Network help?

  • David Holt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
      Hi Folks,

      Need some advice. I'm connecting to the Internet via a 2 hop
      private IP network. Let me explain. I am a full time RVer
      connecting to the net through Linkspot. They set up wireless LAN's
      at campgrounds. I have two computers behind the wirelss bridge.
      The bridge connects into a broadband router that serves both of my
      computers. Both my internal (to the RV) network, and Linkspot's
      network use a non-publicly addressable IP address range
      (192.168.x.x) to provide IP addresses to the connected hosts.

      I have contacted Linkspot and they say they are not blocking the
      ports Echolink communicates on. I have set up Echolink as a special
      application (which did not work) and gone so far as to make my
      Echolink computer a "virtual DMZ" meaning it's open to all ports (0-
      65535) for any type of Internet traffic. I've viewed the network
      packet traffic using my sniffer program and I can see outbound UDP
      packets, but none return from the Echolink host I'm trying to
      connect to. For now until I get it worked out I've simply tried to
      listen to different repeaters around the globe, such as in New
      Zealand, the UK, India and Africa.

      Can anyone help me get Echolink running in my particular config?
      I've been through all the FAQ's and troubleshooting guides
      (Echolink's troubleshooter fails on the UDP transmission part), and
      tried various suggestions from other Ham's that I've picked up off
      the Net so far to no avail.

      I realize that when I get a more direct connection to the Internet
      it'll probably solve things but that's not happening until I get the
      5K together for Datastorm.

      Thanks,

      Dave / KC0TLV
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
        Did you try posting this at Bill's site www.echolinker.com.

        --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "David Holt" <kc0tlv@f...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > Need some advice. I'm connecting to the Internet via a 2 hop
        > private IP network. Let me explain. I am a full time RVer
        > connecting to the net through Linkspot. They set up wireless
        LAN's
        > at campgrounds. I have two computers behind the wirelss bridge.
        > The bridge connects into a broadband router that serves both of my
        > computers. Both my internal (to the RV) network, and Linkspot's
        > network use a non-publicly addressable IP address range
        > (192.168.x.x) to provide IP addresses to the connected hosts.
        >
        > I have contacted Linkspot and they say they are not blocking the
        > ports Echolink communicates on. I have set up Echolink as a
        special
        > application (which did not work) and gone so far as to make my
        > Echolink computer a "virtual DMZ" meaning it's open to all ports
        (0-
        > 65535) for any type of Internet traffic. I've viewed the network
        > packet traffic using my sniffer program and I can see outbound UDP
        > packets, but none return from the Echolink host I'm trying to
        > connect to. For now until I get it worked out I've simply tried
        > listen to different repeaters around the globe, such as in New
        > Zealand, the UK, India and Africa.
        >
        > Can anyone help me get Echolink running in my particular config?
        > I've been through all the FAQ's and troubleshooting guides
        > (Echolink's troubleshooter fails on the UDP transmission part),
        and
        > tried various suggestions from other Ham's that I've picked up off
        > the Net so far to no avail.
        >
        > I realize that when I get a more direct connection to the Internet
        > it'll probably solve things but that's not happening until I get
        the
        > 5K together for Datastorm.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dave / KC0TLV
      • David Holt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
          No, I did not know about that website. Thanks for steering me
          toward it.

          Dave

          --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Kg4LMU_John" <kg4lmu@y...>
          wrote:

          > Did you try posting this at Bill's site www.echolinker.com.
          >
          > --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "David Holt" <kc0tlv@f...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Folks,
          > >
          > > Need some advice. I'm connecting to the Internet via a 2 hop
          > > private IP network. Let me explain. I am a full time RVer
          > > connecting to the net through Linkspot. They set up wireless
          > LAN's
          > > at campgrounds. I have two computers behind the wirelss
          bridge.
          > > The bridge connects into a broadband router that serves both of
          my
          > > computers. Both my internal (to the RV) network, and Linkspot's
          > > network use a non-publicly addressable IP address range
          > > (192.168.x.x) to provide IP addresses to the connected hosts.
          > >
          > > I have contacted Linkspot and they say they are not blocking the
          > > ports Echolink communicates on. I have set up Echolink as a
          > special
          > > application (which did not work) and gone so far as to make my
          > > Echolink computer a "virtual DMZ" meaning it's open to all ports
          > (0-
          > > 65535) for any type of Internet traffic. I've viewed the
          network
          > > packet traffic using my sniffer program and I can see outbound
          UDP
          > > packets, but none return from the Echolink host I'm trying to
          > > connect to. For now until I get it worked out I've simply tried
          > > listen to different repeaters around the globe, such as in New
          > > Zealand, the UK, India and Africa.
          > >
          > > Can anyone help me get Echolink running in my particular
          config?
          > > I've been through all the FAQ's and troubleshooting guides
          > > (Echolink's troubleshooter fails on the UDP transmission part),
          > and
          > > tried various suggestions from other Ham's that I've picked up
          off
          > > the Net so far to no avail.
          > >
          > > I realize that when I get a more direct connection to the
          Internet
          > > it'll probably solve things but that's not happening until I get
          > the
          > > 5K together for Datastorm.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Dave / KC0TLV
        • Kenneth Grimard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
            Hi David

            The only way that you may have around this is to connect via one of the
            public echo proxy servers.
            you can find out more about how to set this up via this web page it
            explains in much greater detail.

            Part of the problem is becuase you are behind a double nat setup that is
            not allowing udp packets to pass through
            but allows tcp packets to go through. here is the link explaining in
            much detail.

            http://www.echolink.org/proxy.htm#background

            here is the link listing the public proxies. Make sure you are running
            1.9.890 or higher for a version.

            http://www.echolink.org/proxylist.asp

            ken n1dot

            David Holt wrote:

            >Hi Folks,
            >
            >Need some advice. I'm connecting to the Internet via a 2 hop
            >private IP network. Let me explain. I am a full time RVer
            >connecting to the net through Linkspot. They set up wireless LAN's
            >at campgrounds. I have two computers behind the wirelss bridge.
            >The bridge connects into a broadband router that serves both of my
            >computers. Both my internal (to the RV) network, and Linkspot's
            >network use a non-publicly addressable IP address range
            >(192.168.x.x) to provide IP addresses to the connected hosts.
            >
            >I have contacted Linkspot and they say they are not blocking the
            >ports Echolink communicates on. I have set up Echolink as a special
            >application (which did not work) and gone so far as to make my
            >Echolink computer a "virtual DMZ" meaning it's open to all ports (0-
            >65535) for any type of Internet traffic. I've viewed the network
            >packet traffic using my sniffer program and I can see outbound UDP
            >packets, but none return from the Echolink host I'm trying to
            >connect to. For now until I get it worked out I've simply tried to
            >listen to different repeaters around the globe, such as in New
            >Zealand, the UK, India and Africa.
            >
            >Can anyone help me get Echolink running in my particular config?
            >I've been through all the FAQ's and troubleshooting guides
            >(Echolink's troubleshooter fails on the UDP transmission part), and
            >tried various suggestions from other Ham's that I've picked up off
            >the Net so far to no avail.
            >
            >I realize that when I get a more direct connection to the Internet
            >it'll probably solve things but that's not happening until I get the
            >5K together for Datastorm.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Dave / KC0TLV

          • David Holt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
              Thank you Ken, I will give that a try. I've got the latest version
              of Echolink. Just installed it last week.

              73

              Dave / KC0TLV

              --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grimard <n1dot@u...>