Re: UNABLE TO CONNECT

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
      Check you firewall settings. You have to open tcp and udp ports in
      most cases. Ports are 5198,5199 and 5200. I beleive...`

      --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g1bcl" <m.gardiner@i...> wrote:
      > Hello all.Since changing my computer to WINDOWS XP and moving to BT
      > BROADBAND I can no longer work ECHOLINK. I have double checked all
      my
      > settings but still receive NOT CONNECTED TIMED OUT message. Any
      advice
      > would be most welcome. Regards MEL (G1BCL).
    • Buck - N4PGW
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
        Several things:

        1) are you on DSL or Cable?
        2) What is your IP address?
        3) Did you setup a hardware firewall when you setup your broadband?

        Many DSL operations use an internal router in their systems. For some
        reason, a lot of DSL customers have an ip address starting with 192.168.x.x
        or 10.x.x.x. This is the same as having a firewall, as far as Echolink is
        concerned, but the worst part is, you don't have control over its settings.

        I have a hardware firewall. There are instructions on the internet for
        setting up some firewalls so they can use Echolink, however, they don't all
        work the same. Some do and some don't. I had to set mine up with a DMZ
        and use a software firewall with special configurations for handling the
        riff-raff that comes with it.

        IF you are on cable, you could still have this problem, and some DSL
        services offer internet IP addresses. If you have a regular internet IP
        address (One that points to your ISP here,
        http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html, and you don't have a hardware
        firewall, there should be a fairly easy workable solution. However, if you
        have an internal IP address, you may not be able to work Echolink. Echolink
        isn't very friendly to stations behind firewalls and NAT routers.

        Good luck
        Buck