Re: Motorola Fans? Question

  • n9mvm7
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
      If you don't want to invest in a RIB (you can pick up an aftermarket
      RIB for a pretty decent price on ebay with your choice of a cable -
      although quality does vary), there is a site at
      http://www.qsl.net/eb4eqa/gp300_rib/gp300_rib.htm which has
      a "ribless" programming cable. I use the same on my GP300 and have
      never had a problem with it. Construction was a snap with the hardest
      part being actually cutting the circuit board piece to fit on the
      back of the radio - although you could just use some clips instead as
      long as you're careful (probably what I'd do if I built another).

      Congrats on getting a GP350. I looked at the GP300 for years and
      finally had the chance to get one a while back for a decent price.
      Never had a better sounding HT and it's pretty much water and shock
      proof too :)

      Trevor N9MVM

      --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Kg4LMU_John" <kg4lmu@y...>
      wrote:

      > Well I finally jumped on the motorola band wagon and picked up a
      > motorola Gp-350. Anyone ever program one of these things? I found
      > the software and am lookng for the cable..
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16, 2004
        Thats what I have beed looking at the 2 in 1 ribless programmer. It
        programs several radio's including the gm300 which I have been
        watchin a on ebay as well as a couple of other places. I was also
        told ,you have to program them with a P1 cpu or they wont program
        right, a freind of mine has one but he has been out of town.
        Hopefully he'll come off it. Next is the repeater or RICk kit. W8FSM
        told me I would be better off with a nhrc controller because of the
        data port ,seeing how I am on echolink. So for know just getting
        everything together. I cant beleive how much the GM300 vhf radios go
        for, wow. Probably end up going with the UHF stuff first. Then after
        the first of the year start getting a few of the vhf radios.
        Hopefully I can get a few wth the dtmf mics. I bid on one on ebay
        but lost,bummer! Anyway everyone has said once you go motorola your
        hooked so I/ll let ya'll know when things get rolling a little
        farther along in the next few weeks. As for the link, very little
        activity here feel free to stop by and chat. I did link up for Bob's
        N2br's Monday night traders net last night but I had to leave for
        work so the ht couldnt reach into the link. need to get some sort of
        event going? The turkey net is comming hope some of ya'll have time
        to check in.

        --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, n9mvm7 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > If you don't want to invest in a RIB (you can pick up an
        aftermarket
        > RIB for a pretty decent price on ebay with your choice of a cable -

        > although quality does vary), there is a site at
        > http://www.qsl.net/eb4eqa/gp300_rib/gp300_rib.htm which has
        > a "ribless" programming cable. I use the same on my GP300 and have
        > never had a problem with it. Construction was a snap with the
        hardest
        > part being actually cutting the circuit board piece to fit on the
        > back of the radio - although you could just use some clips instead
        as
        > long as you're careful (probably what I'd do if I built another).
        >
        > Congrats on getting a GP350. I looked at the GP300 for years and
        > finally had the chance to get one a while back for a decent price.
        > Never had a better sounding HT and it's pretty much water and
        shock
        > proof too :)
        >
        > Trevor N9MVM
        >
        > --- In ECHOLINK-RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Kg4LMU_John" <kg4lmu@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Well I finally jumped on the motorola band wagon and picked up a
        > > motorola Gp-350. Anyone ever program one of these things? I
        found
        > > the software and am lookng for the cable..
      • Bren Daltry
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2004
          John, I think that I did a while back.... Might have been a different make or model, not sure, but the cable, is it just an 8-pin modular with like 2 or 4 wires that are strangly configured? If so, that isn't that hard to make, I really don't mess with the Motorolas myself....

          www.geocities.com/ECHOLINK-RADIO/

          http://mail.yahoo.com