Ameteurs complete 82-mile two-way DSSS link on 2.4 GHz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      mateurs complete 82-mile two-way DSSS link on 2.4 GHz: ARRL High
      Speed Multimedia (HSMM) Working Group member Ken Cuddeback, NT7K,
      reports that his students at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah,
      recently completed two-way direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS)
      communication on 2.4 GHz over a distance of 82 miles. The WSU
      students--which include one ham, Brandon Checketts, KG4NZV, and
      several prospective licensees--broke the current world record of
      establishing a wireless link on 2.4 GHz with DSSS (using IEEE
      802.11b "Wi-Fi" protocol). "Please join me in congratulating Ken and
      his students on this fantastic accomplishment!" said ARRL HSMM
      Working Group Chairman John Champa, K8OCL. Cuddeback says his
      students used PrimeStar dishes with unamplified Cisco Aironet 350
      cards in each laptop. "We set up a NetMeeting session and
      transferred a 2.5 MB mp3 file successfully," he said. The Cisco Wi-
      Fi cards run about 100 mW.