echolink,winlink,etc?

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2005
      what are the differnces between winlink and echolink? will the wires
      enabeled radios hook up to echolink? sorry but am very new to all this
      voip stuff..any help is greatly appreciated:)
      73
    • Evans F. Mitchell KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2005
        Ben, I went through all my emails and did not
        see a reply. SO HERE WE GO.

        Winlink, not voip software, it is HF vhf, uhf, software for sending emails
        via amatuer
        radio out of a devistated area. (used by ares groups alot) IT is also a way
        to communicate
        via HAM RADIO on a daily basis. www.winlink2k.org i think is the website.

        EchoLINK: this is VoIP software. www.echolink.org
        WiresII: hardware specific and propriatery to Kenwood and it too is VoIP.

        WiresII to EchoLink, to my knowledge, this has not happened and probably
        wont.
        I have heard wiresII is loosing it's ground (falling to a "OLD TYPE" of Voip
        product, like repeater link 98)

        IRLP: this too is VoIP and it too is propriatery but in a hardware way.
        (must be connected to a Radio/repeater)
        IRLP is not a pc with mic and speaker system. A little more intensive, but a
        lot more fun. (my opinion being I run
        both IRLP and EchoIRLP)

        My question to you is: What is your goal in mind and what do you want to do?
        What are your wanting to accomplish? personnal use, repeater connection type
        node, portable, ect.
        no one person is the same, I jsut happen to help piont those who ask to the
        right road.

        Evans F. Mitchell
        KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL; USAF MARS
        ARRL E.C.; Polk County, WCF Section
        ARRL Member
        ARRL WCF SECTION WEBSITE
        http://www.arrlwcf.org
        http://www.polkemcomm.org
        kd4efm _@_ hotmail ,com
        kd4efm at arrl dot net
        IRLP 4128, 4156
        Echo: 1054, 3363, 149429

        > what are the differnces between winlink and echolink? will the wires
        > enabeled radios hook up to echolink? sorry but am very new to all this
        > voip stuff..any help is greatly appreciated:)
        > 73
        >

        > www.geocities.com/ECHOLINK-RADIO/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kg4lmu_r
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2005
          You are incorrect in statement regarding echolink not being linked
          to wires2. Echolink has been linked to all of the other VOIP
          software available including IRLP and wires2.

          --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Evans F. Mitchell KD4EFM /
          AFA2TH FL" <kd4efm@k...> wrote:

          > Ben, I went through all my emails and did not
          > see a reply. SO HERE WE GO.
          >
          > Winlink, not voip software, it is HF vhf, uhf, software for
          sending emails
          > via amatuer
          > radio out of a devistated area. (used by ares groups alot) IT is
          also a way
          > to communicate
          > via HAM RADIO on a daily basis. www.winlink2k.org i think is the
          website.

          > EchoLINK: this is VoIP software. www.echolink.org
          > WiresII: hardware specific and propriatery to Kenwood and it too
          is VoIP.

          > WiresII to EchoLink, to my knowledge, this has not happened and
          probably
          > wont.
          > I have heard wiresII is loosing it's ground (falling to a "OLD
          TYPE" of Voip
          > product, like repeater link 98)
          >
          > IRLP: this too is VoIP and it too is propriatery but in a hardware
          way.
          > (must be connected to a Radio/repeater)
          > IRLP is not a pc with mic and speaker system. A little more
          intensive, but a
          > lot more fun. (my opinion being I run
          > both IRLP and EchoIRLP)
          >
          > My question to you is: What is your goal in mind and what do you
          want to do?
          > What are your wanting to accomplish? personnal use, repeater
          connection type
          > node, portable, ect.
          > no one person is the same, I jsut happen to help piont those who
          ask to the
          > right road.
          >
          > Evans F. Mitchell
          > KD4EFM / AFA2TH FL; USAF MARS