
        > ARRL Member